PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Off Topic

taiwanesekid05
09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Just wondering, besides the fact that people can aimlessly spam the off topic section, is there a faster way to get threads onto the section? I know that just putting it on could spam it up; however, if someones really wants to post something important fast, such as "Zomg, help me with my computer", it takes upwards of 12 hours before it appears. Can the mods come to the rescue?

imnotmikal
09-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I also have a question about the OT, sorry if this is classified as thread jacking.

Can I make my own personal off topic thread in which when some random thought pops into my head, I can just post it there?

meme405
09-19-2008, 07:23 PM
I also have a question about the OT, sorry if this is classified as thread jacking.

Can I make my own personal off topic thread in which when some random thought pops into my head, I can just post it there?

I really doubt theyd let you do this, because what if others want such a thread too. I guess they could make a thread like they did for the real cars section in which you can post anything that you want to talk about. But up to a certain point its just going to be 25+ pages long and no one will read it anymore...

TheB1GDude
09-19-2008, 07:41 PM
The way off topic is set up is that all new threads require mod approval before they come visible to the public, so there is no time limit is just when a mod views the section and see's that something needs to be approved.

The reasoning behind this is to stop the huge amount of spam that bots / spammers typically post into off topic sections and I'm afraid that because of this reason it can not be changed.

Please don't PM the mods immediately after posting something we will get to your thread when we get to it....

Oh and to people who are using the gamers corner to get around this I just want to let you know that the same rules will be being applied to that section as well.....

taiwanesekid05
09-19-2008, 08:53 PM

That's called a blog XD. Just make one at blogger.com and put a link in your siggy.

Thanks b1g. Is there a way to allow certain members to post off topic threads as soon as they submit them? That way newer member or spam bot cannot post in the off topic section without the screening whereas the older members that have more responsibility and such immediately post them?

imnotmikal
09-19-2008, 10:24 PM
That's called a blog XD. Just make one at blogger.com and put a link in your siggy.

I had one for a while, but took it out of my sig.
Although, I guess I will put it back.

GearHeadV8
09-20-2008, 02:54 PM
where are doing what the thread is about OFF TOPIC

it would be nice to be able to post a thread right away for the older members

imnotmikal
09-20-2008, 05:36 PM
it would be nice to be able to post a thread right away for the older members

I'd prefer that accounts are at least a year (or maybe 2) old, OR you need like 1,000 posts to do that.

BART
09-20-2008, 08:51 PM
The way off topic is set up is that all new threads require mod approval before they come visible to the public, so there is no time limit is just when a mod views the section and see's that something needs to be approved.

The reasoning behind this is to stop the huge amount of spam that bots / spammers typically post into off topic sections and I'm afraid that because of this reason it can not be changed.

Please don't PM the mods immediately after posting something we will get to your thread when we get to it....

Oh and to people who are using the gamers corner to get around this I just want to let you know that the same rules will be being applied to that section as well.....
Apparently everyone who is still asking missed this, so I quoted so that it can be seen again.

meme405
09-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Apparently everyone who is still asking missed this, so I quoted so that it can be seen again.

I dont think its that people missed it, its more of their denying it. Their not denying the fact that there are spambots and such, but the fact that they to spam. And the fact is that spam often they do...

BART
09-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I dont think its that people missed it, its more of their denying it. Their not denying the fact that there are spambots and such, but the fact that they to spam. And the fact is that spam often they do...

:nod: