PDA

View Full Version : tgr Sinister?

TAKEO
02-20-2009, 03:58 AM
saw it on atomicmods

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/TGR-Sinister__13540.aspx

is it for mini-z it has the bodies linked to it.
also has any one ever tried it?
how is it?

color0
02-20-2009, 05:01 AM
The Sinister is a Mini-Z conversion chassis, but... it's not the greatest. I will try to be as unbiased about this as possible:

- Sinister's steering mechanism will bind when the suspension is compressed. Needs a lot of handiwork to make it not bind.
- Quality control on CNC parts is not the best, the servo mount holes are not accurate on some chassis and the edges of the CF parts are rough.
- Servo mounting, however, is set far back enough that you can mod your own proper steering linkage onto the car. Very worthwhile.
- Newer Sinisters have rear pod ride height adjustment, good addition.
- Cannot mount Autoscale bodies without drilling two large holes in them to accept body posts.
- Can't use good stainless steel kingpins without some heavy modification (TGR provides their own but they're really rough).
- Rear suspension way too stiff for any track other than Regupol (rubber!) track surfaces. No top damper means it's hard to fine-tune handling characteristics.
- In a crash, the flex plates rub against the screws that go through them, wears through the flex plates just a little bit. Bad for durability over time.
- 98mm wheelbase only. Can go longer if you make your own suspension plates.

So yeah, us GSR guys have spent quite a bit of time with the Sinister...

and then addressed everything we didn't like -- and more -- with the MRCG. :)

TAKEO
02-20-2009, 10:37 AM
wow thats really imformative.haha
thanks.
now im not gona buy one. haha
seems like a lot to deal with

Donziikid
02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Wrong section, bud. ;) Comments/Questions/Complaints/Suggestions is used for C/Q/C/S about the Xmodsource forum, not questions about the hobby itself. Now that you know this is about MiniZs, it will be moved to the following:

Moved to MiniZ/MicroT General.

Cheers,
Kyle.

TAKEO
02-20-2009, 10:44 AM
okie dokie thanks donziikid :]

2wdpancar
02-20-2009, 11:56 PM
I drove a sinister pro and sold it to the G.S.R. team driver....................I didn't like it. The rear grip was really, really bad...flex plates=junk, steering system is hard to work with when you cannot have full flex, and the overall quality isn't the best. The one I got, the newer version, was not top quality... nice to look at but not nice to drive with.
I prefer a stock 2wd chassis over a sinister all day.