PDA

View Full Version : Traction issues.

Bugeye subie
11-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Okay, so Since I got my xmods, Ive notice my floor is extremely slippery, like bad. Its a great surface too drift on, heck! I can even drift it with soft slicks, and thats the bad part.

I mean, Sure Ive drifted a tad with my car, but it had drift tires, or hard slicks, but I just went down too run it alittle again today, and I wanted too kinda do like a auto cross thing, so I set up alittle coarse, and I threw on Soft slicks, cause I know, Softer tires= best traction, kinda like in real life, Less air = Better traction.

Anyways, I threw on a pair of soft slicks, and I spun, alot, Liek I could serously drift with soft slicks on and thats horrable, Sure im on a hard wood surface but whats gonna help me get traction?

If this helps, car mods are...

-Awd
-Lock diffs
-6th cell
-S2 with 8:25 gears, [ This could be the reason ]
-Soft slicks
-Red suspension in the front, Yellow in rear
-4.5 degree tie rod

Thats about it, Im starting too think its cause the motor gearing?
And Yes, my slicks are Fairly new.

SPR
11-19-2008, 08:26 PM
unlock your diffs and raise your gearing.

RedSXmodder
11-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Heavy trigger finger, to much torque, and a smooth turf usually equals poor traction. Sloppy drivetrain, un-true xmod wheels, and poorly manufactured tires often add to the problem. Do yourself a favor, I know its not cheap, but buy yourself either some GPM rims, or some mini-z rims. Then you can use ridgless tires which come in MUCH stickier compositions.

Other than that, there isn't much to do. Even with 10 degree radials, my car still spins on hardwood...

mustang-04
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
soft treads. i use them all the time on my hardwood floors, almost to much traction at times.

Bugeye subie
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Heavy trigger finger, to much torque, and a smooth turf usually equals poor traction. Sloppy drivetrain, un-true xmod wheels, and poorly manufactured tires often add to the problem. Do yourself a favor, I know its not cheap, but buy yourself either some GPM rims, or some mini-z rims. Then you can use ridgless tires which come in MUCH stickier compositions.

Other than that, there isn't much to do. Even with 10 degree radials, my car still spins on hardwood...

Would mini z rims fit onto a xmod, or would I have too do some customizing?

I think the big problem is too much torque and a smooth surface, cause I can put it on low setteing, and 1/4 throttle and itll spin.
My xmod rims are problay un-true too, they wobble alot, and I know its not my car itself cause it got bearings.

XMDrifter
11-19-2008, 10:01 PM
change to 0 deg tierod, unlocked diffs, taller gearing, red springs in back, yellow in front. after that, just practice not slamming your trigger finger . it's all about how smooth your hands can operate the machine

dontspamme
11-20-2008, 01:10 AM
If you have tried everything mentioned above, take off the 6 cell as a last resort.

Bugeye subie
11-20-2008, 06:34 AM
I know I can smoothly give it throttle, But it still loses traction after about 1/2 throttle.

XMDrifter
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
yeah, i think it's your 6-cell. run the car with the 6-cell on the "low" throttle setting. it should help with your traction

Bugeye subie
11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
yeah, i think it's your 6-cell. run the car with the 6-cell on the "low" throttle setting. it should help with your traction

It did help alittle, Still lost it,
Thanks for all the replies guys! it helped alot, Im just going too start a new drift car now, cause the current one is alittle too ' ballsy ' ATM too drift =].

merc3des
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
You can always follow my 6th cell loop plug tutorial to take off the 6-cell and switch to a 4 cell easily. Look for it under submit a tutorial. You can buy atomic/gpm atomic rims that use mini-z tires. Keep in mind that mini-z tires are of different compound, so look into what tire your buying, if you do.

Bugeye subie
11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
yeah I do plan on doing the Loop, I just gotta get Deans.
and yeah, I plan on getten mini z rims, but do they fit onto xmod axle stubs without modification?

XMDrifter
11-25-2008, 05:45 PM
no. they need modification. just save time and money and get the ridgless rims that were made for xmods

SPR
11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
you realise he is banned right? lol

XMDrifter
11-25-2008, 10:45 PM
yeah. i know. doesn't that mean he just can't post or PM. he can read posts right?

texan_idiot25
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Nope, not with out reseting some of his internet settings.

It was lowrideit, the lying fool.