PDA

View Full Version : Traxxas T-maxx

civicdude95
03-18-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm soon going to be getting a traxxas tmaxx. so i was just wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what to not do, what to do, and keeping it in good condition and everything. Also soon when i get it ill post some pics of it.

noturday
03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
do:
-break it in like they tell you to
-take it wasy until you know you can handle it
dont:
-gun it straight out of the box
-go fast then slam on the brake, it stops a whole lot quicker than an xmod, and will flip over foreward

civicdude95
03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
the one im getting is used so do i still have to break it in?

BART
03-18-2008, 08:35 PM

No, but i would probably plan on replacing the piston and sleeve. No matter how well it was taken care of the traxxas engines run hot and wear out quick. Which engine does it have? .15 or 2.5?

Stampedekid
03-18-2008, 08:38 PM

Most likely not. Ask the person who you are buying from. Nitro is tons of fun, I have a Traxxas Nitro Stampede.
I'll add onto the list.
Do:
Run slow until you get the handle and feel of the truck.
Always watch for traffic and curbs, trees, poles, chairs, people, etc...
Drive carefully.

Don't:
Act wise with it as it will lead to crashes.
Try to go up curbs at high rates of speed.
Run in very cold temps unless you are careful(below 45*F although I do anyway) This will lead to plastics becoming brittle.(Been there, done that, snapped entire chassis thanks to dad driving[lol])
Crash into people
Swerve too much as you will crash.
Continue to do forward, reverse
Hit brakes too hard at high rates of speed(been there done that)

This isn't to make you scared, it is just a warning about the bad things that can happen. And remember, most importantly...Have Fun!

Sweed
03-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Yes, that's true. It's not a Revo, it's a T-Maxx.

Stampedekid
03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes, that's true. It's not a Revo, it's a T-Maxx.

Lol! I can sometimes do it with my Nitro Stampede, but only on warmer days is when I take the chance.

Donziikid
03-18-2008, 09:43 PM
If you are afraid you will ruin the engine from improper care while breaking it in, check with your local hobby shop. Most of the time they will break it in for you for free; if not for free, for a very small price. ;)

SPR
03-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Do:

Everytime you break a part, buy 3.
Start saving your pennys now.
Save up and buy UE parts.. .they are unbreakable. expensive, but the absolute best.

Donts
Dont think you never need to tune it. Always keep a eye on your engine temps every time you drive it, and retune every time you run it.
Dont try jumping it 20 ft in the air untill its built with UE lol.
dont get it muddy like this...

http://a714.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/91/l_816b21ed885efe66824649b5bcfc7949.jpg

dont get frustrated when its broke, your wallet is broke from fixing it, ands running like ****, and u cant figure it out. because thats part of RC. deal with it learn it, and get use to it lol.

most importantly, just enjoy the thing.

stang_racer
03-19-2008, 12:39 AM
take it to the hobbie store if it wont run right, and when your a beginner and trying to figure it out, it can seem very confuseing so just take your time and be paicent is about all i can say

redrkt
03-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Do:

Everytime you break a part, buy 3.
Start saving your pennys now.
Save up and buy UE parts.. .they are unbreakable. expensive, but the absolute best.

Donts
Dont think you never need to tune it. Always keep a eye on your engine temps every time you drive it, and retune every time you run it.
Dont try jumping it 20 ft in the air untill its built with UE lol.
dont get it muddy like this...

http://a714.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/91/l_816b21ed885efe66824649b5bcfc7949.jpg

dont get frustrated when its broke, your wallet is broke from fixing it, ands running like ****, and u cant figure it out. because thats part of RC. deal with it learn it, and get use to it lol.

most importantly, just enjoy the thing.

**** that looks like a normal day around my house where I run mine!!
BTW I prefer GPM for aftermarket parts.

OHHH........You mean their not supposed to look like that?????:nod:

blue504life
03-19-2008, 12:53 AM
quick question my tmaxx is a 99-00 pro 1.5 but back when I first started to break it in the truck lost controler communication and ran a full tank wide open with no one driving it would this have hurt the engin in any way?

