PDA

View Full Version : A serious PITA

rsx racer
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't know where else to put this but ****! I've tried for about 15 minutes to get the FETs off a mini z board and it won't budge! I've used solder wick to take most of the solder off, but the FETs themselves are a complete pain. Any suggestions?

firebird999
02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
very very very very very VERY gently pry them off with a flathead screwdriver.

rsx racer
02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
I tried but they seem not to want to budge. All I need to do is remove these two to install my 2x2 stack. The stack is already prepared. Tomorrow I'll give the removal another go.

XMDrifter
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
just cut the pins with a hobby knife, then clean up your FET pads with the iron (smoothing it out)

2wdpancar
02-26-2009, 12:06 AM
just cut the pins with a hobby knife, then clean up your FET pads with the iron (smoothing it out)

This is what I do any it works great. I level the blade horiizontally at the bottom of the fet leg... push into the fet... the leg busts. I repeat for all 4 on one side then just pry the fet back and forth until it comes off. I heat the pads up w/ my iron to get rid of the other fet legs still on the board.

SkylineLvr
02-26-2009, 05:37 AM
I used a solder wick and it worked a little. I had to put a small hobby knife under the fet as I heated up the legs with my iron. I would just slowly lift up and one side would pop off. Then I repeated on the other side. Careful though, I accidentally lifted a pad. I was able to repair it though.

Action B
02-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I use the "no lift" technique. I learned it from a member byebye the MiniZracer forums. You don't pry or lift up on the FETs at all. Worked perfectly for me. This is the technique I always use now. If you'd like me to send you the video then PM me and I will email it to you. I don't really know how to host these on a website and link to them.

SkylineLvr
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I would like to see the video

Action B
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I sent that email.

rsx racer
02-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I finally got the fried fets off and installed the new set. As soon as I plugged it in it fried again. There was no bridging, everything was clean. There wasn't even a motor installed or plugged in! The stack just instantly started smoking.

I must have inspected each stack for at least 10 minutes with a microscope to ensure no bridging. The pads were completely clean and the stack went on very easy. I guess this project is on hold; I simply don't have the will right now to do this all over again, lol. How much will it cost to have someone stack a set of FETs?

Action B
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I finally got the fried fets off and installed the new set. As soon as I plugged it in it fried again. There was no bridging, everything was clean. There wasn't even a motor installed or plugged in! The stack just instantly started smoking.

I must have inspected each stack for at least 10 minutes with a microscope to ensure no bridging. The pads were completely clean and the stack went on very easy. I guess this project is on hold; I simply don't have the will right now to do this all over again, lol. How much will it cost to have someone stack a set of FETs?

You have a PM. I do FETs and I don't charge any money for Mini-Zs. I only ask for 2 bucks per Fet so that I can replace the ones I use. FETs really are only a dollar and some change a piece but shipping can also be pricey. If its an Xmod we'll talk. I actually have to take the Gen 1. apart and for the Xmod evo, The FETs must be provided to me, as I don't stock these.

greekone
02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
You have a PM. I do FETs and I don't charge any money for Mini-Zs. I only ask for 2 bucks per Fet so that I can replace the ones I use. FETs really are only a dollar and some change a piece but shipping can also be pricey. If its an Xmod we'll talk. I actually have to take the Gen 1. apart and for the Xmod evo, The FETs must be provided to me, as I don't stock these.

Wish I knew this before I paid $25 for an FET stack. lol

Action B
02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I do them for free, however, since they are for free and not a paid service my work isn't guaranteed. Think of it as your friend doing it for you at your own risk. I've never had one that wouldn't work perfectly yet, however, there is always that chance. So far I have done 5 without a problem. This is especially true for boards that don't work correctly when I get them.

Though, I do have full confidence in myself, I would do (and have done) my own boards in a heartbeat. I feel like I know what I'm doing so well and am skilled enough at doing these that the risk is very low.

Action B
02-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Yeah, I do them for free but only for Mini-Z (because they are easier).
Thing is, I don't charge so I also don't accept any liability. So far so good, I've done my car once and 4 other cars, all work great.