PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried strut bars?

meme405
03-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Anybody tried the new adjustable strutbars from XI?

Heres the link:

http://www.xmodsinternational.com/USA_STORE_FRONT_GEN1ADJUSTABLESTRUTBARS.htm

It says you can adjust the camber and castor, which seems like it would be useful...

just wondering if anybody's tried them and what kind of difference they make...

They also have these:

http://www.xmodsinternational.com/USA_STORE_FRONT_GEN1ALUMINUMFRONTSTRUTBAR.htm

Which are the older non adjustable version, anybody have these or tried them? How are they?

Also (might as well ask all my questions...) Has anyone had one of these:

http://www.xmodsinternational.com/USA_STORE_FRONT_GEN1BLUEELASTICLANTENNA.htm

It says their elastic, are they any better/different than stock ones? they dont break do they? Are they really elastic? your thoughts on the product??

firebird999
03-20-2008, 04:37 PM
yeah, i saw those strut bars too. seems decent, but idk if they would really work on such small scale. maybe just for show? as for the antenna, i bet it is elastic, and it probably should only bend, not break, but either way it seems to be useless and tacky.

Kaze
03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I might order a pair of these in the coming week. If you want to wait then i'll gladly share my experiences. You can also feel free to try em out yourself. I'll keep you posted if I get em or not ok?

bestdragon2001
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
I dont know about those strut bars but they look pretty cool and Im pretty sure the antenna is coiled up metal.

meme405
03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I might order a pair of these in the coming week. If you want to wait then i'll gladly share my experiences. You can also feel free to try em out yourself. I'll keep you posted if I get em or not ok?

I think i might get the adjustable ones, just wanted some feedback before i wasted 20$ on them...

Edit, actually if you look at how they work, it would reduce the travel on your shocks and lower your car, because the camber and castor is adjusted by adjusting the shock height relative to each other...maybe this is the downfall of thsi system...

aquaman
03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
I've used them here and there. Seems to "hook-up" better on a curvy track.

Just grab a paperclip and get to bending. Save yourself the $$.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/aquaman12/CIMG5362.jpg

meme405
03-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Aquaman thanks for the feedback and the idea...

Kaze
03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
is that a downfall? sounds like that's it's purpose, or am I wrong?

meme405
03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Well no there are other ways of setting camber and castor, without losing ground clearance or suspesion travel (especially in the front where on mine its minimal anyways...).

texan_idiot25
03-22-2008, 02:47 PM
You can't adjust CASTER with these. Camber... on the rear, but thats just due to the swing-arm design of the rear suspension.

They help it hook up better for sure. Don't need them to be adjsut able though.

Do it the old school way though, paper clips :lol:

aquaman
03-22-2008, 11:26 PM

AWW-YEEEAHH!! Old school in tha house!!

meme405
03-23-2008, 01:17 AM
You can't adjust CASTER with these. Camber... on the rear, but thats just due to the swing-arm design of the rear suspension.

They help it hook up better for sure. Don't need them to be adjsut able though.

If you do sweed's tut you can...thats is if they have enough metal spacing in the strut...

EDIT: got mixed up im sorry no you cant adjust caster with these...

ling427ttvette
03-23-2008, 02:31 AM
There is definitely no caster adjustment in that and I don't really think that would be necessary on such a small scale. Camber I can see, toe in and out I can see, but not caster.

I would do the paper clip thing as well, cheaper and easier and it looks like it would work just as good.

xmodscarbon's_lost
03-23-2008, 04:07 AM
My question is then how would the shocks move?

jimmythekid1
03-23-2008, 08:44 AM
My question is then how would the shocks move?

With a paper clip, the clip will flex with suspension movement. Travel will change some what because the clip will stiffen the suspension just like a sway bar would. A paper clip is actually better because the adjustable ones sold by XI look like they would stop suspension travel all together.

Technically a strut bar connects the strut towers together on a strut car, which is part of the uni body reducing body flex while cornering.

meme405
03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
With a paper clip, the clip will flex with suspension movement. Travel will change some what because the clip will stiffen the suspension just like a sway bar would. A paper clip is actually better because the adjustable ones sold by XI look like they would stop suspension travel all together.

Technically a strut bar connects the strut towers together on a strut car, which is part of the uni body reducing body flex while cornering.