SPR
03-19-2008, 01:19 AM
**** that looks like a normal day around my house where I run mine!!
BTW I prefer GPM for aftermarket parts.

OHHH........You mean their not supposed to look like that?????:nod:

GPM is good too. lifetime warranty is nice, decently cheap. but still plastic.. it bends and breaks. i like UE, solid titanium, doesnt bend or break. its the ****. it really takes a beating. i break GPM stuff... i dont break UE.

quick question my tmaxx is a 99-00 pro 1.5 but back when I first started to break it in the truck lost controler communication and ran a full tank wide open with no one driving it would this have hurt the engin in any way?

more than likely your fine. there really 2 ways to break in a motor...

break it in the easy way... like traxxas says... or breaking it the hard way, drive the **** out of it how you always plan too. that way takes a more caucious eye and is for the pro nitro rc person... as long as the piston didnt swell up and sieze its going to be fine. but either way id scrape that crappy .15 and swap to a 2.5.

civicdude95
03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Most likely not. Ask the person who you are buying from. Nitro is tons of fun, I have a Traxxas Nitro Stampede.
I'll add onto the list.
Do:
Run slow until you get the handle and feel of the truck.
Always watch for traffic and curbs, trees, poles, chairs, people, etc...
Drive carefully.

Don't:
Act wise with it as it will lead to crashes.
Run in very cold temps unless you are careful(below 45*F although I do anyway) This will lead to plastics becoming brittle.(Been there, done that, snapped entire chassis thanks to dad driving[lol])
Crash into people
Swerve too much as you will crash.
Continue to do forward, reverse
Hit brakes too hard at high rates of speed(been there done that)

This isn't to make you scared, it is just a warning about the bad things that can happen. And remember, most importantly...Have Fun!

ok well the person hasnt emailed me back, so i dont know if im getting it.

as for what motor is in it, it doesnt say. this is the link:http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-hobbies-crafts-Traxxas-t-maxx-nitro-rc-W0QQAdIdZ35927206

blue504life
03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
more than likely your fine. there really 2 ways to break in a motor...

break it in the easy way... like traxxas says... or breaking it the hard way, drive the **** out of it how you always plan too. that way takes a more caucious eye and is for the pro nitro rc person... as long as the piston didnt swell up and sieze its going to be fine. but either way id scrape that crappy .15 and swap to a 2.5.

ive had few people tell me get the 2.5 but i love my 1.5 i might ever get another one

Stampedekid
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
ive had few people tell me get the 2.5 but i love my 1.5 i might ever get another one

Same here. I am going to wait until my .15 doesn't work anymore, then I'll trade it in for a 2.5R through Traxxas. For now, I am happy. Cuvicdude95, if I were you, I wouldn't trade with this person. He/she doesn't even have a picture of it so how would you know if it is even good? Check RCU's marketplace if you want.

blue504life
03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Same here. I am going to wait until my .15 doesn't work anymore, then I'll trade it in for a 2.5R through Traxxas. For now, I am happy. Cuvicdude95, if I were you, I wouldn't trade with this person. He/she doesn't even have a picture of it so how would you know if it is even good? Check RCU's marketplace if you want.

i dont know about trading it for something but im on my second piston set

jameslew
03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Is it possible to start the t-maxx with a drill if you found the right screw-bit?

Stampedekid
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Is it possible to start the t-maxx with a drill if you found the right screw-bit?

You would need to install a drill starting system. EZ Starting is good, I really do not know why so many people hate it. Mine lasts about between 40 or 50 starts before it dies and needs to be charged again. And my onboard batteries that control the servos are 4 AA batteries.

civicdude95
03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
well i requested the guy for pictures of it and im only going to get it if its in good condition

xmodificationer
03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
You would need to install a drill starting system. EZ Starting is good, I really do not know why so many people hate it. Mine lasts about between 40 or 50 starts before it dies and needs to be charged again. And my onboard batteries that control the servos are 4 AA batteries.

more like 4 or 5 at the most. Bryces lasts for like 3-4 charges.

