PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer Paint Q's

taiwanesekid05
06-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I just have a few simple questions about lacquer paint (by Testors)

1) Is is just like any other spray paint?
2) Will I have to lay down a primer?
3) Are there any problems I might encounter while using this paint?

Here's a product like it:
http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2834

texan_idiot25
06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
It's way worse for your lungs then regular paint. Pretty sure you can easily get away with out clearing it. Primer is recomended, but not needed IIRC. Most 60s 70s, and some 80s cars used it until enviromentalist said it was bad.

suicide_star
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
i bought a can to test it out...got a metallic orange, it looks really rough and ghetto...i wouldn't recommend it...i actually took my time painting it, let it flash like it should, still looked horrible, not because of my painting skills but because the metallics are too big for 1/28

taiwanesekid05
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Would this tut help me out? I think it's based on painting with lacquers.

http://www.briansmodelcars.com/tutorials/tutorial/12

bondo
06-06-2008, 11:41 PM
for one, you arent buying a laquer, your buying an enamel.
it may say laquer on the can but it is nowhere near what used to go on autos.
the EPA outlawed proper laquers for private use.
nowadays the only way you can get a proper laquer is to pay outrageous taxes and be liscesned through the government.

for two, there are a lot of problems you might encounter with enamels.
read the directions on the can and adhere to them fully.
if it says only paint in 50% humidity and in suggested temps then follow it.
any other problems are due to human error.

taiwanesekid05
06-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Ah... ok, so possibly SS just messed up... Thanks Bondo!

Wait, just wondering, how would I achieve a humidity of 50%? Do I just wait for the humidity to rise via mother nature or could I change it myself?

bondo
06-07-2008, 01:03 PM
humidity depends on your location.you can buy a small barometer for about $5 wich will tell you the humidity.
the humidity will vary from indoors to outdoors but you can control the humidity with humidifiers ans de-humidifiers.obviously this wont affect the humidity outdoors but in an enclosed area it will do the trick nicely

ask your parents if you have either.
be sure to check the can for the proper reccomendations first. you may not need either

suicide_star
06-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Ah... ok, so possibly SS just messed up... Thanks Bondo!

Wait, just wondering, how would I achieve a humidity of 50%? Do I just wait for the humidity to rise via mother nature or could I change it myself?

the paint came out out pretty even and such, but like i said...the metallics in it are kind of big for our scale, unless you just want a ghetto looking paintjob.

taiwanesekid05
06-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Hobbytown USA didn't have that color paint in stock... So I bought some Tamiya paint (yay!) A bit expensive though, but I bet it'll be worth it.

BTW, is it pronouced Ta-mi-yah or Ta-may-yah?

fieldfairy2
06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Tamiya (ta-mi-yah) is the best stuff you can get in a spray can or for an airbrush. You will be very pleased. Light coats tho. If you use light coats it won't run and get under your masking.