PDA

View Full Version : Project cheap mud bogger

snowboi1289
07-12-2008, 04:37 AM
Well, being its summer, and I have not been muddin' in a couple weeks, I figured, hey its time to take the xmods muddin' again.

So, I found a couple parts in a couple places around my house. Put some cheap, but effective gears together, and it crawls ok, the LARGER servo is not professionaly mounted on. I'm not good with mounting stuff like this on, like making the mounting brakets and such. So I got some electrical tape, and started taping it up, or I guess you can say around.

I dont have pictures right yet, because I kinda feel bad that it looks noobish with electrical tape, so when I fix the problem, I'll edit with good pictures.

I dont think it will have a steering servo or a board, it might just have a Large servo, a switch to turnm it off, and a 9v battery to power it. Its a custom chassis, so it doesn't weigh alot at al. I'm sure I'ma goin to use a Hummer body I have laying around, but if I find a cheap body around on the web, or around here, then I might be able to buy it.

I'm planning on re-building the mud pit soon.

What it might look like(picutre this):
A Hummer body
Large servo motor
Small lego tire (not the really large ones)
Foam rims
4WD upgrade
No dark grey chassis

Thanks,
Snowboi.

mustanglover
07-12-2008, 05:08 AM
if you are looking for a hummer body i got a SUT. you might have to cut out the bed a little for the servo.

snowboi1289
07-12-2008, 05:10 AM
I already got a couple I'm not using. The SUT verision will not work any way, it has to have alot of room unduner the body, so the servo fits.

mytitan
07-12-2008, 08:18 AM
im making a muder out of a car chasie

snowboi1289
07-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Ok, why are you tellin' me this ??

Well, I f***** the other style of the mud bogger that I did awhile ago. It kept skipping, so I threw the gears in a small ash tray, and watched them b****** burn!!! I got a new chassis set up, and will take pictures soon. Since the servo is so big, the Hummer body will not fit on with a front clip, so I have to find a way to mod the front, and rear.

I've got to say this, if you want to custom make a chassis, be sure to have extra and back up parts if everthing goes wrong.

Edit: Also, "mytitan", its spelled mudder, not muder, just to let ya know.

Edit, again:
Heres the pictures and small video(the battery is going dead, so its not that fast);
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/snowboi1289/Xmods%20and%20rc%20cars/IMG_0759.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/snowboi1289/Xmods%20and%20rc%20cars/IMG_0760.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/snowboi1289/Xmods%20and%20rc%20cars/IMG_0761.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/snowboi1289/Xmods%20and%20rc%20cars/IMG_0762.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/snowboi1289/Xmods%20and%20rc%20cars/IMG_0763.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/snowboi1289/Xmods%20and%20rc%20cars/IMG_0764.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdrqjo3pRwU

aaronz350z
07-12-2008, 08:32 PM
looks like a hard build, good luck with it

snowboi1289
07-12-2008, 11:34 PM
It was hard to make up the plans, and hard to measure everything, but wasnt not hard to build.
I might have to make the servo water proof, and make all the front and rear gear housings closed, so no wet sand will get in the housing, and lock all the gears, so it wont move.

snowboi1289
07-13-2008, 02:56 AM
I was waiting for somebody to say something bad about this project, but its hopeless. I would like idea's, and suggestions.
I'm going to try and lift it as high as I can, without it effecting the suspension, and drivetrain.

To clean all the dirt and mud out of the chassis, I took off the servo, switch, and battery, and then just threw (I didnt actually THROW it, I lightly set it) in the sink with that was full of water.

I might not work on this project for awhile, because last night, I had to go to the hospital, because I sliced my finger, picking up a cut part of my Maxima. I never got pictures, sorry.
But I am trying to draw out a chassis plan, and where the electronic may go.

Keep in mind, the chassis will be almost submersible.

