PDA

View Full Version : acura rsx wing question

yippee
07-28-2008, 01:47 AM
I just bought an Acura RSX starter kit a little while back. i was wanting to buy the body kit for it, i just have one question. How do you mount the wing? all of my other cars have had holes where the wing went, but my RSX does not. i was wondering how you go about mounting it. do you have to drill holes?

WhiteMKIV
07-28-2008, 01:48 AM
You gotta drill out the hole, kinda sucks, its liek that for the civic too, if youlook on the bottom of the body you will see 2 little circles under the truck lid and you drill those out...

dontspamme
07-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Yep, you pretty much have to drill your holes. The samllest drill from the tool kit will work best.

stang_racer
07-28-2008, 01:53 AM
ya isnt it like a 3/16th size hole??? anyways your best bet is to go with a size thats clsest to the size of the skrew for your wing

bondo
07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
ya isnt it like a 3/16th size hole??? anyways your best bet is to go with a size thats clsest to the size of the skrew for your wing

3/16 is about the size of the post on the wing. the actual hole is 2mm wich would be roughly 3/32.

you don't need a drill bit to get the hole. just use a hobby knife and twist it until you bur the hole out enough to get a screw through.

spitfire
07-28-2008, 01:20 PM
noooo! dont geto rig your car. lol. just take a drill bit just a TINY bit big than the screw and put it in an electric drill and you'l be good.

but dont getorig it with a hobby nife, ya the wing will hide the marks but you want to keep the car as clean as possible.

zippo855
07-28-2008, 01:30 PM
noooo! dont geto rig your car. lol. just take a drill bit just a TINY bit big than the screw and put it in an electric drill and you'l be good.

but dont getorig it with a hobby nife, ya the wing will hide the marks but you want to keep the car as clean as possible.

apparently you have no idea what bondo was talking about doing. they make different kinds of hobby knifes, not just the ones in xmod tool kit. they make smaller ones with thinner tips. I've used this method myself. its not ghetto rigging. and why would you start on the top any way? the circles are seen from the bottom side.

XmodzICON82
07-28-2008, 03:00 PM
i would agree with bondo....or you can use a drill bit the same size as the screw....but if you use a drill bit you dont want to put it in an electric drill because you may mess it up...besides the drill bits in the tool kit allow for you to twist the drill bit.....

bondo
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM

noooo! don't question an advanced member when you don't understand what their saying....:bigwink:

i can make a perfectly cimetrical hole up to 3/8" with a hobby knife. after that it starts to get a bit lopsided.
i actually prefer this method to changing a tip in my dremel.
it's faster and their is'nt a **** thing wrong with it.

stang_racer
07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
ya i agree with bondo on this one i never thought of a hobby knife lol completely for got about that way!

XmodzICON82
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
i agree again with bondo...i have actually done that with a hobby knife and almost would prefer doing it that way instead of a drill bit....

meme405
07-28-2008, 08:05 PM
i held off on doing mine because i was to busy to break out the drill... when i got it out for an actual job then i just drilled it...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/meme405/23-06-07_1439.jpg

you better not put the big one on, cause thats just RICER...

bondo
07-28-2008, 08:25 PM
i held off on doing mine because i was to busy to break out the drill... when i got it out for an actual job then i just drilled it...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/meme405/23-06-07_1439.jpg

you better not put the big one on, cause thats just RICER...

nothing wrong with drilling, i just find it easier/faster to take my hobby knife to it.
call it personal preference.

FWIW, that wing right thurr, looks great on 50% of the stock Xmod shells.
my personal favorites for that wing are the civic and the 05 mustang.....looks great on the RSX too.:bigwink:

off topic:
the Civic wing also looks great on alot of cars;).
the "wild" 05' mustang wing looks like rice on ANY Xmod shell......:lol:
that little "fart catcher"(roof vent) on the NSX makes a GREAT template forroof vents for just about every other car.

spitfire
07-28-2008, 10:22 PM
so to be honest ive never seen or heard of this tool you guys are talking about. is it like an excato knife attachment? i mean ive been doing modeling for yearsss.

and sorry if what i said earlier came out kinda of wrong or strong. i didn't mean to try and question you guys i was just giving my opinion.

WhiteMKIV
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Wooooo! first arguement for spitfire......Ok, you guys are trying to make this member confused or what? lol just drill a hole for the screws no big deal. personally i would leve it wingless and find a nicer looking wing for the rsx

zippo855
07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.hobbico.com/tools/hcar0100.html
the knife in the top picture works just as good for making holes as drill bits.

spitfire
07-28-2008, 11:03 PM
cool my father mite have one. ill look later.

XmodzICON82
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
a hobby knife is the same thing as an x-acto knife....

spitfire
07-29-2008, 12:19 PM
well... theres tons of hobby knifes out their. i have about twenty different hobby knifes that serve a different purpose.

yippee
08-03-2008, 03:05 AM
LOL, i go MIA for a few weeks and have all of this to come back to.

thank you everybody for any suggestion that was given. to be completely honest i havent really looked at the underside of the RSX shell very well at all. I'll do that now that i know for sure what needs to be done and get a better idea of which route i'd like to go. thanks again to everyone.

spitfire
08-03-2008, 10:14 PM
no problem just trying to help (lol!).