PDA

View Full Version : August '08-'09 Buildoff '97 Ford P71

AJB32690
12-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Okay, so I know I am entering this comp a little late, but I just got my new car today. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the name "P71", that is the code name for the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I bought it for $250 plus a pair of 6x9 speakers and a head unit. Not a bad deal, considering I offered him my Oldsmobile.

The car itself is nothing special at the moment, everything is still stock, and I'm just waiting till I can get the cash to start working on it.

Current plans/wishlist:
-New paintjob. I'm thinking gloss black.
-Lowered springs. The P71 actually rides a few inches higher than the regular CV
-Replace window regulators. Ford had a genius idea when they put the window motors on the bottom of the door and then run a pulley system up to the window... Not. Only one window works at the moment.
-Cold Air Induction. Gotta have it, since I can't really afford a supercharger...
-Dual Cherry Bombs. I <3 Cherry Bomb.
-Reprogram computer. The P71 has a speed regulator in it, and I want to wipe it off.
-Theres more, I just can't think of them at the minute.

So heres what you guys have been waiting for, the pictures:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/ajb32690/11-24-08_1559-2.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/ajb32690/11-24-08_1600-2.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n71/ajb32690/11-24-08_1601.jpg

SPR
12-02-2008, 01:09 AM
dude we had one of these get left at our shop by the owner, he just abandoned it after getting some work done, i mobbed that thing around for a couple days, those motors are no joke! its got some get up and go! <-- this is coming from someone who drove a 320hp sti...

What are your plans for it?

personally id leave it as is, and crank some more ponies out of it and start spanking every honda on the street. Spank a lot of camaros and mustangs too for that matter lol.

AJB32690
12-02-2008, 01:19 AM
dude we had one of these get left at our shop by the owner, he just abandoned it after getting some work done, i mobbed that thing around for a couple days, those motors are no joke! its got some get up and go! <-- this is coming from someone who drove a 320hp sti...

What are your plans for it?

personally id leave it as is, and crank some more ponies out of it and start spanking every honda on the street. Spank a lot of camaros and mustangs too for that matter lol.

Abandoned it? Lol.

Yeah, the factory rated it at about 215hp, but I have a feeling that is underrated. Wont know for sure until I get access to a dyno.

Not sure about where to go with engine mods other than the CAI. I'm still doing research, like I said, I just bought the car today.

And spanking Hondas? I already do that in my Oldsmobile! This thing is gonna be a beast if I can get the funds that I need to do what I want done to it.

HUMMER H4
12-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Looks old Time to be a ***.

Does it work?

Needs new paint

Needs new headlights

Jesse James should have fun with this one!

Alittle TLC Peez?!

Roof needs to be re upolstered

Just kidding man, Have fun.

stang_racer
12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
yea lol i saw the pics then read the post am i thought ok looks like an ex cop car lol, i can just imagine what people thought when they seen that car on the side of the road thought lol RADAR!!!!!!!! BRAKES!!!!!!!!! hahahaha but yea have some fun with it lol for 250 bucks, cant really go wrong there

texan_idiot25
12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
FUX! Run it in Lemons!!! http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Replace green w/ black, and have at it. I'd love to get a Caprice cop car, and build the hell out of the LT1 with some fat steel wheels-n-tires (able to keep the hub caps this way) to go around playing with.

AJB32690
12-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Looks old Time to be a ***.

Does it work?

Needs new paint

Needs new headlights

Jesse James should have fun with this one!

Alittle TLC Peez?!

Roof needs to be re upolstered

Just kidding man, Have fun.

Minus the paint, this is actually a pretty nice car. The only mechanical problems to speak of are the broken windows, clogged fuel filter and some switch thingy, idk what its called. Paint, headlights and headliner are all in the plans, as well as some TLC.

FUX! Run it in Lemons!!! http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Replace green w/ black, and have at it. I'd love to get a Caprice cop car, and build the hell out of the LT1 with some fat steel wheels-n-tires (able to keep the hub caps this way) to go around playing with.

Lol, I don't want to kill my new car. Actually, I was looking for a Caprice, but found this and decided to go with it.

texan_idiot25
12-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Dude, these P71s are tanks, they survive very well in the 24 hours of Lemons. In the past 3-4 races I don't any had a DNR, and ran mid pack. LT1 Caprice cops were upper pack and could hang in the top 10, even amid buzzing CRXs and back yard Porsches.

AJB32690
12-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Tiny Update: Car is now registered and on the road.

Its hella fun to drive!!! :)

kendallcschm
12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
those things are tanks... thats why cops use them. what does it have under the hood?

AJB32690
12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
those things are tanks... thats why cops use them. what does it have under the hood?

