PDA

View Full Version : wires / motor overheat

campbuds
10-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Ok, so I do not have the items in question in front of me. But if it makes a difference I will get the info and post. In the mean time...

One motor was causing much interference, so I soldered on caps. and off I went. (it is a older motor from the late 80's / early 90's "speed works" I believe)

The motor got so hot it melted the solder on the capacitor to motor housing.

So, I tried a newer motor. Still slow but this time when throttled I lost steering (unlike with the other motor). So I dropped a fresh battery in a ZOOM! I was booking. (this motor is a 8T motor which is the limit of my SC)

But this time the battery wires were really hot!!!

What is going on here? Why can't I run stuff without so much heat it may cause damage?

texan_idiot25
10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
High amp draw through small (and thus resistant) wired create lots of heat. It would be wise to re-wire the battery and motor wires with lower guage wiring.

campbuds
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
That's what I was thinking. But can you do new wires to a electronic speed controller? I am not a genius when it comes to soldering.

it is a 9volt 6 cell battery. is it tough soldering new wires to that?

would the connectors cause any problems also? do they need upgraded?

BART
10-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Are you sure it's a 9 volt 6 cell? the only way that is possible is for the batteries to be alkaline. 6 cell rechargeable would be 7.2 volts. 7 cell 8.4 and 8 cell 9.6. Rewiring a speed control can be tricky as the wires are generally pretty close together on the board. You may have binding or just too tall of gearing or too big of tires for an 8t motor. An 8t will run pretty hot in just about anything. And yes, the connectors are generally the biggest problem, especially if they are the tamiya type. Deans is usually the preferred upgrade.

campbuds
10-15-2008, 07:37 PM
your right. It is not a 9volt.

I am going to try connectors first.

campbuds
03-22-2010, 08:13 PM
i realize this is old but i wanted to say the deans connectors did the trick.

Also, now the battery got so hot it melted the shrink wrap off in two uses.

anything i can do about that?

winner
03-22-2010, 08:16 PM
bigger wires= less resistance

less resistance= less heat

my opinion= get biggier motor and battery wires

zippo855
03-22-2010, 08:41 PM
higher discharge rated battery. sounds like the motors pulling too much amperage for the battery., started out heating up the wires, and connectors, now that thats fixed, you found the next weak point. the battery.