PDA

View Full Version : Nascar

65mustangrock
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
NASCAR.
yes or no?

BulletsRain
08-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Nascar is cool...the crashes are cool....but after a while, going in circles really gets you no where. Except pass the other cars. It is fun to watch though..or at least I think so. :)

texan_idiot25
08-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Horrendously boring on TV.

Very cool in person. (done that a few times)

Very entertaining on road courses. (Right turns along with heavy braking really turns these guys crazy)

Their stupid powerful and used to be capable of over 200 mph, what's not cool about that?

But their are far better forms of racing. And after the 80s and mid 90s got really boring as NASCAR officials tried more and more to make the cars equal spec. This gave a lazy excuse for manufacturers to stop making their production cars better to meet NASCAR rules.

taiwanesekid05
08-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Don't like it. Most of the races boil down to people making left turns. Only the street races like at Infineon are cool.

Donziikid
08-14-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm certainly not old enough to remember NASCAR back in it's finer days, but I am old enough to know it was way better back in the 70s than it is today. Now the only thing that's holding you from the lead is a good set of tires and a fast pit stop. That's no fun; they should go back to the good ol' days where it relied on driver skill and the amount horses running under your hood. Now that everything has to be within certain regulation.. just took the fun out of it. Plus letting Toyota in didn't help my fancy for NASCAR any further..

But, somehow I still find myself next to a radio or in front of a TV every Sunday it's on to see who's gunna win it. Matt Kenseth is my favorite driver. Unfortunatly Kyle Busch and his Toyota are out in front when it comes to the standings, but I'm hoping Roush's Carl Edwards will be able to pass him up and win the Chase when it comes down to it all.

I'm hoping I can make my way to the Michigan race this weekend to watch Kenseth win. If he places well, he could get bumped up a few spots and within the next few weekends get locked into the chase. He does well at all of the upcoming tracks which includes Michigan this weekend, Bristol, Fontana, then Richmond and onto Dover.

texan_idiot25
08-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Donzii- actually... now that these cars are all running with identical cars, the only thing to rely on is limited setup changes and driver skill.

Before, you could get away with a bad driver, and have a faster car thanks to the different engine, and body rules and manufacturers releasing their production cars with changes to make them better in NASCAR... Think of the 80s Monte Carlo SS aero-back, the last one GM put out just for NASCAR.

The more these became spec race cars, the more they became about driver skill, which is NASCAR's excuse over the years to finally get to the COTW, which every single car is identical (body, engine, weight, everything).

Donziikid
08-14-2008, 01:36 AM
Well, the way I see it is that all the drivers can only do the best they can and it all ends up in the hands of the pit crews and how well those Goodyears are gunna run; whether or not they have enough life in em' to get you those five-hundered miles.

I find it hard to believe driver skill has much to do with anymore, especially seeing how all of the Veterans and Rookies reacted to the CoT last year. When the races last year were run with the CoT very few Veterans (or drivers who typically place in the top five) were getting very good finishes while all of the Rookies were having Happy Hour on the front stretch grass.

That's just my philosophy, however. Hell, I think there are martians, so what do I know. :dunce:

snowboi1289
08-14-2008, 02:11 AM
I watch it alot, infact my TV is mostly on Speed channel or on a music channel.

If you dont wath nascar or even like nascar and you a man (or you consider yourself a man), then there is a problem in your life.

I'm sorry if that offend you, but every dude I know like nascar, and thats alot of people, even some of my past girfriends watched nascar more than me. I felt it was really getting to far when she said she didnt like Dale Earnhart, that went to far. I dont always remember everybodies names, but when I watch nascar on tv, and have a ice cold beer, then I'll remember fairly fast..

I will diffenitly agree with texan, its better in person. To smell the exuast of them cars, to hear that sound, to see the green flag raised, its just perfect.
But there are bad things about sitting on the benshes in the hot sun. Bring your hat, sunglasses, and a crap load of sunscreen.

AJB32690
08-14-2008, 02:31 AM
This is why I enjoy the small-time races at the local track here. So what if they arnt doing 500 miles, and there are only 15 cars, the cars arnt all the same. Different bodies, different engines, different drivers, and you dont have to strain your eyes to see whats going on when they go back field. Plus, when theres a crash, its pretty much in your face, lol.

I lost interest in NASCAR around the time they started using restrictor plates. Forcing the cars to slow down made it kinda boring. And now, the cars are all the same, its almost like a contest of luck now. If only NASCAR was more like Days of Thunder, maybe then Id be building a race car in my shed, getting felt up by "police" and starting demolition derbies in the streets and beaches :lol: .

texan_idiot25
08-14-2008, 02:55 AM
If you dont wath nascar or even like nascar and you a man (or you consider yourself a man), then there is a problem in your life.
I wouldn't say that.