Its a 4.6l modular series V8.

With the suspension set so high, it almost feels like I'm driving a truck. I can't wait till I can afford to get lowered springs...

texan_idiot25
12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
But then how will you ever jump those curbs at 55 mph? :lol:

TheB1GDude
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
With a CAI and tune it should shift.... I wouldn't lower it either... keep it high just stiffen everything up.... upper and lower strut braces, weld a ladder from the front to the back of the chassis then hit the streets...

Also I wouldn't do gloss black - no offense but that's what everyone goes for on their CV's, I know its just my opinion but I'd do something a little more unique.

You should look for a front push bar for it as well :)

AJB32690
12-07-2008, 01:58 AM
With a CAI and tune it should shift.... I wouldn't lower it either... keep it high just stiffen everything up.... upper and lower strut braces, weld a ladder from the front to the back of the chassis then hit the streets...

Also I wouldn't do gloss black - no offense but that's what everyone goes for on their CV's, I know its just my opinion but I'd do something a little more unique.

You should look for a front push bar for it as well :)

Well, it won't be like, really low, only about 2-3 inches lower.

I know everyone does black on CVs, but I like black. I was also thinking of doing it a darker shade of green. Eh, either way, I've got till Feb. to decide on a color, and to patch up the holes and dents.

I was thinking about a pushbar, but idk about that.

I may have a trick up my sleeve coming soon... Depends on if I can find what I'm looking for in the junkyard, which I'm going to sometime next week...

texan_idiot25
12-07-2008, 02:01 PM
2-3 inches is a huge drop on a car. These cars have coil springs all around right? No coil overs or struts? One trick is to measure the height of the springs while the car's weight is on them, and cut a fence post to that height. Jack the car up, pull the springs out, and replace them with the fence post blocks you just cut. Then lower the car back down and make sure the stance is stock. Then remove the blocks, slice and inch, replace them back in, and lower it back down. Just about the easiest and most realistic way your gonna see the effect of a drop.

Plus the cop springs and package will handle better than any drop springs you can buy, unless you go with some SVT or Ford Racing ones.

AJB32690
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
2-3 inches is a huge drop on a car. These cars have coil springs all around right? No coil overs or struts? One trick is to measure the height of the springs while the car's weight is on them, and cut a fence post to that height. Jack the car up, pull the springs out, and replace them with the fence post blocks you just cut. Then lower the car back down and make sure the stance is stock. Then remove the blocks, slice and inch, replace them back in, and lower it back down. Just about the easiest and most realistic way your gonna see the effect of a drop.

Plus the cop springs and package will handle better than any drop springs you can buy, unless you go with some SVT or Ford Racing ones.

That is a really good idea. I found out that there were three different springs that they used in the P71s in the late 90's, Im gonna look into it and see which are better, police or racing.

But of course, I need to fix all the little things before I start working on performance. Going to the parts store tomorrow, and the junkyard wednesday.

kendallcschm
12-07-2008, 06:55 PM
if you make this really nice you might get something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDgwm1J7utQ&feature=related

AJB32690
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Im not quite sure what I'm doing for performance just yet. What I'm thinking of is looking for a 5.4L Triton (possibly accident vehicle that was written off as salvage?) and do a swap. I've heard its pretty straight-forward and most of the parts will transfer between the engines. If I cant do that, then I'll rebuild this engine.

AJB32690
01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Somewhat of an update:

I haven't been able to do a whole lot due to lack of funds, however, I have been working on it.

-The antenna and light bar holes have been filled.
-What was left of the trim has been removed.
-De-badged.
-Cleaned and detailed the engine as best I could.
-CAI installed.
-Mufflers removed. (I've got the glasspacks, just haven't had the time to put them in. It's loud as s*** without the mufflers or tailpipes in!)
-Been cleaning the exterior as best I could before I sand it down.

Pictures and video coming soon.

Random funny story:

I was just outside finishing up the CAI, so I'm under the hood of my car, right? My neighbor and all his friends are ricers. He drives a Nissan 240 Coupe, and the friends that were there at the time drove another 240 coupe, 240 hatch, and a Chevy Cavi (That was riced out...) They were all outside taking pictures of their cars, so I decided to mess with them, show which side of the domestic/import fence I sit on. I start up the engine, go back under the hood, and start revving it manually. (Remember, no mufflers.) This really gets their attention, they all just stop what they are doing and stare at me. Guess they forgot what a real car sounds like, they've been listening to their weed wackers for too long.

Please don't start an import vs domestic flame war here. Its my opinion and no amount of flaming will change that.

