PDA

View Full Version : Bondo/body filler questions

snowboi1289
07-20-2008, 01:35 AM
I know it might seem like I already know this, but I dont. This is the first time I've worked with bondo/body filler,lol.

When I sand the parts I have layed bondo/body filler on down, it seems really smooth. But when I painted the (lets say) front bumper( the part I put bondo/body filler on), I let it sit for awhile (I painted it yesterday), After I let it dry for a long time, it still seems kinda wet, or as some people say, sticky. If I press hard enough, I know my finger print will be stuck in the paint. I have re did it. Its still in the bondo drying time.

Do I use primer it then paint it the color I want, does it matter what paint I use ??

I will try to get picutres up in an hour or so of the bumper and bondo tupe.

youngxmodder
07-20-2008, 02:16 AM
if it feels sticky it might be that you put a little to much paint on cause i painted my civic rear bumper and it doesnt feel sticky i put bondo/body filler over the grove to make it smooth and when the paint dried it was not sticky at all that might help a little not alot but a little.

WhiteMKIV
07-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Did you put enough hardner in it? Yes i would deff spray primer down on it, make sure the body filler is fully dry, sanded down with proper grit such as 320, and feather edged. Just some tips can you grab some pics of it?

snowboi1289
07-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Hardner ?? Remember, I know nothing of bondo and such, so I'll need help. I put 2-3 coats of paint. Do I have to use primer on it, I really would hate to go and grab some more paint.

WhiteMKIV
07-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Hardner ?? Remember, I know nothing of bondo and such, so I'll need help. I put 2-3 coats of paint. Do I have to use primer on it, I really would hate to go and grab some more paint.

If you ddint use hardner in it you mixed it wrong.......is the bondo still mushy or tacky

snowboi1289
07-20-2008, 02:46 AM
No, it feels really hard. At the auto shop, they told me that this was all I needed. I just got a tube of the bondo stuff. It says on the tube "Bondo
Glazing and spot putty".And I also picked up the sand paper that I need (320), and some wet/dry sand paper.

jasonoos
07-20-2008, 03:00 AM
okay ill give u a quick tutorial on bondo okay first u take the putty stuff that should be inside that is gray like, put as much down as u want on some cardboard or something, then take some of the red stuff in the tube then mix the two together until it looks pinkish then apply wait till it hardens sand and prime then paint.

P.S. the more red stuff u put the faster it will harden

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj112/Carterd_bucket/Bondo3.jpg

snowboi1289
07-20-2008, 03:10 AM
It alread comes in a redish color. It hardens, and its pretty smooth. I think what might be the problem, is that I didnt use the kinda sand paper that I should have. I didnt use th 320 sand paper, because I left it in my car. I just picked it up a couple hours ago, so I might re-do it again.

mustanglover
07-20-2008, 03:38 AM
that putty already has hardener in it so no worry's.

snowboi1289
07-20-2008, 03:52 AM
http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aero/Bondo/catalog_item324b.html?itemNbr=760 This is exactly what I got.

mustanglover
07-20-2008, 04:11 AM
yes that has hardener in it already.

snowboi1289
07-20-2008, 04:38 AM
I knew it. Today, I'ma goin to sand it down a lil' more. The reason why I wanted bondo, because I hate the spoilers on the Firebirds, I mean I HATE THEM !!!! Spoilers are mostly for lil' ricers.

xmodkidd33
07-20-2008, 09:51 AM
No they're not, if done in a tasteful manner. :)

Leave the Bondo to dry overnight and sand it then.

XMDrifter
07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
heh my first experience with bondo sucked. i couldn't get the hardener stuff to come out of the tube, so i waited like, 3 weeks and it didn't dry because i didn't have any hardener in it

snowboi1289
07-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Get this http://www.3m.com/US/auto_marine_aer...ml?itemNbr=760 stuff, it comes with hardener. I just repainted it, and I'm going to see how it turned out.

donaldo88
08-24-2008, 09:23 PM
I was sort of surfing around, and didn't realize until I got down a ways, you guys are talking models, not cars. I've done both, and an old friend used to call me Bondo King, because I helped him fix his s___box cars.
SnoBoi, Bondo body filler requires hardener and it is for bigger repairs and mods. It has to be sanded preferably with wet paper, maybe #600 to really feather out. You said you got some spot repair stuff. Thats only to hide sandpaper marks and really fine scratches. True, you don't add hardener to that. But if you use it to fill large holes or low spots it will take a long long time to dry, then may puff up when painted. At least that's the way it works on real car bodies.

snowboi1289
08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I was sort of surfing around, and didn't realize until I got down a ways, you guys are talking models, not cars. I've done both, and an old friend used to call me Bondo King, because I helped him fix his s___box cars.
SnoBoi, Bondo body filler requires hardener and it is for bigger repairs and mods. It has to be sanded preferably with wet paper, maybe #600 to really feather out. You said you got some spot repair stuff. Thats only to hide sandpaper marks and really fine scratches. True, you don't add hardener to that. But if you use it to fill large holes or low spots it will take a long long time to dry, then may puff up when painted. At least that's the way it works on real car bodies.

This is an old post of mine. Just leave person/spammer. I know how to use body filler, the stuff I got is perfect for what I need it for.

spitfire
08-25-2008, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=donaldo88;178285]
SnoBoi, BonIt has to be sanded preferably with wet paper, maybe #600 to really feather out.

dude you shouldn't wet sand the bondo. if its to smooth and shiny, the paint will run and not stick to the surface of the car. trust me, i work in an auto body shop. ive made the mistake before.

sorry snowboi for posting here i just had to put my two cents in ! lol !