PDA

View Full Version : Starting out in MiniZ for my 1st time!

torredo
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
i put my Xmods on hold for now cuz im in the midst of putting together my roller MiniZ MR02. Not much but stock form but ive never owned one before and thought id give this thing a shot. The suspension is far superior to the Xmods by far, much smoother with almost zero slop to it. The electronics are tucked away inside which is alright i guess buy my plans are to get a pan style chassis which AM makes
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19358&cat=481&page=1
along with a few other things to make it better. Ill more then likely get an aftermarket servo & EB if it doest look good enough to me when i pull it apart later on. So far ive installed new black mesh rims w/ alloy lug nuts, removed the rear shock and using the slider discs (not sure on the name of this part?), resoldered the antenae wire back on the board but prob will just solder it straight onto the metal bent wire directly, rebuilt the differential and basically cleaned it up.

this is where the R32 Skyline body (unpainted) comes into play but it seems to be out of stock from AM right now. Ive called them to see what i could do but they dont take pre-orders which is stupid as hell so ive called my local hobby and he seems to think he can get it too. *Crosses fingers*

Its sure feels good to be back in the RC world again! lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/torredo/Picture-3.jpg

RedSXmodder
09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
my plans are to get a pan style chassis which AM makes
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19358&cat=481&page=1

That would be the MRCG chassis from Greyscale Racing, not AM. Color0 designed and produces it...

and moved to mini-Z general

Later,
RedSXmodder

torredo
09-29-2008, 10:13 PM
my bad, appoligies go out to color0!

i dont know how i even got that confused? i know i was on AM when i seen it? dunno?

anyhow...its sweet!!

biggie862005
09-29-2008, 11:15 PM
are the mini-z's that much better than the xmods? i want to get one but ive never really heard of them until i came to this site...

meme405
09-30-2008, 12:04 AM
are the mini-z's that much better than the xmods? i want to get one but ive never really heard of them until i came to this site...

Then you live under a rock...

Yes they are hobby grade products and are THAT much better than xmods...

torredo
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Xmods are like toys compared to any MiniZ

surgeon
09-30-2008, 09:37 AM

It really depends on what you want as to whether they are better than xmods. If you are after performance, go with the mini-z, if you are after customization, go with the xmod. It's like a Honda Civic VS a 350z, it is a lot cheaper and easier to "trick out your civic", but it would take way more money to make it competitive than just buying a 350z.

More often than not xmods are an introduction to the Mini-z, don't feel bad about not hearing about them until this forum, most people on here have used xmods as a bridge into hobby grade.

@ Torredo, the R32....I wonder what color you are going to paint it.:blush:

torredo
09-30-2008, 11:43 AM
i read my last post and didnt mean it so harshly. Xmods are awesome in their own way yes! i still have like 4 of em'
they are fun in every single RC way 100%

but as Surgeon said, its like the 350z of RC for sure.

torredo
10-01-2008, 07:36 PM
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/6935/picture002rv0.jpg

Got workin on this thing earlier, removed the stock antenae wire from the electronic board and re-soldered a new full-length peice, Adjusted the carbide ball differential, lubed the rear slider disc w/70w silicone oil,etc...

next things on the burner....
~ Assemble R32 body when it arrives in a few weeks time.
~ Lower the R32 body on the chassis.
~ MRCG chassis (this thing is frickin insane!)
~ New wheels

Then after these few items and a few runs ill prob start on the electonics by stacking FETs and a better motor.

Scionbeave
10-01-2008, 07:58 PM
nice,i will definately need to start saving up for one of these.

BulletsRain
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd call the Mini-Z more like a lambo, or Ferrari of small scale RC....well, we could just call them godlike. :lol:
Xmods aren't bad at all though, they are the poor man's Mini-Z as someone else said on this forum. :bigwink:

torredo
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
thanks, this is a slow process as time is one factor but the funniest thing its just like my real Skyline....parts are more expensive & harder to get but this could be because i live in Canada (or) because my hobby store doesnt directly deal with Kyosho??

still i love this thing its awesome! i cant wait to get it out on the track hopefully this weekend

Scionbeave
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Do u like it better than ur fastest and best xmod?

torredo
10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
put it this way...

