PDA

View Full Version : min-z electros question

2jack3jack
01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
ok what is the max amount of winds a mini-z board can take

acerpower
01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
that would depend on which fets your board has.
if it has the old 3004 fets i wouldn't go much higher than stock.
the 3010 fets can take a little more. not sure on the number of winds it can take that would depend on the motor in question, there are other factors besides winds that determine how may amps a motor will draw such as timing,brushes,magnets,com,armature, ect.
i run a pn speedy 07 with my 3010 fet car and i wouldn't go much hotter than that.
you can get some data on the fets here:http://www.mini-z-guide.com/mosfet.htm
hope that helps.

2jack3jack
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
im getting a mr-01

reaper
01-17-2009, 03:21 PM
ok what is the max amount of winds a mini-z board can take

the max amount of winds a mini-z board will take is what ever you can cram onto the armature more winds wont do any harm to your board
fewwer winds will

2jack3jack
01-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Lol I just want to go 25mph

reaper
01-17-2009, 04:43 PM
more winds = more torque
less winds = more speed (RPM's)

so to get to 25 either a high speed motor with a good gearing set-up (not to big that will kill the motor and board)
or a high torque high gear set-up

but why would you want to make a mini-z a dyno queen ?
use it for racing and make you xmods a dyno buster

2jack3jack
01-17-2009, 04:50 PM
I want to use it for track racing sp what should i buy because normally mr-01 were not raced and i want to race them

Skv012a
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
01 is a good start, will let you see day and night when you upgrade to 15 or 02. Fets are defenetly 3004 or lower, so don't expect much out of it stock. Also, its 25 KPH not mph.

2jack3jack
01-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I just want good handling and really good acceeleration

Skv012a
01-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Then get a 2.4 and the best motor it can handle on its FETs.

2jack3jack
01-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Sry wats a 2.4 because I'm not gonna spend 200+ for 2.4 ghz system I want to worry abotu suspintion and moter first wat should I get

Skv012a
01-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Let me put it bluntly- if you get into Zs, you WILL upgrade to 2.4 sooner than later. Since you haven't bought one yet, I'd just skip to 2.4 right away to save yourself the trouble of upgrading(which you can't really do from MR01).

Worry about hop ups after you get used to stock. Then start with front springs, steel kingpins, and alum knuckles. Then upgrade the motor (which will be more difficult without FET stacking/just getting 2.4 board with 2x2 3010 FETs). Then ball diff and so on.

reaper
01-18-2009, 05:39 AM
what ??????????

iv been running an ma010 with a hfay legal motor stock fets and "normal" AM TX and RX
2.4ghz is nice but by no means essential

if you want a fast car right from the box get an mr02
if you want a fast car that will drift and you can upgrade get an ma010 (awd)

the awd will take more money to get up to competition grade but will pay off
the mr02 is pretty much race-able from the box

2jack3jack
01-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Ya I plan to get a mr-02 in due time I just wanna race the mr-01 for awhile

acerpower
01-18-2009, 10:06 AM
there are still plenty of us that still use AM cars, i'm not ready to upgrade to 2.4ghz either, i'm quite used to the slower steering response anyway.
the mr-01 isn't a bad car, still much better than an xmod.
the weakest part of the car is the lack of servo saver but, if you keep your wheel off-sets modest, you should be alright.
sorry the link i gave earlier didn't help. this link http://www.mini-z-guide.com/ has allot of useful info on setting up miniZ's in general, mostly mr-02 but some of the info could pertain to the mr-01.
i wouldn't worry too much about a hotter motor, a faster motor won't always get you around the track the fastest anyway.

2jack3jack
01-18-2009, 01:22 PM
So wat should I do to improve handling

reaper
01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
the best way to improve handling is practice :)
a stock mini-z will out perform the skill you have when you have gotten used to the car its just small things like springs and different degree tie rods
o and the H plate :)

2jack3jack
01-18-2009, 03:46 PM
i plan on getting a moter mount from pn racing also a speedy o7 also the dual shock kit

Skv012a
01-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Check that you can run speedy with stock MR01 FETs. Which mount? And dual shock?? If Disk Damper System works on 01, that's the best you can do for your rear end combined with fiberglass H plate. Front is all springs and spacers.

What 01, like 15, will teach you is perfect handling and tuning. You won't be any faster than an Xmod until you learn to kill body roll via tuning and then via your technique. I'm currently stuggling against an all-MR02 competition with my 15, but I'll be persistent and stick to it to polish tuning tech and driving tech.

XMDrifter
01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
basically, what you gotta do is practice to improve handling. handling = driver skill + suspension tuning
motors don't really play much part in handling except in on-power and off-power situations when you have to worry about how smoothly your motor spins up and down its rpm ranges

2jack3jack
01-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Go to pnracong site and u see watim talking about

Skv012a
01-19-2009, 01:33 AM
There are 4-6 motor mounts by PNracing, so no, I don't know which you're talking about. They all work differently and require different rear suspension setups.

2jack3jack
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Its the only one pn has for the mr-01

color0
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Worry about hop-ups after you know what you want. 25mph or track racing? If you want 25mph, don't waste an MR01 on it. You will not need a 25mph Mini-Z until you race Mod class at the PN World Championships.

If you want to go track racing, which track are you close to? How many laps have you ever driven at your local track? Have you ever asked the people at the track about what to get? Since they race there, don't you think they'd probably know the best about their track? I don't want to be judgmental but you need to know what you want and take your own steps to find some answers.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3A*%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7DKUS&q=mini-z+racing

Skv012a
01-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Color, being a relative beginner myself, it takes ALOT of money to play with all setups and find what one might want. IMO its much better to get an idea of a good all-around car, buy those parts, then see whether it works or not. I'd LOVE to buy both DDS systems, all the motor mounts, camber knucles, etc, but I just don't have a spare $500 to tank on a RC car. I'd love to get one of your chassis, but its way too expensive for what its worth for me right now.

You do bring up an excellent point- finding a local track. No track = no point in any upgrades since you'd never be able to test or fully utilize their potential. Home track is an option given you have the $ and space to spare.

I'd say, jack, buy parts for an all-around setup that you may be able to use outside of 01 for when you upgrade and find/buy a track.

color0
01-20-2009, 12:32 AM
I said nothing about buying anything. :)

Finding out what you want is as straightforward as reading up on what certain parts do, how effective they are, and comparing that data to what you think is missing on your car. I bought my first MR02 with only four additional items: bearings, drift tires, a 94MM motor mount, and an NSX body. I read everything there was to read on the MR02 at the time, and decided that I only needed those four things to get started doing what I planned to do -- drift an MR02. Only later on did I find out that I needed damping (symptoms: poor on-throttle drifting) and thus ordered one of those. As long as you have knowledge, even book knowledge, you can apply it and save yourself money.

Especially comparison tests, if you don't want to buy things to compare yourself, find someone else locally or online who has, and find out what they have to say about it. Thanks to people like yasuji we know that that the latest PN mounts (LCG 94 and LCG 98 V4) are the absolute best that have come out so far; no need to go out and buy the other ones we now know are inferior. :)

This is why it's important to ask local racers for what one needs, because every track is different and like you said, playing around with setups is expensive. There's so much data out there for standard Mini-Z's it's ridiculous, all you have to do is look in the right place and you will get more than enough information.

For example, if you raced at ILR or Kenon, I could be the guy to point out exactly what your MR01 needs: tires, top shock w/ grease, hard front springs, hard t-plate, and bearings. That will get your setup to 90% of what's ideal... no, not perfect, and your car may not be the fastest thing out there, but it's enough to be able to enjoy your car on the track and run well in the Sportsman racing class.

2jack - Motor mounts are unnecessary until you need to run a 10t pinion, and even then you can mod the stock MR01 pod to do so. Absolutely pointless to buy a new rear pod before you even know what the benefit of an alloy one feels like.

Again, I stress the point that you can find out what you need simply by asking the right people, and not us, because I have no bloody idea what your track looks like or drives like! :)

2jack3jack
01-20-2009, 05:41 PM
ty very much and i have been doing some research and i need a speedy 07 and front gpm knuckles

color0
01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I question the amount of research you did if you just told me you need a Speedy07, lol... I don't know of a single club in the USA that still races Speedy07 stock class, they'll put you straight into Mod if you run that motor, and you will get pwnhammered by the people who actually race Mod. No joke.

reaper
01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
jack
in all fairness listen to colouro he REALY knows what he is talking about look over his posts in this thread and read them untill you understand
it will save you a lot of work and a whole load of cash
run your car STOCK till you can keep up with it trust me it will out do you experience

2jack3jack
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
ok ill do some research then mod

Skv012a
01-21-2009, 03:15 AM
I'd say get PN 70 Turn '09 for just $10 or even Salt Lake Mini-Z's Hfay motor and get fully used to those. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but after my 1.5 months of Z'ing, I think I got used to stock motors enough to bump to Speedy. I can keep up with the car and begin fine tuning it not to flip at Sp07 speeds. But thats a full day every weekend against pretty good guys from my area who have semi-mod class cars(only because I don't want to assume its full-mod class cars, they may well be).

So get motors slowly as you get used to them and have full control of the car.