PDA

View Full Version : Pictures on xmodsource

xmodit
04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Why does it say that I cant post pics in the gallery?

imnotmikal
04-10-2008, 09:04 PM
...H4XXORS back in October...

Donziikid
04-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Why does it say that I cant post pics in the gallery?

Uploading to the Xmodsource.com gallery has been canceled because of the lack of security. As Knvictd has said, we were hacked back in October and the Gallery is one of the main places that lackes good security.

Until we find a better way to secure the gallery, it will be closed. Your best alternative is using an online photo-hosting site like photobucket or imageshack. ;)

xmodkidd33
04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Maybe post count limits, e.g. having to have 50 posts in order to use the gallery, similar to the B/S/T forum?

Photobucket is your best bet. :bigwink:

Welcome to the forum as well.

theoriganalRiD3R1967
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
was the problem that hacker deleted images or posted some...that are unappropriate for this site or something?

Donziikid
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
was the problem that hacker deleted images or posted some...that are unappropriate for this site or something?

Not that I have seen/heard of, no. The gallery is just a weak spot in the forum software and hackers were able to find a way through. Whether or not the gallery was their actual "frontdoor" or not, I don't know, but it wasn't the safest and most secure place and is possibly where the hackers gained access to the site.

Boske or Bondo should be able to give more information.

bondo
04-10-2008, 11:05 PM
lol, dont put this on me, i was a regular member at the time of the hack.
i hav'nt looked into it a whole lot but i dont think that the gallery and forums tie into one another enough to limit usage by post count.
if we are able to limit usage by post count or join date then it is going to be set pretty high for security reasons.
nothing outrageuos but quite a bit more then 50 posts.

texan_idiot25
04-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Basically, the hacker uploaded a program file with a fake file extension to it. EX: Hackerprogram.exe.jpg <- the .jpg is fake to the file type, and is what allowed the hacker's program to be uploaded onto the forum's server (tricking the forum software to think it's .jpg image). Until this site is updated (this was resolved by Invision) were keepin' it closed.

xmodscarbon's_lost
04-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Basically, the hacker uploaded a program file with a fake file extension to it. EX: Hackerprogram.exe.jpg <- the .jpg is fake to the file type, and is what allowed the hacker's program to be uploaded onto the forum's server (tricking the forum software to think it's .jpg image). Until this site is updated (this was resolved by Invision) were keepin' it closed.
Wow i didn't know that!:oBut why do they screw things up for everyone else?Thats just messed up!:evil:

Thanks,
Colin Presby

TheB1GDude
04-11-2008, 02:12 PM
As advised by Texan there is a new release of the forum software that contains the fix for how the hackers where able to hack us, we require boske to upgrade the software for us so until that happens the gallery remains disabled.