PDA

View Full Version : Panel lining?

xzc426
11-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Have any of you ever tried panel lining your cars? I panel line my Gundam models but I was wondering how it looked on cars. Any one tried it before?

HA1R3BALL
11-19-2008, 08:09 PM
lol Gundam, who plays with those things anymore

xzc426
11-19-2008, 08:16 PM

You should try answering the question next time. Thanks.

xmodkidd33
11-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Do you mean wood paneling? Try balsa or basswood.

xzc426
11-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Ok, my bad, I didn't realize panel lining was Gundam lingo. Here's one of my gundam models as an example (1/144 scale Gundam Exia from Gundam 00. No paint, only panel lines). You think it'd make a car look to cartoony?
sry about shoving gundam pics into an xmod forum :/
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m71/KIICHl/difference.jpg

SPR
11-19-2008, 10:35 PM
now that i know what you mean. i personally think that is the dumbest "modification" ever.

look at a real car. theres no black lines on it showing you where the door is. You see a shadows and depth in it where it sinks in. Guess what xmods are not flat so you get that same effect. drawing the lines just looks super fake and way retarded in my book. I dont see why anyone would do it.

KITT222
11-19-2008, 10:42 PM
i used to do that to my small scale cars. but yeah, i tried that, but it didnt look good.

xzc426
11-19-2008, 10:51 PM
now that i know what you mean. i personally think that is the dumbest "modification" ever.

look at a real car. theres no black lines on it showing you where the door is. You see a shadows and depth in it where it sinks in. Guess what xmods are not flat so you get that same effect. drawing the lines just looks super fake and way retarded in my book. I dont see why anyone would do it.

lol whoa man, calm down. No need to drive over my question and reverse back over it. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

i used to do that to my small scale cars. but yeah, i tried that, but it didnt look good.

meh, ok. i'll stick to normal stuff then.

SPR
11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
sorry that wasnt intended to be *****y, or destroy your idea. i just think it looks rediculous. you asked for opinions, i gave you mine.

BellDinger7
11-19-2008, 11:19 PM
I've done it many times on model cars and especially model airplanes, and if you do it correctly it looks really good. The way I do it is with a "black-wash" or a "dark-wash." A black-wash is just thinned black paint that flows into the lines and makes it just a bit darker than it is to begin with. Then you wipe away the excess that isn't in the recess. Another way to do it without being so dark is to mix the black with the color of the car THEN thin it out and do the same thing. It looks more like a shadow instead of a black line. You can practice by scribing lines into a scrap piece of styrene and then brush the wash on and try wiping it away. You can also paint it different colors to practice the color wash technique. It's really not that difficult, just takes time and practice. :bigwink: I'll eventually get a camera and show some pics!!
try it!! :nod:

HA1R3BALL
11-19-2008, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=xzc426;193181]lol whoa man, calm down. No need to drive over my question and reverse back over it. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask/QUOTE]

**** dude go change your tampon, you asked for something and he gave his opinion, no need to nit pick, and yeah thats a horrible idea, it would make the car look cartoony...... like gundam........ which is/was a cartoon..... which is for kids.........which nobody watches anymore, mmkay thanks bye

c1v1c
11-19-2008, 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=xzc426;193181]lol whoa man, calm down. No need to drive over my question and reverse back over it. I just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask/QUOTE]

**** dude go change your tampon, you asked for something and he gave his opinion, no need to nit pick, and yeah thats a horrible idea, it would make the car look cartoony...... like gundam........ which is/was a cartoon..... which is for kids.........which nobody watches anymore, mmkay thanks bye

I think you should stop your spamming right now before you get in any trouble...

SPR
11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
and he thought my post was rude, yours was way rude. Post like that really are not needed.

fiberworkz
11-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Here is a Civic done by Bondo:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/niklebaggz/TUT%20pics/P6140056.jpg
[There are better pics of this car but I don't feel like finding them right now.]

IMO it makes the car look to fake, Bondo pulled it off pretty well but in most cases it doesn't look right.

SPR
11-20-2008, 12:30 AM
bondos are soo faint they look decent. but its still on the verge of looking fake.

Bugeye subie
11-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I wanna see a panel lined car, that ISNT done by someone great, like bondo.

TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I wanna see a panel lined car, that ISNT done by someone great, like bondo.

I don't. Save that for the cartoon robots.

Skv012a
11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Show me a car that has a perfect monotone look and I'll agree than paneling is useless. I walked by a few lots today and EVERY car has crevases and seams that make it look good. Heavy paneling may be bad, but light can uplift any car.

On the flip side, heavy highlight paneling makes any car look like a sketch and brings a very nice conceptual feel to it. They also look alot better when just sitting on a shelf with panel lines than without.

Lastly, have all the haters here TRIED it first to say it looks bad?

TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
:lol: :lol: Show me a car that has a perfect monotone look and I'll agree than paneling is useless. I walked by a few lots today and EVERY car has crevases and seams that make it look good. Heavy paneling may be bad, but light can uplift any car.

On the flip side, heavy highlight paneling makes any car look like a sketch and brings a very nice conceptual feel to it. They also look alot better when just sitting on a shelf with panel lines than without.

Lastly, have all the haters here TRIED it first to say it looks bad?

drrr wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skv012a
11-20-2008, 07:06 PM
:lol: :lol:

drrr wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guilty for being narrow-minded. Case dismissed.

SPR
11-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Guilty for being narrow-minded. Case dismissed.

http://i33.tinypic.com/25h1qv8.jpg

kind of like your post... they do nothing...

do u ever read what you write? or think about it at all?

