PDA

View Full Version : FETS answer if you know....

dylan1
01-22-2008, 12:57 PM
well i have the nissan titan and i was thinking maybe to give it a little boost to upgrade the fets.i dont even know where they are located so plz leme know that and if you could pint me in the direction of where to get them and what kind i should get.i need an indroduction i guess you could call it.

Lowrideit
01-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Theres only 1 kind of Fet I think..... I dont kknow if it will give you any boost, Maybe alittle, not alot...
I would get them at Atomicmods.com
Idk, Im not the best at this, So guys correct me if Im wrong.

Donziikid
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
There are many kinds of FETs. There's the N-channel and the P-channel. There are also many different types of FETs that allow different amperages/voltages through themselves.

You have a few options. You can get your FETs done by someone here on the board (BLT does it, I believe, maybe he'll post here. And there's also XCRL from XMW; one of the best in the business, for sure.) or have it done by AtomicMods.com.

AtomicMods would probably be more exensive, but less of a wait, and you wouldn't have to worry at all about them doing it. Search around www.atomicmods.com and see what you can find that you wish to be done.

BART
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
However, depending on what other mods you have or plan for...fets will probably not give you the "boost" you are looking for.

Mooshu_Beef
01-22-2008, 07:22 PM
As far as I know the FETs on the Evolution boards (anything of the latest generation chassis design) are better than that of the Gen 1. When I replaced my FETs with a 2X1 (very tough if you have little to no soldering skills, but I've been soldering for a while and you really need to know what you are doing...) I did notice an increase in speed. This is because the 4562 FET is a more efficient FET than the stock ones on my Generation 1.

However, to fully utilize the FET, you must pair it with a high amp motor. You can go out and buy a high amp motor but it might destroy the FETs.

The reason why I bring up the FET is that there was an increase in speed from installation of a 2X1 (I just replaced them) on a Gen 1 board, and using a motor with a Stage 2 armature, Atomic silver compound brushes and Neodymium Ferrite-Boron magnets. This might demand amperage that the stock FETS could handle, but not to its fullest extent. I think the FETs are good enough on the Evo board to really use the stage 2's to their full extent.

Long story short, if you plan to get FET upgrade, get a better motor.

However if you are looking for a power boost, I would recommend getting Neodymium-Ferrite-Boron Magnets (people call them Neo mags) and or a silver brush compound. These will boost your performance and speed by:

-Stock brushes aren't that great. When you open up your motor, you'll see these two thin brush like things that touch the rotating rod with the coils wrapped around it. The rod and coils are called the armature. The brushes are the, well, brushes. Any aftermarket compound will be much better than the stock carbon compound, allowing for better current flow.

Neodymium magnets will increase torque dramatically. These things are the strongest rare-earth magnet, and if you see/pull them apart yourself, you'll know. They will take a bit off of your top speed according to a dyno. But in my opinion, the extra torque allows you to reach a higher rpm as opposed to the regular magnets. You could have an engine that can do 11,000RPM, but not enough torque to ever reach it. But you could have an engine that has more torque, and can only do 10,000RPM, but can actually reach it in a driving situation.

You will be very pleased if you do this. Take it a step further and get an atomic Ball Bearing can, which is a can where the armature goes into, and the armature spins on bearings rather than brass bushings. I am sure you know bearings are much better than just metal.

Woah Nelly is a great company and actually seems to be the first people to start the FET replacing craze. Here is their guide to the "Plasma Dash" motor, which incorporates an Atomic Ball Bearing Can, and a Plasma Dash motor. This should run on Stock FETs by a Gen 1 standard, so you should be perfectly fine in your Evo.

http://www.woahnelly.com/plasmatomic/index.htm

Once you get into these speeds, you will have to start worrying about your drivetrain...

All in all, I think there are many more options for you to go before you begin to ponder the world of FETs. Atomic mods installs FETs for a 2X1 stack starting at $25 here:
http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/XMOD-FET-Stacking-Service__10645.aspx

While neodymium magnets are as cheap as $4 for a pair, and brushes for $3. The BB can is $15 and this COMES with great brushes already, AND neomagnets!

check out rcmart which is in Hong Kong. Great prices, but shipping can bite you. When I ordered some xmod parts and the can with magnets, my shipping was still under $5 dollars due to the light weight. However I was looking to get some parts for my TT-01, and the shipping is already $17 dollars...

Wow this was long, but hopefully it was helpful. If you are still adamant about the FETs, go for it. You won't be disappointed, but there are lots of other things you can do that will give you more results.

2wdpancar
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
-XCRL- has way more Experience than me, I am pretty dang confident I can do it...I stacked stock FETs...almost...:lol:
Mooshu_Beef just laid it out, read it, understand it, and apply it.

+2 for mooshu beef!