PDA

View Full Version : Electronic xmod "hydrolyics"

superinfinity
03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I just got a great idea that will probably work and i should get a test car going soon. Instead of using compressors or oil shocks or air, i was thinking, why not just use electromagnets? When metal receives a current, it gets magnetized. Xmod springs are metal, so heres my idea. Take stock xmod springs (no coating), and cut them in half and trim them to be shorter. then attach positive and negative wires to each spring (no positive and negative on the same spring). Positive should be touching positive and negative should be touching. Then detach the motor wires and connect them to the respective polarties on the springs. Your motor doesnt work, but when you pull the trigger, the whole rear end of the car should rise up. You can adjust the height by how much trottle you use. If you guys dont understand, i'll make a diagram. For those of you who do understand, do you think this will work, or just spark and fry the board?

texan_idiot25
03-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Back in the day, we were talking about this at XMW. Nivlacs (RIP) was the 1st to make the magnetic shocks that XI now sells (sorta stole the idea).

http://xmodworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17321&highlight=magnetic+shocks
http://xmodworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18362&highlight=magnetic+shocks
Oh, ahem, muh n0Ob dayz 2!

theoriganalRiD3R1967
03-11-2008, 12:34 AM
thats cool inever thought of it, but i think it won't work because the circuit is not complete with no current flowing through it you cannot have a positivly charged elctromagnet, theres no current, but if you connected halfof the spring to positive and the other end of the same spring to the negative lead, and had a magnet on the other end (of the shock, the sping being on the top half), with, lets ay the northpole on top, when you induced a current through that shock one way, it would push away from the magnet (that would take the place of your origanal bottom half of the spring) cuasing the chassis to rise, and when the trigger is in reverse, the car will lower, just remember that you would need a lot of current to lift this car (faster current produces a stronger elctromagnet, or a spring with more coils) cuz its pretty heavy!

interesting fact, did you know that the earths magnetic poles flip every 500,000 years? its true

snowboi1289
03-11-2008, 01:13 AM
I've thought of so many ways to create different kind of hydrolics,but yet it harder than you think,the holes of the chassis and stuff just doesnt line up right.
Hope you get it the way you want to..

BART
03-11-2008, 07:17 AM
I just got a great idea that will probably work and i should get a test car going soon. Instead of using compressors or oil shocks or air, i was thinking, why not just use electromagnets? When metal receives a current, it gets magnetized. Xmod springs are metal, so heres my idea. Take stock xmod springs (no coating), and cut them in half and trim them to be shorter. then attach positive and negative wires to each spring (no positive and negative on the same spring). Positive should be touching positive and negative should be touching. Then detach the motor wires and connect them to the respective polarties on the springs. Your motor doesnt work, but when you pull the trigger, the whole rear end of the car should rise up. You can adjust the height by how much trottle you use. If you guys dont understand, i'll make a diagram. For those of you who do understand, do you think this will work, or just spark and fry the board?

you would have to hook positive to one end of the spring and negative to the other (same spring). The problem is they the springs will not offer enough winds around the core ( shock shaft) for an effective electromagnet to be made.

superinfinity
03-11-2008, 07:28 AM
you would have to hook positive to one end of the spring and negative to the other (same spring). The problem is they the springs will not offer enough winds around the core ( shock shaft) for an effective electromagnet to be made.

hmm ok. then what if you used aluminum shocks? then take motor winding wire and wind it around the shaft and hook it up to the wires. then just put a shorter spring around it so it wont bottom out unless your using the magnets.

BART
03-11-2008, 07:56 AM
hmm ok. then what if you used aluminum shocks? then take motor winding wire and wind it around the shaft and hook it up to the wires. then just put a shorter spring around it so it wont bottom out unless your using the magnets.

aluminum shocks are no good because you need an iron core for a magnetic field to be induced.

texan_idiot25
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
You would have to create your own electromagnets of course. Use a magnet on one end of the shock, and the mini-electromagnet at the other. Or two electromagnets. Trick is in the wiring, and making them small enough.

You may get away with using small ear-bud head phones, since they do use an electromagnetic coil. Dunno how strong it would be thoiugh..

color0
03-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Probably better off winding your own coils. Also note though that it takes quite a bit of current to get enough magnetic force to hold up 220g of car.

texan_idiot25
03-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Could go with a stripped out car.. Like what some compitition low rider dudes do. Basically it's stripped to just the body, frame, and suspension. So, an xmod minus the drivetrain, electronics, motors, and batteries.