Live in person aside, it is incredibly, absolutely boring racing compared to every other form of racing. There's no rapid lead changed. No real interesting battles. Man and machine aren't on the edge of control. Sorry, plenty of real men don't look twice at NASCAR. Desert racing, that's a real man's sport.

snowboi1289
08-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Yes on the dessert racing, but when your going how fast nascars actually go around a turn, that gets your thoughts of a crash, or the cars running into the wall at high speed is what alot of people like. I like nascars because its american racing, not just because its america racing, its going fast in a car. Nascar is cool, but dirt track racing. You get some high speeds, wrecks, mud/ dirt, and much more. I havent been to a nascar race in a long time, but I wish I had enough money to go over to Daytona beach one day, hey, I actually will, sooner or later.

texan_idiot25
08-14-2008, 03:40 AM
180 mph flat out is fast, but tracks are not particularly challenging (there's only 2 ways around an Oval, high side and low side...). And you only see the real drivers shine out on the road courses when these cars are really thrashed.

I find diving down from 150 mph hard on the brakes with a car 3 inches to your left trying to make a pass on the same hair-pin corner at 80 mph with 3g's pulling at your guts to rip you out of your chair much more exciting then going left for 2 hours. Racing in a 900hp truck with two feet of suspension travel over an unrelenting desert terrain not fit for walking or a typical 4x4, much less for hitting in excess of 150 mph and taking jumps at triple digit speeds over 20+ feet of air time with the crowd 3 feet off your door handles, scattering out of the way of your chrome-molly tube front bumper.

For christ sake, the drivers have enough time to sip drinks out and put them back into their cup holders in NASCAR. I guess that is american... :lol:

Titantaw12
08-14-2008, 07:43 AM
I watch it sometimes but its really not my favortie sport. I See it on speed chanel alot

kendallcschm
08-14-2008, 08:15 AM
street racing and stock car racing is cool.... going around in circles(nascar) is boring. i can drive in circles and no one would watch me....

imstock
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Nascar is nice, but who in their right mind can sit there for HOURS and watch the cars go around in circles. The only important part is the first 10 laps and the last 10. Everything in the middle is fluff. Sorry.

stang_racer
08-16-2008, 04:54 AM
well if nascar turned into the austrailian super cars i would watch it ALOT more, 900 hp, wings, stock cars turn race cars, flying accross the grass at times, road courses no ovals speeds up to the point where your sitting on your lazyboy thinking ok now thats just scary, and drivers that im my mind are out of theirs, now thats racing, oh and btw they race in the rain too and not on 7 year old rain tires

Sweed
08-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I watch it alot, infact my TV is mostly on Speed channel or on a music channel.

Me and you are very much alike. My TV's on Spike on the Saturday morning, Speed during car shows (not racing), or on Satalite radio.

But, I don't like Nascar. Doesn't entertain me to watch sports, I would much rather be in them. And watching racing makes me want to go race (and doing it legally requires quite a drive), so it's not good for me.

No, I don't like Nascar, but never really watched it or even got into. I'm not gonna hate on it, maybe I'll watch sometime.

KITT222
08-16-2008, 12:41 PM
i like to watch NASCAR. mainly because my dad works for Best Buy, and the #19 is the Best Buy car. but sadly in the race that Best Buy sponsored, their car wrecked, taking with it some points leaders.:D

im a different kind of person. i like to watch the race (especially when Dale Jr. is up front:bigwink: ) but the crashes are fun too.:roll_eye:

meme405
08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I think of it this way:

If they didn't run Nascar. Gas would be cheaper, same goes for most other kinds of racing.

I mean come one they run these huge engines day-in, day-out, practicing, qualifying, racing etc.

Just think about the amount of gas one of those cars uses in a week doing that constantly then multiply it by the 30+ cars in the field on any given week.

Then add that up over the Nascar season and think about how that was gas for you for your entire life...

The same goes for most kinds of racing. needless to say i do watch Nascar sometimes and dont really enjoy it... but Racing in itself i guess i do watch enough that i do causse them to keep doing this...

BulletsRain
08-16-2008, 03:15 PM
They do use a lot of gas, but I thought they cut laps off....like the Daytona 500 used to be 500 laps, and now I heard its 250...

Same with the Indi 500 I believe....

stang_racer
08-16-2008, 04:14 PM
no cause then they cant call it the daytona 500

65mustangrock
08-16-2008, 04:46 PM
its called the 500 because its 500 miles not laps. simple math: 250 (number of laps) X 2 (daytona is a 2 mile track) = 500