PDA

View Full Version : Slow motor

_NICO_
02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
does anyone know where I can get a motor with somewhere around 15-20000 rpms? I'll be using it for crawling.

stang_racer
02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
um try a servo i found one in a rc car from wal mart and it has really good torque so if u want it ive got it ill sell u it for like... 6 bucks pm me if ur interested but idk if it would be good in a truck u might want to hit blt up for a motorsee what he has

fieldfairy2
02-06-2008, 05:31 PM
A stock 130 size motor is not for crawling. What you need is a tamiya universal gearbox.(i have it and like it)you need high performance carbon brushes and neo mags for better performance. A hitec hs 55 servo is good too but takes more work to install. There is the hs 81 and hs 85. I wouldn't use the hs 85 because no body has used it. I might use it for a second crawler when(if ) i get my friends truck.

hope this helps

stang_racer
02-06-2008, 05:32 PM
isnt that what the hs55 is a servo??? corect me if im wrong

Stampedekid
02-06-2008, 05:34 PM
isnt that what the hs55 is a servo??? corect me if im wrong

Yup. I plan on using my Pro-Pulse Servo.

stang_racer
02-06-2008, 05:36 PM
ok ya that what i meant when i said um try a servo lol

fieldfairy2
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Yea i know the hs 55 is a servo. I am just giving him a servo that i know has been used and is a good servo. THe propusle works too but i think is a little slower and has a little less torque. Correct me if i am wrong.

Donziikid
02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
First, you should read this. It's a schwak of information about motors and their components. Motor Explanation on XMW by CreativeSN. (http://www.xmodworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20938&start=0)

Second, 130 motors (the stock motor in your Xmod is a 130 size motor) have no gear reduction units on them like the servo's and the Tamiya Gear Box's have. These make the torque many times more prominent than that of a 130 size motor.

Here's a visual representation of both of them being used in an Xmod:
Servo motor: Tutorial (http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11590) on how to do the servo mod with an HS-55 servo found here.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/legomaniac_2006/28strap.jpg
Photo by Lancer_Man.

Tamiya Gear Box:
There is no known tutorial on how to do this yet. I'm sure Texan would be able to help you if you choose to go this route.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p316/texanidiot25/IMG_1654.jpg
Photo by Texan_Idiot25.

As you can see the HS-55 conversion is much smaller but probably has less torque because there are less gears to do the reduction. Also, there is minimal modification needed to be done on the Tamiya Gear Box where as in the servo modification you have to take the whole servo apart to make it spin 360*. However, in the Tamiya Gear Box you must hack away at more of the motor cradle than you would have to hack away at for the servo.

It's all personal prefference. One's smaller, one's larger, one takes more work, one doesn't take as much work..

fieldfairy2
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
THe tamiya gearbox is cheaper too. I have one on my crawler. I can help you to install it too. If you need help pm me or something. All i had to do to install it was cut the rod in the gearbox to a size that the fits on the motor cradle and sticks out a couple mm in the gear cover. you can see it in texan's pic. Find the pinion gear(stage 2 motor has them) i wanted and drilled a bigger hole in it, then glued it to the rod. Next i found out where the rod needs to be held in the gearbox(to mesh the pinion with the 23 tooth in the cradle). Then i drilled a hole in the gear cover.(plastic one on the cradle) Placed the rod through it and installed it. There you go. I almost forgot there are 2 tabs on the universal gearbox. Pull them back under the gearbox if you use a screw driver you can bend the tab to get a better angle. It then screws in the motor cradle.

It may sound confusing but it does work. Like i said pm me or i might make a tut. hope this helps?

Edit: Look at my avatar and you can see the gearbox.(the shiny silver thing) That is an old pic too.