PDA

View Full Version : recomended 540 electric motor?

stang_racer
10-30-2008, 12:59 AM
can a mod please retitle this thread: crazy dagger project thread, and stick it in projects or electric witch i think is where it is...

well i have this tamiya wild dagger that has a twin motor setup, and the little thing hauls but im going to be getting into some club races and im looking for a good set of motors that wont leave my bank account dry, ive already got plans for the rest of the truck like some proline 2.2 dirt works tires and a set of hpi spike rims, and keeping the original body till its toast or should i keep it seeing as though you cant buy them any more, so as far as suspention goes im going with some aluminum arms and some threaded stiffer alloy shocks, now all i need to do is planout a set of motors to buy, please any sugestions but none that are over say 60 bucks a motor

clintr79
10-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Look up fireball motors on tower hobbies or ebay they work good and are cheaper here is a 13 turn 390004307447 on ebay they have other turns just make sure your speed control can handle the turns.

Donziikid
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
You can also check out your local hobby shop for some motors. I know my shop sells a lot of 540 sized motors for fairly cheap; if I remember correctly, I picked up my Epic 17DT (which is quicker than the stock Traxxas 12T 550 sized motor) for $25. Certainly doesn't break the bank and it's lasted for over two years of harsh beating. Plenty of torque since it's a double wound armature as well as plenty of top speed since it still acts like a low wind motor.

TowerHobbies sells a lot of Epic Double Turn motors for $30.

stang_racer
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
well i have a twin motor 3 stage mechanical speed control and it works great and it never gets hot to the touch just a tad warm and i have 3 more that i got with the truck when i picked it up, so if i fry one when i get new motors its ok cause i have more, now i want to stick with the mechanical just for the fact of i have very limited amounts of money, i like the price on those fireballs and i think i might go that way, but i think ill also need a regaering in it too, so what would be faster 18 tooth or 20 tooth, sorry i cant remember whats faster bigger ot smaller at the motor, i ask 18 or 20 because thats the only options i have with the motor mounts to move it has four skrew holes, two for the 18 and two for the 20.

clintr79
10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
well i have a twin motor 3 stage mechanical speed control and it works great and it never gets hot to the touch just a tad warm and i have 3 more that i got with the truck when i picked it up, so if i fry one when i get new motors its ok cause i have more, now i want to stick with the mechanical just for the fact of i have very limited amounts of money, i like the price on those fireballs and i think i might go that way, but i think ill also need a regaering in it too, so what would be faster 18 tooth or 20 tooth, sorry i cant remember whats faster bigger ot smaller at the motor, i ask 18 or 20 because thats the only options i have with the motor mounts to move it has four skrew holes, two for the 18 and two for the 20.

20 on the pinion will make more speed less torque

torredo
10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
yea its all in the gearing man!
but get rid of the MSC and get a decent ESC ,thatll help to which also gives you more run time. even a stock stampede 540 motor geared right could be decent but get a killer one and gear it right....priceless.

stang_racer
10-30-2008, 07:30 PM
well at this point in time i wouldnt have the money for any esc so for now im gonna stick with the stock msc till the funds for a esc are around hahaha, but i think what im gonna do is hook up a dual ceramic heat sink set up so that i can run better dual motors seeing as though i have 3 msc sitting here and one has a ceramic heat sink on it so ill pull that find a diagram for the set up and try that out, worst case senario i blow the msc and i put a brand new one on so i think ive got all the areas covered and planed out except for the motor and i looked at those fire ball 15ts and i think they would more than likey kiil that little truck so i think a fireball 20t set up would do fine, what do you guys think?

stang_racer
10-31-2008, 08:57 PM
sorry for the double post but i want to know if anyone would know how to hook up a dual heat sink set up for a mechanical speed control, and to get the title of the thread renamed to project: crazy dagger, and my other thread for this truck that got no posts deleted if needed.

torredo
11-01-2008, 01:12 AM
i may be wrong on this...
but i dont think the MSC would stand up to it imho

stang_racer
11-01-2008, 01:47 AM
the thing im worried about is it spontainiously combusting on its self and i have a second heat sink here, and the other thing is the goals for this is that it need to go faster than it is and be cheaper than 200 bucks total

clintr79
11-01-2008, 09:40 AM
You can pick up a traxxas 16.8 volt esc off a e maxx on ebay for under 100 if you look and then get the fireball motors and you set for under 140 or less

stang_racer
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
yea, like right now things are really tight for me and i have all of 20 bucks, and im unemployed but looking for a job and handing out resumes, and im thinking if i can not spend a dime and upgrade the msc with putting a dual heat sink, one, its gonna be one off, and two i wont have to spend any money, see where im com ing from?
im not trying to be a stick in the mud in saying that i want to stick with the msc but i have 3 and have to use em up or throw em out because no one uses them and i can, see what i mean i have this stuff already why spend money when i might not have to...