PDA

View Full Version : Gen 1 Pinion Removal

aaronz350z
07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
does anyone know how i can get the pinion off of a gen1 stage 2 motor without a pinion puller?

TheB1GDude
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I've never been able to do it without a pinion puller! Those things are really stuck on there!!

I guess maybe you could do the old heating it up so it expands and then use pliers to try and get it off but of course you would have to watch the arm!

Dark Knight
07-23-2008, 02:23 PM
pinion puller? couldn't you use a flat head crew driver?

Surgeon
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I've never tried on a gen1 motor, but on the extreme180, I held the arm with a pair of oversized pliers and gently pried off the metal pinion with a flathead. Take your time so you don't break anything and give it a series of gentle pries from different angles so that you don't put all of the pressure on oen side potentially damaging the arm.

Dark Knight
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
whoa! were did my last post go? oh well here it is again.

yeah, if you dont want to buy the pinion puller just use some heavy pliers. be careful though

Surgeon
07-23-2008, 10:55 PM
whoa! were did my last post go? oh well here it is again.

yeah, if you dont want to buy the pinion puller just use some heavy pliers. be careful though

Your last two posts were deleted by two different mods, because they were spam. If you bothered to read my post, I had already covered that while also going in depth as to the technique involved.

For future reference, if somethign dissapears, it is probably because you did something wrong. I can forecast quite a few posts dissapearing from you.

XMDrifter
07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
i've tried removing pinions from gen 1 motors with pliers, and it pushes the spacers on the inside part of the arm out of place, and basically i have to rewind the motor and push the spacer back in place.
my reccomendation is to skip the headache and get a pinion puller

aaronz350z
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
i've tried removing pinions from gen 1 motors with pliers, and it pushes the spacers on the inside part of the arm out of place, and basically i have to rewind the motor and push the spacer back in place.
my reccomendation is to skip the headache and get a pinion puller

same thing happened to me so i just bought a puller

OneFastDC5
08-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Are the pinion pullers expensive?

dontspamme
08-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Not really, Their about $15+ Not that expensive. XI has it in stock for $20.