PDA

View Full Version : Different motor, upgrade to 6 cell, or both?

ling427ttvette
03-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I really need more power out of my truck, it has problems backing up over little things, or crawling over little things.. even with the batteries fully charged. The stock motor isn't cutting it, the lift kit tires are too much for it to handle, which is quite odd IMO since my boss's Hummer does it just fine, unless he has a Stage 2 or something..

I was thinking of getting the 6 cell upgrade, but what would that really offer me?

I have heard of the Radline 130 motor, offers alot of torque but still has some decent speed.

How about you motor building guys here, what do you have to offer? I have no idea what to do inside of those motors, I thought about trying the hand winding thing, but I would rather do it with one of my Gen 1 motors for practice since I have plenty to use..

What do you guys suggest? I have a little bit of money to spend on this, so what can you guys offer or what should I do?

I want to do a crawler, but not right now... maybe later on.

Donziikid
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
If you decide to go the custom motor winding route:

Wind a motor with the highest possible winds as possible. A motor with a pattern wind won't really benefit you that greatly when dealing with such a high amount of wind, but try to keep it as neat as possible so current can flow it as easily as possible.

After you have wound a high wound armature you may want to consider replacing the stock magnets with neodynium magnets. These magnets are much stronger and will help you greatly in the torque department.
---
A six cell upgrade will give you more speed than power, but that all depends on how you want to use it. A four cell Xmod will have plenty of power with the correct motor application to do just about anything you want it to do. A six cell would give you longer run times, however, and slightly more torque and speed/power. As long as you run the trigger correctly you could really harness that power and use it to it's full potential.
---
I've heard the same about the Radline motor. Never actually used one, however.
---
If you don't want to do a crawler just yet, stray away from a servo motor or a Tamiya Gear Box. These offer more torque than you could ask for in crawling but are realllly slow. A high wound motor would have more speed than either of these two but will offer a lesser amount of torque.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Titantaw12
03-03-2008, 08:18 PM
custom motors do have alot more power. I think that they help out alot.

ling427ttvette
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, I went ahead and upgraded to a 6 cell on the truck. It was cheap and pretty easy to do, never soldered before and it was so easy it was ridiculous.

A do still however want a motor with more torque.. anyone have any knowledge of the Radline 130, heard people talk about it but don't know much about it, where could I even get one?

Lancer_Man
03-05-2008, 12:09 AM
You could get an equivalent to the Radline with neos in the S2 or S1 motor.

It'd be easier than digging up a Radline motor. ;)

ling427ttvette
03-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Hhmm.. never been inside of one of them..

How would I go about doing a neo upgrade, and where could I find a set?

meme405
03-05-2008, 12:36 AM
DO neo mags, in a stage 2 motor, and 6 cell and see where that gets you for now...

EDIT: theres a TUT on doing the neodyme upgrade, its not to hard but you do need basic soldering skills...you can buy them from XI...their cheap

theoriganalRiD3R1967
03-05-2008, 02:14 AM
you use a normal motor but rig it up with a worm gear, the worm gear directly to a gear on the drive shaft, this way you tonnes more torque then before, and you're speed will only suffer a little bit, depending on the amount of "threads" around the worm gear, for a little more tourque put a resistor in series with your motor, experiment with some to see which willl give you enough tourque and good speed.

ling427ttvette
03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok, wanted to talk about the 6 cell a bit more..

I noticed that my motor got HOT after running it, and it smelled like it was frying. That surely can't be good, can it?

With the neo thing, is it hard to do? I've never been in one before..

xmodificationer
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
The brushes are probably burning from the more power going through it.

2wdpancar
03-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Ok, wanted to talk about the 6 cell a bit more..

I noticed that my motor got HOT after running it, and it smelled like it was frying. That surely can't be good, can it?

With the neo thing, is it hard to do? I've never been in one before..

Nah.
Just swaping the mags is easy peasy.
What you do, well I do this, I take a pair of pliers, squeeze it together so there is no space, then slide it behind a magnet, and it pops out.
Then just remove the other with your finger.
Swap in the new mags.

I have some I'd be willing to part with, brand new, out of the package.:)

ling427ttvette
03-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I've been fiddling with one of the stock Gen 1 motors that I have.. and I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't have a pinion puller so I can't get it any farther apart than taking the white cover off..

Don't you build motors blt, or you did anyway, right?

meme405
03-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Evos are different then gen 1's you can just pop the entire thing apart...

2wdpancar
03-07-2008, 01:34 AM
I've been fiddling with one of the stock Gen 1 motors that I have.. and I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't have a pinion puller so I can't get it any farther apart than taking the white cover off..

Don't you build motors blt, or you did anyway, right?

Hey hey just cause I'm leaving the xmods scene don't mean I ain't making motors and hanging around.

Although I'm going to HighSchool soon, I may not come back lol.:lol:

ling427ttvette
03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Hhmm.. you think you could do a motor that would be able to do what I'm wanting with my truck?

Basically gobs of torque is what I want. :lol: Just not the crawler speeds..

ling427ttvette
03-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Well, I just got a very nice surprise..

That Barricade that I got for $30.. it came with the Stage 2 upgrade!!

So, I went ahead and put that in with the 8-25 gearing.. seems to have helped me out, the batteries weren't fully charged but I could tell that the gearing made a difference.

Now, what if I was to put that gearing onto the Stage 1 motor, what would happen? I honestly kind of want the Stage 2 motor for the Bumblebee or Barricade. It would just mean there wouldn't be as much of a top speed, right? Or are there any power advantages from the Stage 2?

