PDA

View Full Version : 1:18 Scale On Road Chasis (RC18R)

THE EDJ
09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
After two years of college I earned myself a diploma as a Mechanical Engineer Tech. I have also very recently started a new job as a mechanical designer for an oilfield company. I get to work with some really cool 3D modeling software called SolidWorks and it has sparked a new interest in RC for me again. Last summer I did a project with my Associated RC18R and it ended up being a butchered speed demon that I can't keep running. It is far too fast and constantly breaks parts. My current setup includes a Tekin Mini-Rage ESC and 5600 kV motor, an 11.1 V lipo, carbon fiber drive shaft and a couple other miscellaneous parts. It's super fast but handles very sluggish and it eats up diff's like potato chips.

Basically I want to design something very high quality, super light, responsive, and really, really good looking. I should have a home copy of the software by tomorrow night, so you might be able to see a couple teaser shots of what I have in mind by the end of the weekend.

Just a few basic specs: Every part that can be carbon fiber will be carbon fiber, any detailed part that needs machining will be made of 6061 T6 Aluminum. The chassis will be made to work with all stock suspension and drive components, and consequently will work with after market parts as well.

I'll keep this thread updated as progress happens.

amorton94
09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Awesome project! sounds like a lot of work, but also sounds like alot of fun when your finished! Can't wait to see it finished!!:o :o :D

meme405
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I remember your RC18R, there was a video up here before you even finished half of it and it was already crazy fast.

This should be VERY interesting. Good luck, as i tried this and failed miserably. Then again I'm not an engineer (hope to be after university) but right now im doing no better than a carpenter...LOL

Stampedekid
09-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Nice! I used Solidworks in school. Pretty cool program. Congrats on graduating! Yeah I remember your beastly 18R. Should be a cool project.

THE EDJ
09-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Nothing much going on here, but its a pretty basic illustration of what I'm going for. This is all based off of basic measurements with a ruler so I'm going to need to get a set of calipers and get more precise measurements.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/EDJ_RIDER/chasislowermainplate02.jpg

This is a rendering, I'm not sure why it ended up all off side when I saved it.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/EDJ_RIDER/chasislowermainplate01.jpg