PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me a RC Truck

Sweed
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Alright, been out of this whole RC thing for almost a year now. Dad's like "Whadya want for christmas?", and RC Truck popped into my mind. Kinda miss my Revo, the MC-T is too small to jump and the stampede isn't mine.

So for a truck that's atleast 1:18th or larger, costs less than $180 RTR or ATR, what's good. Are there any RTR Crawlers these days? And how jump-able are these, durable, and modd-able?

Thanks.

SPR
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
your not going to find much of anything for 180 bucks. except cheap tyco's.

id recommend the tmaxx or revo highly. But thats about 300 bucks. might find a good used one for 180ish.

Sweed
12-02-2008, 12:53 PM
your not going to find much of anything for 180 bucks. except cheap tyco's.

id recommend the tmaxx or revo highly. But thats about 300 bucks. might find a good used one for 180ish.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that...

What can I get that's sub $300 new, sub $250 used?

HUMMER H4
12-02-2008, 01:00 PM
A NewBright. :lol:

noturday
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
check out the Losi High Roller RTR lifted electric 1/10 scale r/c truck. looks like its in your price range too
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0103

badass_savage
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
the propulse. Haha
Nah you can get used nitro for that much on eBay, or an e savage used on eBay for that much. Get a mt if u want to jump.

Sweed
12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
check out the Losi High Roller RTR lifted electric 1/10 scale r/c truck. looks like its in your price range too
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0103

It seems so much like a Stampede, and we have a Stampede. :roll:
And the 'Pede is too slow....

the propulse. Haha
Nah you can get used nitro for that much on eBay, or an e savage used on eBay for that much. Get a mt if u want to jump.

Had Nitro, too much work for me.
How is the E-Zilla vs. the E-Savage?
And how fast will they go?

badass_savage
12-02-2008, 03:50 PM
not tooo sure let me look around. I know u could always convert to brushless and lippos down the road.

Donziikid
12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
1:18th
1. Associated RC18T or RC18MT (truck). These are a complete ready to run with a 7.2V NiMH battery, 2 channel AM radio and receiver, ESC and motor combo and assembled chassis. The only thing you need to do is install the antenna tube, charge the battery and place the batteries into the transmitter and you're off. Only thing extra you'd need to buy is the eight AA batteries that power the transmitter. The only difference between the RC18MT and RC18T is ground clearance; I run the RC18MT and love the clearance and handling.

These run $164.97 NIB from TowerHobbies.com.

2. DuraTrax Vendetta ST (buggy). This is a complete ready to run; it even comes with an included set of eight AA batteries to power your transmitter. Downside, in my opinion, is it comes with a 650mAh battery rather than the 1100mAh battery that comes with the RC18's. This means less run time.

These run $159.99 NIB from TowerHobbies.com.

Since the two above mentioned come with everything needed, they're more than likely your best bet. They're both under the $200 mark and can get you started off very nicely in the 1:18th scale world. Both are also offered as touring car counterparts, if you decide to go that route (Associated RC18R and DuraTrax Vendetta TC).

1:14
1. DuraTrax Cliff Climber. This is DuraTrax's first RTR RC crawler. It is supplied with dual 380 sized motors, oil-filled adjustable shock (with aluminum caps) and a 27mhz radio system. The downside is that it runs off of two 7.2V 2/3A NiMH batteries, which you'll have to purchase seperatly.

These run $239.97 NIB from TowerHobbies.com. The two batteries will probably run anywhere from $50-100; depending on brand and quality.

The above is above your $200 limit, but well worth it, as I've heard.

1:10th
1. Traxxas Stampede XL5. One of Traxxas' ultimates, as you probably know from your experience with Traxxas. Since these are down to $140 NIB, they make a great re-entry back into the hobby. Spending that extra $60 you saved on the truck for a great new battery, and you're all set to go!

These run $139.99 NIB from TowerHobbies.com. You could also get one of the XL5 counterparts; Bandit ($135.99) or Rustler ($144.99).

2. Axial AX10 Scorpion. Here you have a few options; kit, RTR or ARTR. Both the ARTR and kit require you to purchase your own electronics and all require you to purchase at least a 7.2V stick or saddle pack battery, NiMH or LiPo is advised. This is a great way to enter the crawling hobby.

ARTR: $249.99.
RTR: $254.99.
Kit: $229.99.