MiniZ = Stock VS Done out Xmod:

Xmod has:
~ Lith Ion uprating
~ Woah Nelly uprating
~ Full RS kits (suspension, bearings, AWD, etc..)
~ Custom mods (Lower COG, Tight turn, etc...)

hands down the MiniZ wins it imho

wadethejuggalo
10-01-2008, 10:11 PM
would it be possible to get a pic of the motor bay it looks like its in the back but on a miniz (i think) that B1G was selling it was on the bottom??? I'm confused

greekone
10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
would it be possible to get a pic of the motor bay it looks like its in the back but on a miniz (i think) that B1G was selling it was on the bottom??? I'm confused

Theres 2 different possible motor positions, RM and MM. RM (rear mount) has the motor mounted behind the diff and MM (mid mount) has the motor mounted almost on top of the diff.It usually changes depending on body choice.

wadethejuggalo
10-02-2008, 06:49 AM
well i found it go to B1Gs mini z sale and it the first one

okoye
10-02-2008, 08:47 AM
well wade the one that b1gdude is selling is an MA-10 which is AWD and the engine is mounted under the car for a better centering of the car

torredo
10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories/Kyosho-Mini-Z/Mini-Z-MR-02-and-MR-015.aspx

mytitan
10-02-2008, 10:03 AM
yes! someone qoated me! i said "xmods are a poor mans miniz", or were you talking about someone else?

XMDrifter
10-02-2008, 05:18 PM
yeah i wanted a z but my lhs ran out. lol they sell pretty well.
i seriously want a mr02

how much did it cost you?

torredo
10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/index.html

torredo
10-03-2008, 02:39 AM
got ****in around with the Z again tonight after sorting through all the Xmod stuff for sale. lol

at first my Z had no juice what-so-ever, ran a few tests (VDC & Continuity) and got that sorted out but then ran into a steering problem where the wheels corked straight off to one side when you powered the radio. Tried playing with the radio settings with no luck and even took the Z apart again to see inside to see if there was binding or something out of place. This wasnt the issue so i turned to a thread off of MiniZracers to find it was the adjustment made through the top front panel into the POT. This was the fix and finally....i get it fired up for the 1st time!! god **** i love this thing!
very different indeed from the RS XMods! i find it alot more harder to work on then the XMods as things seem to be alot tighter to get at, the servo on the Z is litterly gears and what have you once the tops popped off unlike a boxed servo you see on most RCs out there. Although its a sleeker design and smoother transition i still feel this is not what i want in a Micro car, so with that being said i think ill turn my attention to the MRCG chassis as i mentioned previously. Then i can run a seperate cased servo up front and my own saddle-battery-pack, etc...
for now it will do but it is surely nice to see it finally running.Also surprised me to see the Rayovac 800MaH 15-min rechargeables work as theyve been sitting in my basement for a few years now.

torredo
10-04-2008, 03:02 AM
....i couldnt help myself!!! Bwhahaha!!
im about to use this body for my Z

http://www.freewebs.com/ztune/supraz%20002.jpg

In the process of mounting an Xmod Supra body onto the MR02 chassis.
to do this means busting off the sideplate mounts from an existing MiniZ
body and using epoxy to permanently have them on this Supra. Then
a front body mount similar to that of the Xmod will need to be mounted
up front on the chassis. Ive ripped off as much of the unecassary parts
from the Supra (still doing so....) such as the spoiler, fake exhaust, Xmod
rear clip, side view mirrors, etc... as this all means weight and besides
that, would just get busted while driving so i dont care, its binned! lol

HUMMER H4
10-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Nice,Isnt tht the one your selling?

torredo
10-04-2008, 03:22 AM
was one of them yea, but now its trashed! lmao!
had to cut all the original mounting from under the shell out.

making the front clip will be the challenge.

HUMMER H4
10-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Lol,Well looks like there goes a Sell...Hope you can do it!