PDA

View Full Version : Good Nitro?

adamcrawls
01-13-2008, 09:05 PM
hey i was wondering if this was a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=280167845369&Category=44029&_trksid=p3907.m29

clintr79
01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I would stay away from off brands there not that great and finding parts is hard

adamcrawls
01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
well im looking to buy a nitro without going over 150 got any ideas complete package:-?

Stampedekid
01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I would stray away from that. You don't know the durability. Check Exceed RC,, they have some good prices. But you aren't really gonna find a good Nitro for under $150. The Traxxas Nitro Stampede is a good nitro beginner truck, but has much potential. PM me with details about it if you need help or have any questions.

REDisFASTER
01-13-2008, 09:30 PM
well im looking to buy a nitro without going over 150 got any ideas complete package:-?

I would recommend staying away from ANY nitro that costs less than $250 or $300.

Trust me. You get what you pay for. You'll end up getting nowhere cheaping out on a kit. You may end up spending a boatload of money just trying to get that thing running 'decent' enough to keep up with the 'name-brand' nitros.

Stampedekid
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I would recommend staying away from ANY nitro that costs less than $250 or $300.

Trust me. You get what you pay for. You'll end up getting nowhere cheaping out on a kit. You may end up spending a boatload of money just trying to get that thing running 'decent' enough to keep up with the 'name-brand' nitros.

Agreed right there. Like I said, stray away from those.

adamcrawls
01-13-2008, 09:37 PM
I just don't have the money and i'm really impatient i would have to wait like 3 years :cry:

is acme a name brand ? im totally new to nitro lol

Stampedekid
01-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I just don't have the money and i'm really impatient i would have to wait like 3 years :cry:

I am new too. But it is easy to learn. Traxxas is a good brand, so is HPI, AE, Duratrax, and much much more. I run a Traxxas. Great truck and was only $279.99(I payed myself thats just for the truck and the other stuff, no gas etc...)

clintr79
01-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I would try to look for a good used one a friend of my has 6 all bought used and no problems

snowboi1289
01-13-2008, 10:36 PM
try http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/category.cfm?catID=180 , most of the time ppls sell good stuff..
and http://www.nitrorcx.com/buggies.html

guitarboy911
01-13-2008, 11:50 PM
alot of people are getting into nitros....

- You Will Break Parts!
- idc what you hear its a major investment...
-get a name brand one 2 that engine is a .18 and on a cheap one like that 30-40mph if that.
-i might sell my buggie but i cant decide..

torredo
01-13-2008, 11:55 PM
yea...i just cant wait til spring so i can fire up my Savage and go to town with it!

only another 1 1/2 months....

SPR
01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
first, not trying to be a dick with this comment, but if you cant afford a $300 truck. you really cant afford to be into nitro R/C's.

like others have said, you WILL break parts. you will. its impossible not to pretty much. parts add up and get very expensive quick. one nasty accidental wreck can cost you 100+ bucks in parts.

Fuel is 20+ bucks a gallon. it doesnt run off pump gas you buy at the station. fuel gets very expensive depending how much you run it.

these are nothing but major money pits... they are head aches, and cost a lot of money to keep em running.

and motors if taken care of extremely well, will normally only last about 5 gallons of fuel. so after spending 125 bucks on gas, you have to spend 100-300 bucks on a new motor.

they are a great ammount of fun, i wish everyone could own one, i think everyone deserves too, but they cost a LOT of money. dont give up on it. keep saving and get a nice truck... it will have a lot of down time, but it will be tons of fun when its up and running.

but if you spend 150 bucks on that pos ebay truck with a plastic chassis. your going to break it in less than a week, and then what. 150 bucks out the window because you cant find parts.

if your broke, buy used! get on ebay and look for a traxxas tmaxx 2.5. not the 3.3. you can find 2.5's for really cheap and they are the perfect beginner truck. easy to work on and fix. parts are decently cheap most the time. and the 2.5 is a very good, trouble free motor. i just bought a new 2.5 for one of my trucks. brand spanking new i got the motor for 94 bucks on ebay... not to bad. just do your self a big favor and save save save, get a name brand truck. that is the ONLY way to go.

SPR
01-14-2008, 03:21 PM

stick to traxxas, AE/Team associated, HPI, or ofna

only brands worth a **** in the nitro RC world.

guitarboy911
01-14-2008, 05:11 PM
first, not trying to be a dick with this comment, but if you cant afford a $300 truck. you really cant afford to be into nitro R/C's.

like others have said, you WILL break parts. you will. its impossible not to pretty much. parts add up and get very expensive quick. one nasty accidental wreck can cost you 100+ bucks in parts.