Lowrideit
03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
The gearing in the S1 would just make it more tourgey,
The S2 with those gears would mean more torge.
And no not much of a top speed cause there torge gears, S1 and S2 do have some differences, Just Rpm's 3,000 Rpm differenece, Doesnt seem like alot, But you can see for your self, it is alot.

ling427ttvette
03-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I knew of the RPM difference.

So basically the Stage 2 does offer a little more grunt than the Stage 1, other than the different gearing?

I can't wait for the batteries to be fully charged, then I can really test it out..

Need to put my other rear diff in though, the one in it is unlocking and making noise.. my other one was locked with glue it looks like, got it from snowboi.

Lowrideit
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah, It does make alittle deffernce. When driving , its noticeable.

ling427ttvette
03-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Ok, I've got the Stage 1 evo motor completely apart..

As for the hand winding thing.. there's a tutorial or something isn't there?

I think someone said like 37 turns is all the stock FET's can handle?

How exactly is this done.. interested in trying atleast.

Edit: Ok, I found a hand winding thread..

It talks about so many winds for the gearing.. what would be safe with the 8-25 gear?

fieldfairy2
03-07-2008, 08:52 PM
well i don't know how safe a 8-25 would be with 37 turns and 30g wire. i would go with 42 or something. less winds more speed.

meme405
03-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Wait what 30G wire, your stock xmod has 24-26, why would you put on smaller wire??

2wdpancar
03-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Ok, I've got the Stage 1 evo motor completely apart..

As for the hand winding thing.. there's a tutorial or something isn't there?

I think someone said like 37 turns is all the stock FET's can handle?

How exactly is this done.. interested in trying atleast.

Edit: Ok, I found a hand winding thread..

It talks about so many winds for the gearing.. what would be safe with the 8-25 gear?

For the EVO's if u do 37t it should stay on stock gears.
Do like 42t and you can use 12-23 it should be okay.

37t is the limit correct.:nod: :bigwink:

Wait what 30G wire, your stock xmod has 24-26, why would you put on smaller wire??

No bud it has 31awg or 32awg. Lol..wrong again.

Scionbeave
03-07-2008, 09:56 PM
how did the sixth cell work on the truck cause ive got a crawler and i wanted to do a sixth cell on mine but i didnt know how much a difference it would make for power.

Lowrideit
03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
37 is not safe.
Stock fets, I think is 47, Not positive, Pm Blt and ask him, with 8:25 gearing, What admount of winds is safe.
how did the sixth cell work on the truck cause ive got a crawler and i wanted to do a sixth cell on mine but i didnt know how much a difference it would make for power.
Boat loads,
Think about it like this, A stock Xmod is off 4 AAA's,
Then You add 2, Makes it 6 total.
So it makes like a 30% diffference,
Alot.
Its worth the 97 cents you pay at R.s for the battery holder.
Trust me.

Scionbeave
03-07-2008, 10:14 PM
could i solder it on to the motor wires so if i wanted to put a sixthcell on to one of my other trucks all i would have to do is switch the motor?

BART
03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
could i solder it on to the motor wires so if i wanted to put a sixthcell on to one of my other trucks all i would have to do is switch the motor?

No.

2wdpancar
03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
37 is not safe.
Stock fets, I think is 47, Not positive, Pm Blt and ask him, with 8:25 gearing, What admount of winds is safe.

Boat loads,
Think about it like this, A stock Xmod is off 4 AAA's,
Then You add 2, Makes it 6 total.
So it makes like a 30% diffference,
Alot.
Its worth the 97 cents you pay at R.s for the battery holder.
Trust me.

37t is the dead limit on any evo.
But that should be used with 8-25 gearing so it has little chance of frying the fets...

ling427ttvette
03-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Scion you have to solder it into the board, into the negative wire. There is a tutorial on it, I don't have the time right now to look for it though.

I think I'm going to try 37t and leave it with the gearing I have, I guess if anything happens it'll just be more money, right? :lol:

Lowrideit
03-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Once again,
Blt proves me wrong.

Spade
03-10-2008, 06:13 PM
check atomicmods.com, they have some slightly faster motors that just require backwards wiring (tho you cud maybe just switch the pos and neg wires) go with a 40K motor and use stock gearing. unless you see the stage 2 motor on sale for 8$ again, go get that one on atomic mods. stage 2 works for me tho

ling427ttvette
03-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Ok well, I'll be needing something alot stronger now..

The truck has basically turned into a monster truck, and while it will move with the wheels that are on it, I think I might try the servo route.

Depending on which is easier to put in, I have been thinking HS-55..

If someone could point me in the right direction of which one I should get out of this list, that would be awesome:

Long ebay link (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C6&from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hs-55+servo&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=67801&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1)

There looks to be different kinds or something, so what would be the better one?

Edit: What about these?

6 dollars a piece. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitec-HS-55-servo-s_W0QQitemZ170200596492QQihZ007QQcategoryZ34056QQt cZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Do those look any good?

meme405
03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
For the EVO's if u do 37t it should stay on stock gears.
Do like 42t and you can use 12-23 it should be okay.

37t is the limit correct.:nod: :bigwink:

No bud it has 31awg or 32awg. Lol..wrong again.

your talking AWG im talking metric guages...

Edit: NVM you prob right...wow i didnt know they were that thin origininally are they any different form evo to gen 1?