PDA

View Full Version : Brass?

bestdragon2001
04-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Where can I get a soldering iron to build stuff out of brass, also can I get brass at a hardware store?
Im going to make some stuff, maybe a rollcage for my mini lst, which is having electronic problems(it doesnt run right ever since I installed a mamba)

Patrol
04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
1Where can I get a soldering iron to build stuff out of brass, 2also can I get brass at a hardware store?
Im going to make some stuff, maybe a rollcage for my mini lst, which is having electronic problems(it doesnt run right ever since I installed a mamba)
I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I'll try to answer.

1 you're not gonna want to use a soldering iron for brass, I suggest a welder torch, although a soldering iron will work, I think:uhoh:

2 yes, most hardware stores *should* cary brass.

bestdragon2001
04-17-2008, 08:04 PM
I was looking at this one thread earlier and It was in the appearance section, but it said he used a soldering iron and It turned out good so I need a link to a strong soldering iron

meme405
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
any hardware store should have a good suldering iron aim for 200watts, or even 120 should be good enough...

However brass does not stick together well....

bondo
04-17-2008, 08:26 PM
your better off using a pocket torch.
a soldering iron is more work then it's worth plus it doesnt transfer the heat to the brass well enough.
you can melt the solder but it wont form the same joint(weaker) as a torch would.
a decent pocket torch is about $14.00 but even those $5.00 gas station torches will work.

i will advise that you take your time with it though.
working with brass tube and solder will drive you nuts if you let it.
you make one joint,heat for the next joint and the heat carries and softens your first.
it can get frustrating very quickly but if you keep at it you'll come to grips with how much heat should be applied

meme405
04-17-2008, 08:34 PM
You mean a jet lighter bondo?

If so then those are good too, way cheaper than buying a new soldering iron...

Plus then later on you can melt pennies...

bondo
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
You mean a jet lighter bondo?

If so then those are good too, way cheaper than buying a new soldering iron...

Plus then later on you can melt pennies...

EXACTLY!!!!
who says that lincoln needs a head??
IMO a penny looks better with two tails..........

seriously though, the jet lighters provide enough heat to heat the brass aswell as melt the solder from the residual heat instead of a iron wich will mostly heat the solder causing a weak joint.

bestdragon2001
04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Cool so I can use this bernzomatic torch my dad has right?

xmodificationer
04-17-2008, 09:03 PM
I have a bernzomatic mini torch with a soldering adapter which I use for soldering. Anyways I just melted a penny! its BAD!

taiwanesekid05
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
EXACTLY!!!!
who says that lincoln needs a head??
IMO a penny looks better with two tails..........

Lol... So that's how they make those 2 headed nickels...

4x4Daddy
04-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Where can I get a soldering iron to build stuff out of brass, also can I get brass at a hardware store?

I going to answer best I could from my expriences.

1. Where can I get a soldering iron to build stuff out of brass? Either at your local hardware store or hobby store. Gets at least 30 watts or higher is better. I have 100 watts solder gun and didn't use. Because its hard to handle. I use pencil torch with slow flow flame enough heat on brass to grab solder lead onto brass.

2. Can I get brass at a hardware store? Yes, ask first before wondering around. Sale associate person is always helpful to guide you where things are.

3. Im going to make some stuff, maybe a rollcage for my mini lst, which is having electronic problems? Long your electronic or batteries doesn't touch brass, you will be fine. I made little platform made of styrene sheet for my electronic.

4. So I can use this bernzomatic torch my dad has right? Yes, you may can use your dad's bernzomatic torch. Don't give much heat, other wise you melting brass. I don't know how old are you, adult supervisor would be good idea have one around you for your own safety.

Basic solder brass tools you need:
Solder Iron or pencil torch
Solder Pad
Solder Lead
Solder Flux
Sandpaper

Any questions, shoot me pm...

4x4Daddy

meme405
04-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah thats what i forgot...

Rough up the brass tubing otherwise, nothings ever going to stick...

bestdragon2001
04-18-2008, 04:12 PM
One more question, do I use regular solder or like some bigger solder?

xmodkidd33
04-18-2008, 05:49 PM
They sell plumbing solder, it's maybe 1/8" thick. I used that and it worked pretty well. Don't try to use the really thin solder.