Fuel is 20+ bucks a gallon. it doesnt run off pump gas you buy at the station. fuel gets very expensive depending how much you run it.

these are nothing but major money pits... they are head aches, and cost a lot of money to keep em running.

and motors if taken care of extremely well, will normally only last about 5 gallons of fuel. so after spending 125 bucks on gas, you have to spend 100-300 bucks on a new motor.

they are a great ammount of fun, i wish everyone could own one, i think everyone deserves too, but they cost a LOT of money. dont give up on it. keep saving and get a nice truck... it will have a lot of down time, but it will be tons of fun when its up and running.

but if you spend 150 bucks on that pos ebay truck with a plastic chassis. your going to break it in less than a week, and then what. 150 bucks out the window because you cant find parts.

if your broke, buy used! get on ebay and look for a traxxas tmaxx 2.5. not the 3.3. you can find 2.5's for really cheap and they are the perfect beginner truck. easy to work on and fix. parts are decently cheap most the time. and the 2.5 is a very good, trouble free motor. i just bought a new 2.5 for one of my trucks. brand spanking new i got the motor for 94 bucks on ebay... not to bad. just do your self a big favor and save save save, get a name brand truck. that is the ONLY way to go.

- Yes, he has the picture....like i said its a big investment and a never ending one to be specific. Money flys by with these. that is why i like xmods A: i can run then in the off-season indoors and B: They are realtively cheap.

adamcrawls
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
where could i buy nitro gas? and i was wondering is smarttech a good brand?

SPR
01-15-2008, 03:11 AM
where could i buy nitro gas? and i was wondering is smarttech a good brand?

hobby shops like hobby town or something. i htink you can buy it online from like towerhobbies.

and no smarttech is not a good brand.

jameslew
03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
a motor only last 5 gallons? how many hours of run time is that?

Stampedekid
03-18-2008, 12:13 PM
a motor only last 5 gallons? how many hours of run time is that?

A long time. I used up a gallon in 3 months. The tanks are relatively small. They are definitely a big investment, but are a huge amount of fun!

stang_racer
03-18-2008, 02:24 PM
well personaly i cant say enough for the hpi savage so ill let the vids do the talking!!!
http://www.highoctanehobbies.com/videos/

Stampedekid
03-18-2008, 02:52 PM
well personaly i cant say enough for the hpi savage so ill let the vids do the talking!!!
http://www.highoctanehobbies.com/videos/

He doesn't want something very expensive. The Savage is $430 USD. That's a lot. The Nitro Stampede is durable, fast, and easy! It was $279.99 USD+tax. Then about $90 more for the nitro, battery for starter, quick charger, and a few more things.

jameslew
03-18-2008, 03:04 PM
so that means if you live in maine a motor would last you 2 years if well maitenenced? that would mean you burn 5 gallons of gas

stang_racer
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
where you live has nothing to do with the life of the motor. its how hard you run it and how often you run it. like i could go thruogh amotor in like a gallon if i was to run it super hard

jameslew
03-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I didn't mean it as where, Its just how many months are good for driving in. April through october and some november is good for driving. If you drive in the winter its not good for it. It makes plastic brittle when cold and I'm thinking it might wear out the motor faster

stang_racer
03-18-2008, 06:51 PM
oh the motor will be fine as long as you put a cold style clow plug in for the cold weather, thats what the cold and hot is for in the glow plugs, for those of you who dont know, its for what kind of temperature your running your motor in. and as a side note i will say this the temp doesnt matter just as long as you can drive well and not hit things your good to go

jameslew
03-18-2008, 07:22 PM
ya but there is nowhere to drive but the middle of the road which driving on dirt looks more fun.

redrkt
03-19-2008, 12:54 AM

Actually there are several people around here that have the RedCat version of that truck and they have not had any problems with them.

redrkt
03-19-2008, 12:57 AM
so that means if you live in maine a motor would last you 2 years if well maitenenced? that would mean you burn 5 gallons of gas

Most engines will last about 4 -5 gal before having to be rebuilt or replaced regardless of where you live.

The key to long engine life is proper maintenance and proper tuning.

stang_racer
03-19-2008, 01:44 AM
thats what i was trying to get at lol thanxs there red