PDA

View Full Version : Kaze's New Micro RS4 drift

Kaze
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Not too long ago i decided to move into the RC hobby a bit more, and with my experience being only on xmods I opted to stay Electric. HPI's are known for being great starters, the Sprint 2 Chasis's Sport variance is supposed to be one of the best On Road starter kit.

I went around to LHS's and looking online for the Sprint 2 Sport, however due to them not having it in stock and the prices online, I opted to a smaller HPI, and seeing that the Micro RS4 was going to be discontinued parts would be hard to find, but prices would be good. Lemme tell you, the simple chasis design helps so much to understand the basic layout and mechanisms used. The Kit came with tuning options too, from Wheel/Tire displacement (with 3 different wheel styles to choose from), to ride hieght, and even a Solid Rear Axle. The standard motor delivers a good amount of torque and speed, even with the standard battery.

One of the interesting things is the D-box. This little chip is made to help control drifts for beginner drivers. It helps with the hardest part of controling a drift, the counter steer when delivering certain amounts of acceleration. It's a neat little device and so much fun, Ironicall it's because of this assisstant that i learned how to drift my Xmods. The electronics range is rediculous as well, I had to have driving it about 1/8 to 1/4 mile before losing sight of it lol. The only complaint i hold at the moment with it is that the front dogbones broke too easily, but thats due to driving surface and road noise in the shaft more than structural weakness. Here it is:

http://photos-767.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v290/113/68/54901767/n54901767_30823952_9894.jpg

http://photos-767.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v290/113/68/54901767/n54901767_30823954_191.jpg

http://photos-767.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v290/113/68/54901767/n54901767_30823956_446.jpg

Chasis: HPI Micro RS4
Make/Model: Mazda RX-7 (FD)
Color: White w/ "Stage-D" Decals and stripes
Wheels/Tires: BBS Wheels (Gun Metal) with HPI Drift Tires (hard plastic)
Power Supply: Intellect 7.2V 1400mA Battery Pack (Ni-MH Primary)
HPI 6V 600mA Battery Pack (Ni-CD Secondary - Came with the RTR RC)
Upgrades: Steel Dogbones
Future Plans: Get Parts to tune for Grip Driving (and switch back and forth)

kungpow420
06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
I was going to get a micro rs4 like a month ago but my lhs didnt have any in stock so I got a tt-01 d since they have tons of parts for them and I dont think they are going to get discontinued any time soon. How well does it drift?

TheB1GDude
06-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Nice man very nice! I've been thinking about those myself but am currently obsessed with Mini-Z's maybe when I tire of them I'll go to these as they look really cool... hows it run?

Kaze
06-06-2008, 05:52 PM
The drifting is so stable, like I said before, learning to drive this car gave me the general idea on drifting an Xmod, so thanks to this I can hold an Xmod Drift now too lol. That D-Box is something else, it does countersteering for you depending on how much help you set it to, theres a little knob on it that controls the sensitivity of the assist.

I'm working on getting grip tires for it so I can try grip driving. The fact that you can adjust how wide your wheel stance is is amazing. Theres three settings depending on how you slide the wheels on, completely wide, inbetween, or exactly with the axle. The front has this too but doesn't go nearly as wide as the Rear Wheels.