PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho Mini-Z Bodies on XMODS Gen1 Chassis

OneFastDC5
07-29-2008, 01:34 PM
I was cruising around atomicmods and noticed the Mini-Z bodies for relatively cheap.

Though I will be doing a lot of modding to my RSX, I had my eyes on the AE86 corolla, thinking it would be cool to be able to have a drift setup and have the 86 body to snap on when I wanted it.

How difficult is it to get the Mini-Z bodies to fit onto Gen1 chassis?

I assume there is a lot of custom work that has to be done - or maybe there are pre-made brackets for certain applications?

Or maybe I should get a Mini-Z also? Thoughts?

TheB1GDude
07-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Pretty straightforwards - use the search to see what you can find on mounting model bodies as the process is pretty much the same....

SkysTheLimit
07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
If you're looking at serious modding (I don't know how serious) but assuming over 100 bucks, then just get a Mini-Z. You'll have more fun with the true proportional control.

To get a Mini-Z body on a gen 1(be sure it's either an 86, 90 or 94mm body) you'll need to fabricate a custom mount in the rear to attach the body clip to. This way, you can lock the clip into the chassis as you would a normal Xmods body.
In the front, you may be able to get away with a standard Xmod clip, but usually you'll have to also make a custom front clip. Many people take an Xmods clip, cut it in half, cut the Mini-Z clip in half, then super glue them together.

OneFastDC5
07-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I may get a mini-Z at a later date - I got such a good price on a NIB RSX starter kit that I had to have it - plus I also just picked up a NIB RSX Body Kit, Stage 2 Motor Upgrade, suspension upgrades, and some wheel/tire sets. Got all the addons for around 20 bucks plus shipping, what a steal!

I really wont be doing much serious modding, (in terms of motors/electronics, etc) but I love to do paint and body work. I would really just like to have a fun, cheap chassis that I can have a lot of different completed bodies for.

youngxmodder
07-29-2008, 02:17 PM
i was reading awhile back that some person drilled holes in the battery pack holders and glued screws in the holes and drilled holes in the side of the body to match for ride height and all you have to do is try to do this yourself and try to find a front clip. if i remember right.

SkysTheLimit
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
You could do that, in fact 2 screws on each side could compensate for the body height and front clip (like how the bodies are held on the Iwaver 04)
However, this would look extremely tacky, and for a lack of a better way to put it, dumb.
If you don't care about how it looks though, it's a sturdy way of mounting.
For a flimsy way, you can just put velcro on the battery clips and inside of the body.

youngxmodder
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
@skysthelimit: it may be dumb but it doesn't add to much weight as bondo/putty does and its a small hole it doesnt look that bad.

SkysTheLimit
07-29-2008, 07:16 PM
I didn't quite mean that it was dumb;
I meant that it would look kinda dumb. Structurally, it's a good idea.

youngxmodder
07-29-2008, 08:43 PM
oh ok that clears it up.