PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Torque

meme405
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
As per request from an XMF member, I am going to attempt to bend a stock Gen 1 driveshaft.

This project is currently nothing but a BNIB Gen 1 Skyline.

But i need some direction, I know that i will probably only use this chassis once and then strip it of all useful parts and scrap it.

Originally I was thinking of just tossing AWD on the car, finding ways of getting lots of torque to the car. Then throwing a brick on it (for grip) and lining it up againts a wall and giving it throttle and seeing what happens...

This may be impossible but im gonna try. I would like people to refrain from comments like: Put all GPM on it < this is stupid, why would i need GPM shocks? The only GPM parts i am going to install is dogbones. I am also obviously not going to install tight tunrs Etc. on the car

Now this is a warning i dont really want to take this very far...I am opne to sugestions, but i am not going to go past a certain point on this...

That point may be when i break the GPM dogbones (i have a feeling this migyht happen) before i bend the shaft...I am not going to go thorugh extensive mods just so i can bypass the dogbones...

One question i already have is do they sell aluminum (or any other metal) bevel gears desinged for xmods...

dontspamme
04-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Have fun destroying a DS! :D

I dont think they sell alloy blevels. I would use some alloy rims, as they might twist with all the torque.

The easy way to bend a DS is put it in one of those metal bending machines or make a plastic one, and bend that stick it in the car and say it bent it. :lol:

If you break anything that you dont have spares, I could probably provide you with some. You just need to come to me.

meme405
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
That was what started this entire thing...

It was About my old BIC pen DS mod. I have to do it with a stock driveshaft...I have already bent my BIC pen ones...

blue504life
04-22-2008, 11:44 PM
one way of doing it, but will be unusable after, super glue the rear end together with front wheel drive, with the brick on top

meme405
04-22-2008, 11:48 PM
No way it would have enough torque like that atleast not stock...but i think what your thinking of is basically my idea...

Guys BTW i just need a slight bend, im not trying to produce an english wheel here, just somethign to prove its possible...

blue504life
04-22-2008, 11:51 PM
now that im really thinking about it, it would be really hard to bend a straight shaft from just spinning, it could be twisted by what your trying, but not a real bend, at least i dont think

2wdpancar
04-23-2008, 01:16 AM
You aren't going to bend the shaft that easily bro...kinda hard if you think about it....I mean how the heck are you going to get that much speed/torque with stock electronics and parts?
You'd need a Fast motor and AWD then crash head on into a wall, that might do the trick.:lol:

Blackdragon
04-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Think about the DS and think how hard it is just sitting on you table. Then think about the gear that it is going into, that's plastic. If you were able to produce enough power to bend the shaft that piece would probably break first or be stripped. Remember those pens that used to come with the ink in a metal tube? If you could find one of those you could use that and put it on four wheel drive you could possibly twist the hell out of it without wrecking the chassis. It's only a suggestion but might be worth looking into. And more feesible than trying to bend a solid piece of metal or even twist it. Try this: take two pairs of pliers or any gripping tool and try to bend or twist one of the drive shafts. Since you have way more power than one of those motors you will have a better idea of how hard that will actually be.

ling427ttvette
04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
It will be a PITA to bend a DS. The gears will strip first.

meme405
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
What does PITA mean? and BTW i have tried by hand its actaully not that hard. Im not saying this is possible, but i have vowed to atleast try...

Ling why dont you try to read first, im trying to find a metal gear...

ling427ttvette
04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Even with a metal gear I guarantee they will strip first. That's a much bigger weak point than the DS.

PITA = Pain In The ***