PDA

View Full Version : june cotm suggestion

firebird999
05-29-2008, 08:58 PM
how about a "simple mods" comp? by simple i mean:
must be an xmods body
no more than 1 tone paint (excluding 09 camaro and white nsx if left unpainted)
nothing requiring tools other than the xmod toolkit ones and a dremel.
only radioshack chassis mods (excl. paint)
limit 1 custom made/ mounted body part (2 if side skirts).

seems like it could give the noobs a fair chance. whaddya say?

texan_idiot25
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Interesting suggestion, I'll leave it open for discussion.

But, the reason we have these sort of comps is to make you build something beyond your abilities. Keeps things interesting.

2wdpancar
05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Everyone has a fair chance, you can do lots of crazy things for cheap.

texan_idiot25
05-29-2008, 09:09 PM
I didn't spend more then 20 bucks on my entire car! :lol: Minus the cost of the car since it was a gift.

firebird999
05-29-2008, 09:20 PM
wait, really? where did you get the rims then? those are $25.

bot, i know what the point of these things are and i know that everyone has a good pontential, but i'm just thinking, for the sake of the newbielets that make less than $5 a week we could make a simpler comp. i guess there could be more custom parts allowed, or raise the amount of paint allowed (or both), but my point is that there should be a simple competition for the economically challenged/kids/noobs.

POST 777! it's my lucky... night...

texan_idiot25
05-29-2008, 09:32 PM
The black ones are $5. The centerline wheels, not used for the project (though tried on, yes) are 20 something, but were a gift.

Now your post 778 :lol:

SkysTheLimit
05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Well in that case, we could have a budget. Say no more than $10 of modification on a car you already have, or no more than $20-25 for a new car (Xmods are about $17 now.)

Truly the Camaro I've entered didn't cost too much. I paid $21/22 with tax for the car...that was how much they were.

For the paint, this was the only expensive part. I used many different paints on the car, including silver, white, black, clear, primer, yellow, gold, flourescent orange, and more. These add up easily but the actual white paint was less than $3.

The angel eyes costed almost nothing, just being a bit creative. I suppose you could factor the cost of materials like sandpaper and sharpies but I don't consider them to be much. The spinners I've had for years so they don't add to the cost. Trust me the Camaro costed less than $50 to build.

However I would be interested in this contest. I love the simple clean cars opposed to the radial extreme cars.

Surgeon
05-29-2008, 09:37 PM
If you add limitations like that, you are just making the competitions superfulous. The competitions are an assesment of skill, and skill doesn't necassarily mean money. A can of spraypaint and clear coat can be purchased reasonably inexpesively, and a model kit can be found at bargains (discount, of course). The real assesment of skill are the ones who make due with what they have. Take the jeep for example, the skill wasn't there to adapt a truck chassis for it, so it was made on an adequate car chassis. That is creativity and gets points from me.

Just try to think outside of the box, and you will do better in your competitions. Look at xmodifications scratch built detail items, they are made of ordinary househould things, but the application is extraordinairy.

firebird999
05-29-2008, 09:52 PM
true, very very true. but i do like the $10 budget limit idea. that would be cool.

BART
05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
If you want this comp what do you propose as a prize? I for one see your point but I'm not putting up big bucks for a near stock car. Donzi has it set up where the person with the best prize contribution picks the theme.

firebird999
05-29-2008, 09:55 PM
oh yeah, i forgot... well, i'm flat broke... oh well...

BART
05-29-2008, 10:04 PM
oh yeah, i forgot... well, i'm flat broke... oh well...
The prize does not need to be money, last comp was a gen1 supra if i remember right.

c1v1c
05-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Well You can start a build-off with whoever wants to build something similar to you. No need of a price jsut building to have fun and showoff ur skills.
Might be a good idea?

texan_idiot25
05-29-2008, 10:05 PM
That's what this comp was.

Go balls out.

BART
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
That's what this comp was.

Go balls out.

Thats what MY comp was,, the next could be "who has the prettiest flowers on their xmod". All depends on who steps up to the prize plate.

firebird999
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
The prize does not need to be money, last comp was a gen1 supra if i remember right.

yeah... but i love my collection, plus i want a traxxas stampede so nothing will go unless it's sold.

BART
05-29-2008, 10:11 PM
yeah... but i love my collection, plus i want a traxxas stampede so nothing will go unless it's sold.

Well I guess you see things different than me.

firebird999
05-29-2008, 10:24 PM
i think i'm seeing that sentence different than you too... (meaning i don't understand)

BART
05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
i think i'm seeing that sentence different than you too... (meaning i don't understand)
I was willing to sacrifice for the benefit of another. I will gain nothing from the current comp. In my opinion the world would be better if more people felt the same.

theoriganalRiD3R1967
05-29-2008, 10:32 PM
would i be offending someone if i were to add a sugestion? b/c i do not by any means want to invade...

texan_idiot25
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Go ahead :)

theoriganalRiD3R1967
05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
cool, what if "we" were to have a comp in which contestants try to make a replica of a popular car, that everyone/mostly everyone knows? different cars from everyone most likely

texan_idiot25
05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Like what I did with F-Bomb? (even at the sake of not using those badass Centerline rims)

firebird999
05-29-2008, 10:47 PM
I was willing to sacrifice for the benefit of another. I will gain nothing from the current comp. In my opinion the world would be better if more people felt the same.