blue504life
03-19-2008, 06:39 PM

i had that problem with mine its just the battery for the start box is weak, get a new one and your good to go for another 6 month to a year

Stampedekid
03-19-2008, 07:10 PM

Nah, not for me. Mine is amazing and starts the truck up almost instantly! IDK what Bryce's starter problem is. Tell him to get a new battery. I use a Piranha with a 30 minute quick charger.

civicdude95
03-20-2008, 06:26 PM
is a traxxas jato 3.3. just as good because i might be getting that but im paying cash

Donziikid
03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
is a traxxas jato 3.3. just as good because i might be getting that but im paying cash

Just as good compared to which other RC?

Stampedekid
03-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Just as good compared to which other RC?

The T-Maxx. Anyway...if it is your first nitro, then do not get it. One high speed crash into a curb, tree, or pole, and your jato is dead. It is NOT a good starter nitro no matter what age you are. It is capable of extremely high speeds. I would go with the T-Maxx. Do some research, then decide. The Jato is capable of very high speeds which requires skill to drive.

blue504life
03-20-2008, 10:39 PM
The T-Maxx. Anyway...if it is your first nitro, then do not get it. One high speed crash into a curb, tree, or pole, and your jato is dead. It is NOT a good starter nitro no matter what age you are. It is capable of extremely high speeds. I would go with the T-Maxx. Do some research, then decide. The Jato is capable of very high speeds which requires skill to drive.

what is the jato? stopped keeping track of the traxxas stuff just after the first 4tec came out

Donziikid
03-20-2008, 10:46 PM

Alright, now that I know what he's wanting to compare the Jato too, I have more of a basis to go on.

Since the Traxxas Jato and the Traxxas T-Maxx are in two seperate classes, they're quite hard to compare. The Traxxas T-Maxx, as you already know, is an offroad, beater style nitro truck whilst the Traxxas Jato is more of an onroad speed-demon. It all depends on what you want to do with your truck and how much care you want to tend to it with.

The Traxxas T-Maxx is known for being tough and rugged, as well as being able to do just about anything you throw at it. They great for some enjoyable speed, as well as great bashing offroad. They're also quite durable when upgraded to RPM plastics and alloy metals.

The same goes for the Traxxas Jato durability wise when upgraded, but many have found that the stock plastic (due to it's size difference, location and design) is a little bit weaker and tends to break a little bit easier than that of a Traxxas T-Maxx. These Traxxas' Jato's are meant for all out racing, grip and acceleration, while the Traxxas T-Maxx was solely meant for offroad racing and trail driving.

Again, it all depends on what you plan to do with your truck. I'd venture to assume that the Traxxas Jato is a little bit more exensive and a little bit harder to maintain than the Traxxas T-Maxx.

what is the jato? stopped keeping track of the traxxas stuff just after the first 4tec came out

This (http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/jato33/trx_jato_intro.htm) is the Traxxas Jato.

civicdude95
03-21-2008, 07:39 AM
pending about what Donziikid said. Im going to have to go with the Traxxas t-maxx. it sounds like an awesome truck for my kind of offroading. I like offroading very much. Do the parts to fix it cost very much? If so about how much, what is the price range?

Donziikid
03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
pending about what Donziikid said. Im going to have to go with the Traxxas t-maxx. it sounds like an awesome truck for my kind of offroading. I like offroading very much. Do the parts to fix it cost very much? If so about how much, what is the price range?

That all depends on what part you need to replace, and what you want to replace it with. Here's a towerhobbies.com comparative:

RPM (Plastic) set of A-Arms. (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMZT3&P=Z) These will run you $11 a set. You would need to buy two of these to replace the front A-Ams or rear A-Arms.
Total to replace front two: $22+shipping.
Integy (Alloy) upper A-Arms. (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKVJ4&P=Z) These will run you $32 a set. And you'd need to buy the matching lower A-Arms. (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKVJ6&P=Z)
Total to replace front two: $64+shipping.

Here's TowerHobbies replacement/optional parts list. Check it out: found here. (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0005p?&I=TRAC54**&P=Z) ;)