3. Traxxas E-Maxx. Another ultimate from Traxxas; this 16.8V beast is a mammoth and can handle just about anything you throw at it. Downside is the hefty price tag as well as it needs two batteries to function.

These run $369.99 NIB through TowerHobbies.com.

Sweed
12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
So, Donzii, any experience as far as jumping the Rustler?
I thought about the stampede, but I'm leaning closer and closer to finding a used E-Maxx or E-Revo or E-Savage. Like you know the Stampede is fun (lil' bro has one), but it's not BIG enough, nor fast enough.

Donziikid
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought about the stampede, but I'm leaning closer and closer to finding a used E-Maxx or E-Revo or E-Savage. Like you know the Stampede is fun (lil' bro has one), but it's not BIG enough, nor fast enough.

I have yet to drive one off a jump myself, but I've seen it done at local tracks and they take it very easily from what I've seen.

Quickness is a fast and cheap fix. Most of the time you can find a $15-$30 motor at your LHS that'll out perform the stock 12T anyday. Hell, my 17T double is wayyy faster than that 12T from Traxxas. ;)

Sweed
12-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I have yet to drive one off a jump myself, but I've seen it done at local tracks and they take it very easily from what I've seen.

Quickness is a fast and cheap fix. Most of the time you can find a $15-$30 motor at your LHS that'll out perform the stock 12T anyday. Hell, my 17T double is wayyy faster than that 12T from Traxxas. ;)

You think it's worth the price jump to go with the Rustler (or Pede) VXL, and get a nice, high quality pack (but not LiPo, don't have the money), since I already have a charger (and a few cheap Venom 3300 packs)....

I've kinda REALLY missing the RC thing, but I'd like to do this without spending the money, since I won't have the money to fix it every weekend. That's why I love Traxxas, the stuff never breaks. Ever. But I dunno....

Basically, here's what I'm looking for:
1.) Fast. 30mph+
2.) Durable. Must survivie jumps.
3.) Not cost alot, but I'm willing to sell the Micro-T and Mini-Z to pay for them, since it's ALOT more fun with a larger scale one. Hell, I can sell some of my *rare* gen1 parts...

Donziikid
12-02-2008, 05:02 PM
You think it's worth the price jump to go with the Rustler (or Pede) VXL, and get a nice, high quality pack (but not LiPo, don't have the money), since I already have a charger (and a few cheap Venom 3300 packs)....

I've driven the Stampede VXL and loved it. A great system and stays quite cool since it's a lower kV motor (3500kV). To me, the price jump is worth it. A good MaxAmps NiMH battery would power that bad-boy nicely. :)

guitarboy911
12-02-2008, 05:07 PM

i have a rustler (older model).

it takes jumps really nicely. and when you mess with the shock and suspension and get them tuned it looks beautiful on the track taking jumps.

its easy to fix too. (i just broke it actually)

Sweed
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I've driven the Stampede VXL and loved it. A great system and stays quite cool since it's a lower kV motor (3500kV). To me, the price jump is worth it. A good MaxAmps NiMH battery would power that bad-boy nicely. :)

How much is a MaxAmps (and linky, please) battery?
I'm really leaning towards the Rustler (it's lower, handles okay, so on..) instead of the Stampede. Or I'll just bite the bullet and fine a E-Revo/Maxx used and buy that...

Unless I find something else....
Like a BL Baja 5B...

123Vette
12-02-2008, 07:12 PM
i got an electric tamiya df-01 awd.. there pretty capable off road and have a good speed of about 15mph... Ive driven it off 6 foot walls and its still running around like new! not to mention the actaully rc is realistic aka the wheel base is like a normal off road truck would be

stang_racer
12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
if i had seen this like a month ago i would have held on to my savvy for you that i sold for 200, only 20 bucks over lol but ol well just look around on ebay and stuff and see what you like hahhahahaha

clintr79
12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I have a vxl bandit with a mamba 5700 brushless system and i use max amps 4700mah 8 cell and it is fast.

xmodkidd33
12-02-2008, 08:54 PM
DuraTrax Vendetta.

kungpow420
12-02-2008, 09:35 PM
you could get a slash there are big and they are really fun to drive and handle jumps really well. about $200

torredo
12-02-2008, 09:41 PM
HPI Savage /Nitro
if you cant afford that then try a TRX Stampede VXL (i believe thats what its called)

badass_savage
12-02-2008, 10:00 PM
id sell you my savage! i need to fund my next one a savage 4.6 x ss kit i want it yummmm