Edit: Typo.

okoye
02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Seems to me like you're worse than the "ricers" by taking your mufflers off to show off sound lol your funny dude. sound dont mean a thing. You could have the loudest engine and it still doesnt make you any faster. so...yea doesnt make you cooler

suicide_star
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Seems to me like you're worse than the "ricers" by taking your mufflers off to show off sound lol your funny dude. sound dont mean a thing. You could have the loudest engine and it still doesnt make you any faster. so...yea doesnt make you cooler

and why does this matter to you? whether he has a motor scooter or a mclaren, if he feels like putting pipes on it, more power to him and it's none of your business. it may be in your best interest to ask your mommy for some more attention...you're a belligerent little bastard.

AJB32690
02-03-2009, 01:15 AM

Actually, if you read the entire thing, I was installing glasspacks, but didn't have time to finish it, so I drove without mufflers for TWO DAYS. I didn't take my mufflers off so you could hear my car half a mile away, I took them off because I was putting on a set of less restrictive mufflers, which does improve engine performance by the way. In fact, I tried my best not to rev it up too high while I had the mufflers off. I wasn't trying to be loud.

Next time read the entire post before you start saying crap like this, all it does is annoy me and make you look stupid.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the new stuff.

-Glasspacks are installed, as I just pointed out.
-New speakers all the way around. Lightning Audio 6x9" in the rear and VR3 6 1/2" up front. Also, a 960 watt amp for the speakers. Still looking around for a good subwoofer.
-Getting ready to redo the interior, I just need the time, I've got all the stuff...
-Also once I get the time (**** college... lol) I'm going to start prepping for paint.

okoye
02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
-Mufflers removed. (I've got the glasspacks, just haven't had the time to put them in. It's loud as s*** without the mufflers or tailpipes in!)

Random funny story:

I was just outside finishing up the CAI, so I'm under the hood of my car, right? My neighbor and all his friends are ricers. He drives a Nissan 240 Coupe, and the friends that were there at the time drove another 240 coupe, 240 hatch, and a Chevy Cavi (That was riced out...) They were all outside taking pictures of their cars, so I decided to mess with them, show which side of the domestic/import fence I sit on. I start up the engine, go back under the hood, and start revving it manually. (Remember, no mufflers.) This really gets their attention, they all just stop what they are doing and stare at me. Guess they forgot what a real car sounds like, they've been listening to their weed wackers for too long.

just quoting you, you might wanna re-read that

okoye
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
and why does this matter to you? whether he has a motor scooter or a mclaren, if he feels like putting pipes on it, more power to him and it's none of your business. it may be in your best interest to ask your mommy for some more attention...you're a belligerent little bastard.

um how about you get your head outta your cheeks. belligerent bastard haha do you even know me to start talking smack? and how about you read before you post :D

suicide_star
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
um how about you get your head outta your cheeks. belligerent bastard haha do you even know me to start talking smack? and how about you read before you post :D

that makes no sense...what do you want me to read??? i read the entire thread, that's how i came up with the conclusion that you're a belligerent little bastard. where's your 1:1 car at? if you have some personal vendetta against loud mufflers, why rant about it in somebody's build thread? oh, i know...because you're a belligerent little bastard.

what kind of woofer are you looking for AJB? i have a phoenix gold octane R 15" in a sealed box that i'd sell. the lightning audio isn't bad, but most of the VR3 stuff doesn't hold up long. lightning audio is actually a sister company of rockford fosgate :)

okoye
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
ok first of all you definetly are getting what i said mixed up i dont have a problem with loud mufflers. i personally like straight pipe better throaty sound what im saying is that showing off with no pipes thinking that its any better than a ricer really isnt all that. now if i had said us cars are the biggest waste of space then you could be like blah blah blah. no i simply made a statement saying that running no mufflers and being loud isnt the same as having mufflers and being loud and having the power to back it up.

whats noise with no power?

i dont have a problem with american or japanese spec i have no prejudice when it comes to cars as i love them all..btw for your info i do have a car its an 86 cressida maroon with sunroof auto :/ so dude dont get all ****y im just sharing an opinion so chill its all love on the forums

P.S. there was nothing for ss to read and dude the fact your getting upset is kinda whack but then again int3rn3tz i2 s3ri0us business

AJB32690
02-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Wow dude. Im not even going to respond to you, just stop spamming my build thread. When your little Toyota beats my car on the strip, then you can talk all you want, but I seriously doubt that "car" can even make it to the end of the strip without exploding.

Anyway, I picked up some subs from a pawn shop today. I got a pair of 12" Sony Xplods for $50. Not the best, but they work for now. Everything is hooked up and works, its just a mess.

Not really anymore updates besides that...

greekone
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Are saying that Toyota is crap?

AJB32690
02-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I didn't say all Toyotas are crap. I was referring specifically to his '86 Cressida.