PDA

View Full Version : Gnu to xmods

NightShadow
03-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi all, I bidded on this Xmod on impulse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-XMODS-SUPRA-NIB_W0QQitemZ220377694118QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_ Control_Vehicles?hash=item220377694118&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:13 18|301:0|293:1|294:50

and I'm worried that I may be making the wrong decision of buying a fun r/c car over getting a Mini-Z.

Please prove me wrong. I plan to not do any racing. Just want a car that I'd be able to at least drift a little with.

Also, how is the proportional throttle on the xmods? I hear for steering its 12 point though.

snowboi1289
03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Just get a Mini,z.

mr.hotrod
03-16-2009, 04:20 PM
not to start a flame war or anything it all depends on what you want to do with your rc if you want to race competitivly get a mini z. if you want more of something to play with just with your friends in a garage get a xmod they will take a little more abuse. i am getting sick and tired of this get a mini z no matter what crap minizs are good and the digi propo on them is nice but they are expensive if you want to shell out the cash go ahead but if you cant afford it go get an xmod they are just as fun and they will handle the abust pretty well but its all up to you.

NightShadow
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM
not to start a flame war or anything it all depends on what you want to do with your rc if you want to race competitivly get a mini z. if you want more of something to play with just with your friends in a garage get a xmod they will take a little more abuse. i am getting sick and tired of this get a mini z no matter what crap minizs are good and the digi propo on them is nice but they are expensive if you want to shell out the cash go ahead but if you cant afford it go get an xmod they are just as fun and they will handle the abust pretty well but its all up to you.

i agree. i too had that rationale when placing my bid. thanks for the comment :D

Bananabrain
03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Sounds like a good deal i got my white supra, with a bodykit for $5 no joke i seriously got it for $5 & it was in good shape. :) And it came with the chassi.

Donziikid
03-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the nightmare, NightShadow.

I'm sure you won't regret purchasing an Xmod. Although they can be slightly harder to drift than a MiniZ, I'm sure you'll fully enjoy the learning process along the way. I would suggest reading the following thread in its entirety; I'm not sure how familiar you are with drifting small scale RCs, so hopefully this'll help if you're not! :)

The 1:28 “Drift Bible” (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5704&highlight=bible), written by Color0.

Again, welcome aboard Xmodsource, please enjoy your stay. If you have any further questions, please post them.

Cheers,
Kyle.

dontspamme
03-16-2009, 07:35 PM
You will want to get tight turns for the Gen 1 chassis. The steering is really bad.

If your drifting with the stock setup and such, get the AWD and drift kit or just tape the tires in scotch tape, electrical tape etc...

Mr.Hotrod has the correct idea. Xmods are more for playing around while Z's are more for competitive racing.

Action B
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Please prove me wrong.

Okay, everyone, tell him what he wants to hear.

NightShadow
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
thanks guys. really reassuring. :D

though the tight turns thing is still over my current skill level since i have not a soldering set nor experience in soldering. i'll probably let a shop do that for me heheh.

mr.hotrod
03-17-2009, 11:21 PM
in august tripple x modder might do it i cant remember if you give him the parts he installs for free

2wdpancar
03-18-2009, 01:02 AM
I won't type it out why the kyosho is better..... give me until next weekend and I'll prove it on video! (2.4ghz modified 2wd chassis running on an open/technical track)

I've done hobby grade xmods, hobby grade mini-z, and kyosho stock owns all 1:28

NightShadow
03-18-2009, 02:50 PM
in august tripple x modder might do it i cant remember if you give him the parts he installs for free

unfortunately that doesnt sound as easily done as it sounds. i live aaaaaaaaallllll the way in malaysia. hopefully my xmod gets through customs alright.

mr.hotrod
03-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I won't type it out why the kyosho is better..... give me until next weekend and I'll prove it on video! (2.4ghz modified 2wd chassis running on an open/technical track)

I've done hobby grade xmods, hobby grade mini-z, and kyosho stock owns all 1:28
look im tired of saying this kyosho is really nice but its **** expensive maybe he cant afford it. Or maybe he/she isnt carefull enough for a 200 dollar rc car. the xmods are great as a start and if you are rough on cars. It is all what you want to do with it. Frankly i loved my mini z before i sold it but i was too **** rough i was replacing parts every two days. so i started playing with my xmods again. They take the abuse way better the only thing i have done to my xmods is burn up the fets or range and i intend to fix both.
so the point to this rant was mini z is not neccsesaraly better than xmods. it is what you use them for.

2wdpancar
03-19-2009, 01:36 AM
He stated he wanted a car to drift with... a stock mini-z can drift decently but an xmod will need more modifications before making it comparable to how it can drift to the ma010 platform. I was just putting my post out there...

SkylineLvr
03-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Just get a Mini-Z. They are the best. lol, j/k. I've had Xmods and I currently own a AWD Mini-Z. I love them both. I'm really into my Z right now, but my Xmods were great. My Mini-Z is costing me a small fortune, lol. My wife really likes to rub it in my face with how much I pay attention to it, and not her, lol.

Xmods are fun. They are cheaper, can handle more abuse, easy to upgrade. I would suggest you get the awd upgrade, at least a stage 2 motor upgrade, and the suspension upgrade. You should also get the drift tire upgrade, but if you have some electrical tape, then just tape your tires up. It works great. I do that with my Mini-Z and it is a blast. I would definitely get the tight turns upgrade. It is really easy to do, and if you know anyone with a solder gun they can probably do it for you.

Good choice of Xmods too (I would have chosen a Skyline though, lol j/k). I really like the Gen 1's. Careful when you take it apart though, the wiring can be a bit fragile. I think you will really enjoy it. If you really start to get into the hobby, then you might want to take a look at a Mini-Z. I started with Xmods, then got a Mini-Z.

Before anyone starts to cry about me bashing on Xmods, I'm not. I just gave my opinion on them (and if you actually read everything I wrote, I didn't do any bashing). I love Xmods, but I'm now into Mini-Z's

NightShadow
03-19-2009, 06:20 AM
awesome. you gais are awesome. xmods are awesome. i feel reassured. hehe.

pardon my newbieness but what does this term "fets and range" mean?

SkylineLvr
03-19-2009, 08:40 AM
FET's are little black transmitters that help control forward and reverse. Upgrading your FET's will allow you to run more power motors. Range means the distance you can control your car. More range means the farther away you can be from your car while controlling it. I know that there is a lot more detail that can go into explaining this, but I thought I would just give a quick and easy explaination.

Action B
03-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Seriously Xmods arent too bad. In my opinion its a really bad idea to drive an mini-z outside or in abusive conditions. Xmods are more durable I think, though, I only race my mini-Z on RCP track which is soft with foam walls, so, I've never broken my car by wrecking.

NightShadow
03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Seriously Xmods arent too bad. In my opinion its a really bad idea to drive an mini-z outside or in abusive conditions. Xmods are more durable I think, though, I only race my mini-Z on RCP track which is soft with foam walls, so, I've never broken my car by wrecking.

awesome. I intend to only do driving and do not plan to participate in any sort of races

civicblack10
03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I saw the auction ended, did you end up winning it?

NightShadow
03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
yes i did. i even bought a body kit and a light kit for it already :D