65mustangrock
11-20-2008, 07:14 PM
i think its a matter of opinion. what bondo did looks good to me. then again anything bondo does looks good. real cars have lines like that on the doors and stuff,but some times it just comes down to personal taste.

SPR
11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
except real cars dont have lines like that. No manufacture outlines there cars in black. Your eyes see depth and shadows and see in 3d. This same effect is in xmods. they are not flat pieces of plastic, they have the same depth and shadows in the door jams as a real car. They look more realistic stock than they do with painted lines.

To each their own, this isnt worth arguing over. But Hard Fact. /\ True Story.

Skv012a
11-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Given Xmods size, if every crevase had a seamline, then they would indeed look good without lining. Fact is that they don't, and light lines add that lost depth. A dark gray instead of black can do the job right.

merc3des
11-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Okay guys chillll out. It all depends on how it is executed. I panel lined my silver 350z a while ago and it looked pro. It may look cartoonish when the contrast is huge, but look at how bondo pulled it off. I'll post a picture of my 350z, if its still on my junk computer.

SPR
11-26-2008, 11:12 AM
chill out? you bumped a thread thats a week old, i think we all chilled out a week ago :p

Stampedekid
11-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I was actually gonna do it to see what it would look like, My cousin did it on his 05 Stang XMOD a few years back. He used a thin paint pen but I'm gonna use a thin sharpie to get into small areas. Goin to go test my idea!

XMDrifter
11-26-2008, 02:43 PM
really, who's gonna look at panel lines when the car is flying by?
sure, it could look better if done right, but is it really neccesary?
a lot of 1/10 scale hobbyists do panel lining on theor cars because it makes them look more realistic and less like some random shapeless lexan bodyshell

Skv012a
11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Almost forgot about ink washing. That gives very subtle results when done right and still counts as panel-lining.

wadethejuggalo
11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
chill out? you bumped a thread thats a week old, i think we all chilled out a week ago :p

http://i33.tinypic.com/25h1qv8.jpg

kind of like your post... they do nothing...

do u ever read what you write? or think about it at all?

and he thought my post was rude, yours was way rude. Post like that really are not needed.

Dude come on! I got on and actually browsed for a little while for the first time since this summer and you really started to become *****y. Nothing but Mods yelling at you, don't get me wrong your a really great guy and I appericate and respect you. Its just your being a smart *** and correcting everyones little mistake so i decided I'm gonna correct your big mistake... acting like a mod. Nothing drives me more insane tham someone acting bigger and more powerful than everyone else when they are on the same basis or level. Just take a chill pill relax we are on here for fun not be be a-holes and perfectionest (expect on our projects). I enjoy this place alot but not when stuff like this has been happening.

texan_idiot25
11-26-2008, 04:00 PM
except real cars dont have lines like that. No manufacture outlines there cars in black. Your eyes see depth and shadows and see in 3d. This same effect is in xmods. they are not flat pieces of plastic, they have the same depth and shadows in the door jams as a real car. They look more realistic stock than they do with painted lines.

To each their own, this isnt worth arguing over. But Hard Fact. /\ True Story.
TBH, xmods don't have the same panel gap depth of real cars, and the panel gaps are just as the same as the rest of the car in most light. I can look out at my CST10 and Firebird's body gaps and their near black. When done right it adds to the realism. This is a trick in model building too. Right up there with washing grilles with black to give them depth.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/texan_idiot25/DSC00007.jpg

SPR
11-26-2008, 04:33 PM
to texan...

i see what you mean in that picture. but gotta think of something, in older cars like that, and that close and looking straight down threw a huge gap. so your looking into a big dark engine bay of course its going to appear black. but its not painted on there. look at this photo.

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/h/y/ag_08impreza25_front.jpg

http://www.caranddriving.com/features2/300/Radio%20Controlled%20Cars%20-%20XMODS.jpg

look the same to me..

no black lines when you look at it from a normal angle like you would look at an xmod.

Thats the point in trying to get across, When its done properly and dont very faintly like bondo did, it looks pretty decent. but only like 1% of people actually do it as good as time. most its solid black thick lines, and it looks cartoon ish.

XMDrifter
11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
whatever, each to their own.
just stop arguing cases.
and it doesn't matter if your car has panel lines or not. all that matters is driving the thing.

texan_idiot25
11-26-2008, 04:52 PM
That's looking at my car from eye level.

To use a poor quality picture, doesn't prove a point:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/12/30/198693.3-lg.jpg
http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/blogs/marty_blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/09_wrx_sti_blog.jpg

Look at those easily seen and pretty dark panel gaps on those shiny new Subaru's.

SPR
11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
ok well we are obviously going to get no where. personally i think those gaps look the exact same as you would see on a xmod. the only difference is at certain angles where you can look directly straight threw the gaps you can see behind it, which is a big shadow, and since xmods are all one pieces theres no seeing behind it. so you dont see the black effect. which is why i think the black looks fake painted on. because you dont see black looking at it threw every angle.

the "low quality" picture i posted wasnt ment to hid the lines, it was looking at two cars at the same angle in the same color. the lines look about the same.

KITT222
11-26-2008, 07:26 PM
well i found a way to do panel lining, and make it still look good. gimme a sec to upload them(using our other computer(groan))

oh and just remember, i didnt pay too much attention to what i was doing because im going to re-paint it.

EDIT: took some pics and put them into flickr(photoshop wont work, so i guess ill be using this until further notice)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32792923@N05/