PDA

View Full Version : Results of a Runaway.

Stampedekid
03-09-2008, 07:23 PM
You all remember my Nitro Stampede and my friend's new one right? Long story short. I was driving around his backyard, his remote and truck were off while he was filling it up. I was doing wheelies and it caught something, and went head on into a steel chair leg. Here are the results. I also got a video of the aftermath in my home. The camera messes up the sound of my voice some. I can't think of the name of the piece that broke, but the hobby store is gonna have a visit tomorrow.
PS. My camera has the wrong date on it
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/xmodracer1/MyNitroStampedebrokenpart001.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/xmodracer1/MyNitroStampedebrokenpart003.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/xmodracer1/MyNitroStampedebrokenpart004.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/xmodracer1/MyNitroStampedebrokenpart006.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/xmodracer1/MyNitroStampedebrokenpart007.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/xmodracer1/th_MyNitroStampedebrokenpart008.jpg (http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/xmodracer1/?action=view&current=MyNitroStampedebrokenpart008.flv)

WhiteMKIV
03-09-2008, 07:43 PM
i know how it is man LOL it sucks big time

Stampedekid
03-09-2008, 07:46 PM
i know how it is man LOL it sucks big time

You do? Is that why you had to get a new engine for your nitro car?

Most_Wanted
03-09-2008, 07:55 PM
It looks like the part that broke is the castor block. I would suggest looking into the aluminum ones as from my experience with 1/10th scale, these tend to be one of the most commonly broken parts.

I would also suggest looking into a failsafe, that way if you have any interference problems you won't get another runaway.

Titantaw12
03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Nice Truck.:)

WhiteMKIV
03-09-2008, 08:00 PM
You do? Is that why you had to get a new engine for your nitro car?

no it got ran over, but the first day i got it and one of the batterys came out and i was going full speed and it took off luckly it ramped into ome grass

clintr79
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
At least its a cheap fix i found a pair of them on ebay for about 4.25 shipped
This is the item number 200118220693

mustanglover
03-09-2008, 08:19 PM
ha. man that weird my nitrosport went crazy (forgot to change batteries) when down my road at top speed hit this ladies house a didn't even have a scratch, or broken parts.

snowboi1289
03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Did the radio get interferance or did it just somehow get outa control ??
It has happened to me.But for me it was interferance,thats why im goin to get a automatic shut off,or try to make one.
Sry bout the truck..

stang_racer
03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
stick with plasic beleave me aluminum bends then cracks, plastic has some give, you see with the xmods they are small and less force into any impact they take, also if you have ever broke a stick over your knee, you will know that smaller in length is stronger, well same goes for xmods vs nitro aluminum parts.

go to your lhs and get a stock replacement part in plasic, ask anyone who knows anything about nitro trucks and they will tell you that plastic is accually stonger than aluminum.

also shows you perfectly why you buy a failsafe before you even start the truck

clintr79
03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
also shows you perfectly why you buy a failsafe before you even start the truck[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% i run one on all my nitros cheap insurance:nod:

Most_Wanted
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Plastic is NOT stronger than aluminum, it actually is great for most parts because it allows for flex, that's why you see tons of RPM parts on people's trucks. The only problem with having flex in the castor block is you will start bending the pins as well. Aluminum is a good choice for this part, as you have some flex in other areas while having durable castor blocks. Go on the Traxxas forum and 95% of people will tell you the same thing.

You could look into getting a RPM bumper too, I had one on my Rustler and they are great to help avoid unnecessary damage.

xmodkidd33
03-09-2008, 08:56 PM
That sucks. Invest in alloy.

Were you sucking helium before the video? Just kidding.

Stampedekid
03-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks MostWanted for the info! The servo has a return spring for braking(it has no reverse) It just happened out of no where. Both the truck and controller have fresh batteries. Yes, I am going with aluminum. When I broke the shaft yoke, I got aluminum ones, but only replaced the one that broke for the time being. Anyone live near Commack NY? We are starting a Nitro ONLY Monster club. I doubt that I'll post it up here though.

stang_racer
03-09-2008, 09:05 PM
hey most wanted stop talking about things that you oviously know nothing about!!! plastic is better because of the simple fact of it can snap back to the same plcae bend after bend!!! aluminum/alloy/shinny stuff w/e you would like to call it, is weaker because when it bends it does not sanp back into place, so it comes down to a durability issue do you see my point now!!!

Stampedekid
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
hey most wanted stop talking about things that you oviously know nothing about!!! plastic is better because of the simple fact of it can snap back to the same plcae bend after bend!!! aluminum/alloy/shinny stuff w/e you would like to call it, is weaker because when it bends it does not sanp back into place, so it comes down to a durability issue do you see my point now!!!

Actually, plastic was the thing that broke when it clipped the chair at 20mph. Aluminum won't. Hey, it is my truck, I am going to spend my money on whatever I want to spend it on. Plus I know M_W from IRC.(snoowkid25 is me) Stangracer, Most_Wanted knows a lot about what he is talking about.

clintr79
03-09-2008, 09:43 PM
If you would of had aluminum it would of bent not broke but either way plastic is cheaper than aluminum when something does happen.What would you rather replace

Stampedekid
03-09-2008, 09:55 PM
If you would of had aluminum it would of bent not broke but either way plastic is cheaper than aluminum when something does happen.What would you rather replace

I'd rather get aluminum only because I run around car tires, and poles, chairs, benches and other tough stuff all the time. Rather than replacing it continually, I would rather have aluminum or RPM. My LHS usually doesn't have RPM though.

Donziikid
03-09-2008, 10:18 PM

Stang, MostWanted is actually correct. For this application and the amount of load and stress that it endures, it would be more benefitial to go with alloy. In this case it's stronger. If you wish to continue to post in this thread calm your tone and act politely. Thank you. :)

stang_racer
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
ok buddy one do you have one??? two have you bought the parts in quetion or know someone who has???

Donziikid
03-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes; I own an electric Stampede XL5 and I have broken my left front castor block. I ordered a replacement in plastic from GPM only because I could not pay the price for alloy ones. However, I have ran an electric Stampede with alloy caster blocks and have felt both the quality and precision increase with that upgrade over the stock plastic/GPM.

That upgraded Stampede I ran is a rent-a-truck at my local hobby shop and I've seen countless 10 year olds bash the hell out of their rent-a-trucks because they don't know what they were doing. Those rent-a-trucks with alloy casters have gone through way more abuse than my stock plastic one did that broke.

stang_racer
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
ok with savages the plastic parts are turely more durable, so same should go for traxxas, oh wait i think i hit a speed bump with my truck about a week ago, no that was a stampede or was it a revo???O_o

Stampedekid
03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
ok with savages the plastic parts are turely more durable, so same should go for traxxas, oh wait i think i hit a speed bump with my truck about a week ago, no that was a stampede or was it a revo???O_o

Ok, now you are just going overboard. Stangracer, get out of my thread! I stopped by the LHS after my first day of Physical Therapy with my mom this time. They didn't have anymore alloy ones in stock. So I got some plastic ones. I said ok. End of story.