PDA

View Full Version : Help! Relocated battery tray and my batteries blew up!

ling427ttvette
03-16-2008, 11:15 PM
So, I relocated my battery tray, got it all ready to go, turned it on and drove it for a minute to check it out, worked great!

I shut it off to find a problem with my 4 wheel drive, and the batteries in the main tray exploded! The two in the second tray are just fine, nothing wrong with them..

What could have possibly gone wrong?

Edit: After further inspection, just one blew up..

It's the one farthest to the positive side. I was in such a hurry to get them out of there I didn't even pay attention.. should I even try using the other batteries?

I don't understand what could have went wrong, I wired it back together the way it's supposed to be.. my connectors aren't the best right now, I'm waiting to get a set of deans plugs.. maybe the connector hit the ground on the motor or something?

Edit: Yeah, I'm not really sure if my battery tray is just to messed up now, or if it fried the whole truck.. but I can't get it to do anything. :(

Edit again: It's the battery tray, the prong that the battery plugs into got very hot, warped itself outward far enough that it won't contact the battery.. crazy stuff.

Looks like I need a new batt. tray.

greenday
03-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Some how I fell responsible for this...:uhoh: I wouldn't know what happened, but it could have been your batteries, a bad joint, or something else. I never had this problem, hope it resolves for you.

Lowrideit
03-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Sounds either like Greenday said, A bad joint, Not soldered right, Or 2 or your connections are touching, Witch is problay what it is, Sure that none of the wires are touching any thing else,

ling427ttvette
03-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Well, I am pretty sure I know what happened. I think one of the ends of wire that I soldered onto the joint on the tray was touching part of the battery, which caused it to get hot and blow up.. I'm hoping so anyway.

I'm thinking the truck might be getting some work done on it by someone other than me in the near future. :lol:

Edit: Greenday, I wouldn't say you are responsible.. I'm the one that did the work.. ;)

Mooshu_Beef
03-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Blowing up is usually the cause of a short, at this scale. If you were dealign with sub C cells and a really high mAh like 4200, I would suspect a bad cell not being able to vent, or you charged it at like 4 amps and were putting it under a great load... that can also blow your batteries.

But yeah, like you said-- two contacts were touching.

My suggestion is to put batteries in, and feel the wires as you pull the throttle. It may take a while to warm up, but it will be noticeable if it is a short.

YOu can also test with your multimeter, but I don't remember exactly. I think you put your contacts to the positive and negative wires, or contacts in your battery tray. you do NOT want 0 resistance. That means there is a short.

greenday
03-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Well, I am pretty sure I know what happened. I think one of the ends of wire that I soldered onto the joint on the tray was touching part of the battery, which caused it to get hot and blow up.. I'm hoping so anyway.

I'm thinking the truck might be getting some work done on it by someone other than me in the near future. :lol:

Edit: Greenday, I wouldn't say you are responsible.. I'm the one that did the work.. ;)

but I made the tut that I presume you followed....:uhoh:

ling427ttvette
03-17-2008, 06:48 PM
but I made the tut that I presume you followed....:uhoh:

I looked for a tut. but didn't find it one.. dang it I knew there would be one.

I pretty much just winged it on my own, mind showing me the tut. though?

xmodscarbon's_lost
03-17-2008, 07:52 PM
here is the thread you wanted: XMODS Truck Battery Relocation(Many Pictures) - XmodSource.com (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12056)

greenday
03-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks XCL, I was going to get it.

xmodscarbon's_lost
03-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Your welcome sir green:hail::lol: