PDA

View Full Version : Custom Chassis Video

aquaman
03-26-2008, 02:07 AM
So here's the custom chassis I did using Gen 1 electronics, batteries and servo. The lowered center of gravity helped quite a bit. I need to upgrade the car with bearings and a faster/stronger moter next.
The last 1-2 laps are wide-open.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCCRjSc8X1Y

2wdpancar
03-26-2008, 02:41 AM
Nice vid man.
At the beginning, when you were showing the front spin, I was all like o_0 so much friction!
Lol, did you see that AWD piece?
It was having a spaz-attack.:lol:

RedSXmodder
03-26-2008, 09:19 AM
You know, I think I may have the perfect motor for you...

fieldfairy2
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
That thing is faster than i thought. Do you know the weight difference? I love the new chassis. Bearings will definatley help.

Redsxmodder: is the "perfect motor" your rcp ripper motor?

Donziikid
03-26-2008, 11:20 AM
The first part of your video just goes to show how precise an Xmod really is. :lol:

Good work on your chassis. Looks clean.

mini-z drift
03-26-2008, 01:13 PM
If you really want to make this into a Custom Xmod, then get a hobby grade servo (hi-tec), a hobby grade esc & reseiver (novak), a hobbygrade controller (futaba) and some liths.

Overall, it looks pretty sweet.

c1v1c
03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
an xmods wouldnt be an xmod anymoire without the xmods electronics ;)

aquaman
03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
an xmods wouldnt be an xmod anymoire without the xmods electronics ;)
True. I thought of going hobby grade electronics, but wanted to keep as much Xmod stuff just to show the chassis could be built similar
but allow for a lower center-of-gravity.

An evo board is really what I want on this chassis. 1st test model had one, but I fried it by letting wires touch.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Did the video mainly to show ya'll it really kicks butt!

mini-z drift
03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Yup, and get the GPM Supersticky tires from AM, they're great for your type of driving.

texan_idiot25
03-26-2008, 06:41 PM
AWD piece?
It was having a spaz-attack.:lol:
Lol, shim it and it aught to be fine. Mine did that too when I had a CF chassis.

color0
03-27-2008, 01:50 AM
It doesn't seem like you need any more traction for what you're doing, so I'm thinking you might actually want some hard[er] rubber tires, maybe like 30 or 40 degree compounds, so you can kick the rear end out a little bit and turn tighter. Less rolling resistance also isn't a bad thing with your lack of power.

A very nice chassis overall, I'd personally use some thicker material to improve chassis stiffness a bit. That, or use liberal amounts of glue attaching the battery holders (did you already do that?) to make the battery holders contribute to chassis stiffness.

It should also look a little lower once you get that Evo board in. Good job! ;)

RedSXmodder
03-27-2008, 02:12 PM
It doesn't seem like you need any more traction for what you're doing, so I'm thinking you might actually want some hard[er] rubber tires, maybe like 30 or 40 degree compounds, so you can kick the rear end out a little bit and turn tighter. Less rolling resistance also isn't a bad thing with your lack of power.

A very nice chassis overall, I'd personally use some thicker material to improve chassis stiffness a bit. That, or use liberal amounts of glue attaching the battery holders (did you already do that?) to make the battery holders contribute to chassis stiffness.

Custom chassis, lower CoG battery mount, what more could color0 ask for...:lol:

aquaman
03-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Right now I have hard slicks on the front & soft slicks on the rear. I'll try the hard slicks on the back as well.

The battery holders are snugly fitted into the cut-out holes of the chassis & glued WELL. Because they fit so tight, this further increases chassis stability. Also, the material used is remarkably stiff at that thickness.

I'm a little stuck on where to mount the evo board. The obvious placement is on top of the servo like Gen 1 board. I'd like it to be lower. Also, I'd prefer not to stand-it-up next to the servo.

Any ideas?

fieldfairy2
03-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Try to make a piece from atomicmods siletto chassis evo top plate. Modify it to your needs and use double sided tape on the back of the board and tape it to your top plate.