well, i do see from essentially the same perspective, it's just that i like to benifit myself while benefiting others. (as an example, as i got my favorite xmod from 123vette, he got $30 from me. we both win, and we're both happy. if i gave him $30 for nothing, he wins. we still both feel happy, but deep down i get the sinking feeling that i gave up an xmod or a video game or an airsoft gun to make someone else happy.) it's hard for me to be generous because i live by the quotes "yesterday won't come back and tomorrow may not come." and one i made up "it's better to give than to receive, but if you don't receive, others can't give." see what i mean?
(just so you know, that was not meant as an arguement or anything, just a statement.)

theoriganalRiD3R1967
05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Like what I did with F-Bomb? (even at the sake of not using those badass Centerline rims)

yes pretty much (the origanal F-bomb that you based yours on was an early eighties model right?) butits still pretty much the same. few examples might be a replica of the batmobile, or the mustang from gone in 60 seconds, catch my drift?

texan_idiot25
05-29-2008, 11:06 PM
F-Bomb is a '73 Camaro, the old split bumper.

I see what you mean. Theme cars... I'd be interested

theoriganalRiD3R1967
05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
F-Bomb is a '73 Camaro, the old split bumper.

I see what you mean. Theme cars... I'd be interested

pardon my error, yes a theme car nicely put, kind of a FAN FAVORITE, if you will

Donziikid
05-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Since no one made a donation before May 17th, it's looks like very slim chances of a member being able to chose the theme of June's COTM. As it stands, the June COTM will be "Open Class" and the rules are still to be determined.

Take a gander, contact me if you wish to make a donation towards a COTM. Also, remember how things go with COTM donations by reading that thread in its entirity. ;)
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12283

taiwanesekid05
05-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Could we have a built from scratch (*coucardboardxmodsgh*) compeition?

Donziikid
05-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Could we have a built from scratch (*coucardboardxmodsgh*) compeition?

Dunno. Is someone willing to donate a prize for the July COTM and pick that as the theme? I find it a little far fetched because not everyone has the skill to build a cardboard Xmod, nor do many people probably want to build a cardboard Xmod, but it is possible if the member who makes the donation with the most value picks that as the theme.

Problem with themed competitions is not everyone wants to do something for that theme. When it's open class, you can basically do whatever you want to your Xmod and enter it into the competition. Having a themed competition where your Xmod has to resemble a certain thing makes it tough to get members to want to compete in that theme when they do not like the idea behind the theme.

However, if the theme is very general (like perhaps touring cars only, trucks only, customs only, etc) then you have more people who are willing to do a touring car, a truck or a custom chassis instead of maybe drifters only or crawlers only or expensive bricks only. :p

I'll admit, it's cool to see what some of you can accomplish in a month (sometimes more...) and stick with a theme, but there certainly won't be as many members doing the competition if they do not like the theme. Plus, it's pretty sweet to see what some members talent can bring out when there's a set guideline to follow.

If this makes no sense, tell me. I'm typing quickly in three minutes so my Ramen doesn't get burnt. :lol:

BART
05-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Touring car...me likey that idea. Based on and themed after a real race car. If nobody comes up with a decent donation I might have to do that.

4banger
05-30-2008, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_T-RGXKGS8
On Topic: wasup the F Bomb was awesome.

firebird999
05-30-2008, 10:31 PM
me likey the touring car idea, and me have a good touring tc. i just don't like it needing to be based on a real car, my tc is fantasy. if it ends up being open class, however, my primer bee will take... 7th place... hehe... oh boy. but anyways, i think we should have "race" theme. doesn't just limit it to touring, but leaves that as an option. take it into consideration, o mighty top donator.

BART
05-30-2008, 10:35 PM
My dream would be to see an open wheel race car (cart, F1, indy). but nobody has even tried that yet.

EDIT: and anyone here is more than welcome to become the new top donator.

firebird999
05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
i'll make an f1 car asap, i know how. :\

EDIT: actually i have a better chance of making a buggy or truggy. i'll try that.

fordman239
05-31-2008, 07:34 AM
i agree with firebird on this one. i dont think everyone has the money (nor time) to custom build an outragous xmod, not alot of people use lith or fets or any huge mod. the farthest i went on mine was paint and alloy.

Titantaw12
05-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Sound fair.
Good idea.
I'm in.

xmodkidd33
05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
My idea:

Must be an Xmod body, no custom (*Coucardboarduh*) ones allowed, but paint and custom body mods are okay.

No custom electronics (Including LiPo's and 5-6-7 cell, custom servos.). Upgraded motors (Stock FET only.) are fine.

Max. of 3 alloy parts, including wheels, but not including wheel nuts. (A pair of something, such as dogbones, count as one item.)

No custom chassis'. Must be on a full Xmod chassis. Any number of RS upgrades are allowed, as well as any kind of bearings.

Surgeon
05-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Your input is great, but if you really want to see the comp in your style or flavor make a donation; without a prize donation it goes to the default layout.