They wouldnt stop it travel altogether, it would just force more uniform movent. Which obviously would be less movement, but ideally movement in a better way leading to better handling.

EDIT: Sorry that was unclear. A car wants to basically push down one side of the shock (the outside), down using its own weight, so that the inside wheel will prevent from lifting off the ground. The strut bar, basically forces even more weight onto the other side, to allow even faster turns?

Now i can see some serious downfalls to this. LESS travel is one.

color0
03-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Almost like it. The strut bar forces the rear end to roll more, thus giving more traction to the rear end and getting rid of the snap oversteer inherent to Gen 1 Xmods.

It's not a bad mod, although I've gotten the same results with a piece of plastic and even a short string. As long as you have the springs partially compressed on both sides and able to unload in a corner, you'll get the effect of a strut bar.

A string also allows for suspension compression if you're worried about it, but it doesn't seem to matter too much if your strut bar is flexible. :)

meme405
03-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Almost like it. The strut bar forces the rear end to roll more, thus giving more traction to the rear end and getting rid of the snap oversteer inherent to Gen 1 Xmods.

It's not a bad mod, although I've gotten the same results with a piece of plastic and even a short string. As long as you have the springs partially compressed on both sides and able to unload in a corner, you'll get the effect of a strut bar.

A string also allows for suspension compression if you're worried about it, but it doesn't seem to matter too much if your strut bar is flexible. :)

Ok i get it now, so it also gives a little travle to unload one the inside of the car, so that the wheels stay planted.

This will allow me to make a nice diagram for those who dont understand.

It will also allow me to give more options in my adjustable shock mod seen here: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12570

Color0 thank you for the help and you will definetly get props in my tut.

WRXSTi92
03-23-2008, 02:24 PM
color0 that sounds so much more simple

xmodscarbon's_lost
03-23-2008, 04:46 PM

They wouldnt stop it travel altogether, it would just force more uniform movent. Which obviously would be less movement, but ideally movement in a better way leading to better handling.

EDIT: Sorry that was unclear. A car wants to basically push down one side of the shock (the outside), down using its own weight, so that the inside wheel will prevent from lifting off the ground. The strut bar, basically forces even more weight onto the other side, to allow even faster turns?

Now i can see some serious downfalls to this. LESS travel is one.
Thanks meme405 and jimmythekid1!:)I now get what they are for.

WRXSTi92
03-24-2008, 03:48 AM
I've used them here and there. Seems to "hook-up" better on a curvy track.

Just grab a paperclip and get to bending. Save yourself the $$.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/aquaman12/CIMG5362.jpg

to get the paper clip perfect it has to be harder than it shows to be

meme405
03-24-2008, 12:57 PM
to get the paper clip perfect it has to be harder than it shows to be

It definetly would be but it seems well worth it, i made one. Just take needlenose-pliers to it, and work it into the shape you want then put it on the car and adjust it to the, camber as needed, or just set the amount of shock you want compressed at normal stance.

Aquaman, can i write a tut about this?? I would give you credit in it of course, but i would also show how to shape the paper clip or how to use other materials as well...Cause you know some of those poor people that have xmods but no paperclips...

THE EDJ
03-24-2008, 03:09 PM
As much of this conversation is around the camber link/sway bar, I would like to add a little bit about the elastic antenna. I run them on every one of my cars for a few reasons. First is that they are more tough, they don't bend as easily and when they do, it isn't much. Second is that they come in different colors, so you can get them to match a paricular project. They aren't as long, and in my opinion that looks better too, and somehow they still maintain their range really well too. Someone did their homework, the antenna's are a product that actually work.

meme405
03-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Their shorter?? Thats awesome. Thanks EDJ, i'm gonna get it soon then...

Sweed
03-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Their shorter?? Thats awesome.

How unmanly can you get? :lol:

One thing to add, you might want to file down the ridges on the arms and the thing that stops the travel towards the front. The Sway Bars might restrict the travel some. Without a swap bar and just the filing, the suspension geometery will be mess up, but with it, it keeps it planted and allows for more roll.

aquaman
03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Meme, I don't mind you using the paperclip strut/sway bar idea for a tutorial. Thanks for asking.

It can be a little tricky getting the bends in just the right spots, but geez, compared to some of the other mods for these cars, this is gravy!