Boost101
07-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Looks good! Except, if you hit a bump or something really hard, it might snap in the middle. And you'd have to cover up those gears some how. How is the servo going to get power? You can't hook a 9v to the EP or it would be toast. You could put the EP in the body. Flip the body upside down and tape it in there, or something like that. Looks like you might have to raise the chassis some, it looks kinda low. Good job so far! Was the injury bad? Hope you get better soon..

zippo855
07-13-2008, 12:02 PM
the way i read it your just going to have have the battery and servo motor with an on off switch right? no steering no ep? should keep it simple and make it work fairly descent. any vids of it in action.
later
chuck

xmodificationer
07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I was waiting for somebody to say something bad about this project.

It sucks. Happy?

:dodgy:

snowboi1289
07-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the comments!!

zippo855, theres a video undert the last picture in post #5.

Boost101, I dont think the middle will ever snap, there very very strong. Its hard to even bend them. The main gear, that goes with the servo is ok, I would rather keep them in the open, so I can see if it came off or not. If those gears break, then I got a couple extra ones.

xmodificationer,I does suck right now, how low it is.

xmodificationer
07-13-2008, 05:37 PM
get some slammed rims, and stretch some lego tires over.

Get a smaller servo. You'll get the same amount of torque, and it will be alot better. Better yet, get a Tamiya Gearbox.

Wheres the board?

snowboi1289
07-13-2008, 06:54 PM
No board right now. I might not use a board. I'm not getting a new servo, I spent $14. for this one awhile ago, and I dont wanna spend alto f money on this mud bogger, thats why the name is, "project Cheap Mud Bogger".

I spent way to much time trying to get that servo to fit correctly, so it has to stay.
I have some lego ires on it right now, with the foam wheel upgrade rims. The lego tires will not setch the far, the tires are already craking from me trying to put some larger rims through it.

theruns
07-13-2008, 10:23 PM
hhhmmmmm that is really gonna cause some delimas. this is actually sounding like an annoying project

snowboi1289
07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Nope, I love it, its cheap, and it might be a very good project, when done.

amorton94
07-14-2008, 03:49 PM
looks good, arent those lego tires? they look great on there

snowboi1289
07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Yep, lego tires, and foam wheel upgrade rims. They fit perfectly.
I showed this to some of my friends, they laughed, then they thought it was cool. They said, once it starts to get better outside, we might take it down to the pit, where they go muddin'. The chassis might not come back working or even still in good condition, I might not take it, if we do go.

xmodificationer
07-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I just realized thats the hummer body I sent you...

snowboi1289
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Yep. I actually started to look at it, and I noticed, it was a real good paintjob.

amorton94
07-14-2008, 11:55 PM
i really like that flat black paintjob, it looks really good

snowboi1289
07-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Thanks, but the paintjob wasnt from me, it was from xmodificationer.

The project has stalled. I'm going back to the Mustang Boss project.

amorton94
07-15-2008, 02:43 AM
yah i noticed that when xmodificationer siad that that was the h2 he sent to you:D

xmodificationer
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Yep. I actually started to look at it, and I noticed, it was a real good paintjob.

stangdude94
07-15-2008, 04:06 PM
get some bigger tires and wheels

snowboi1289
07-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Thats what I've been trying to do. I got some video's of it being in mud, I dont know if there on my youtube account yet.

snowboi1289
10-09-2008, 07:27 PM
The chassis was a total loss!!! A friend sat on it by accident(I think). We were drinking one night, and we were tired of standing up, and he sat down on the chassis. I heard it, I didnt care at all, maybe because I was also drunk. I think I woke up the next day and saw it, and threw out the chassis (except the xmods parts). I have now rebuilt the servo, and added it to the hummer chassis. It works perfectly, I tried to drive it in the backyard, but there were so many leaves. I just forgot about the backyard for awhile. I'm making a new custom mudd pit (how do you make a mud pit custom ? throw spinners in the mudd, lol), just forget about the "custom" part.