PDA

View Full Version : Detachable Steering Wheels?

Sweed
01-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, CRX are quite easy to steal, so I've been looking into buying a detachable steering wheel. I will bring it around at school with me all day or wide it somewere in the car (under the spare tire or under a seat). But anyone know of a place that sells OEM/JDM style wheels that are detachable (easily)??

WhiteMKIV
01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
www.ebay.com :D lol you can probably find then there

SPR
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
yeah ebay they are dirt cheap for detachable hubs...

but fyi, thats about the worst meathod of anti theft. any wheel will just snap right on to it. so its not really any much harder, you need to get creative and start adding kill switches in hiden locations or pulling fuses or something so your car wont start.

Sweed
01-09-2008, 08:27 PM
but fyi, thats about the worst meathod of anti theft. any wheel will just snap right on to it. so its not really any much harder, you need to get creative and start adding kill switches in hiden locations or pulling fuses or something so your car wont start.

I know it's not the best, but it let's me get in the car easier as well. Otherwise it's this thing were i put my right leg in and kinda slide in..

I'm gonna do a few kill switches, I just don't know were/how, and I want the wiring cleaned up first.

redrkt
01-09-2008, 11:42 PM
yeah ebay they are dirt cheap for detachable hubs...

have you ever tried putting a stock steering wheel on a race car?

they use splined hubs that mate with a special connector that snaps in place.
it is not just a matter of putting another steering wheel on the shaft.

SPR
01-10-2008, 12:21 AM

they use splined hubs that mate with a special connector that snaps in place.
it is not just a matter of putting another steering wheel on the shaft.

all detachable hubs are set up about the same. basically any sparco, momo, apc, etc steering wheel will fit on the hub. so if he takes his off and walks away, any moron car jacker with a sparco wheel and pop his car open, slap the wheel on and take off just as easy as before.

TwitchyVirus
01-10-2008, 12:23 AM

it might just be me... but i dont think his CRX has a splinted race car steering hub... i doubt that its even a race car at all... well besides stop light drags...

redrkt
01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
all detachable hubs are set up about the same. basically any sparco, momo, apc, etc steering wheel will fit on the hub. so if he takes his off and walks away, any moron car jacker with a sparco wheel and pop his car open, slap the wheel on and take off just as easy as before.
yeah and every car thief carries a specially modified racing wheel on the off chance that the car he is going to randomly steal has a splined steering column.
AND has the snap lock collar on it.

And just an FYI you don't get a mounting collar when you buy the steering wheel you get it with the column mounting setup and the wheel is bolted to the splined collar.

Besides we are talking about a CRX here.

firebird999
01-10-2008, 07:58 AM
paint the car tye-dye. that should deter any theif.

Sweed
01-10-2008, 01:05 PM
yeah and every car thief carries a specially modified racing wheel on the off chance that the car he is going to randomly steal has a splined steering column.

My point exactly. Throw in a kill switch and it's done. I'll catch them before that..

civic_guy
01-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Just get an alarm dude. I have an alarm on my Si and Houston is bad for stolen si's. Mine hasn't been touched.

Sweed
01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Just get an alarm dude. I have an alarm on my Si and Houston is bad for stolen si's. Mine hasn't been touched.

Like it hasn't been stolen but it's gone off or what?
I'm going the little flashing red LED...

But the steering wheel makes it easier to get in the car. For those that are like 6'4" and sat in a Honda, it takes some figuring out on getting in without killing your knees.

SPR
01-10-2008, 02:18 PM

And just an FYI you don't get a mounting collar when you buy the steering wheel you get it with the column mounting setup and the wheel is bolted to the splined collar.

Besides we are talking about a CRX here.

okay were talking about a detachable hub for a steering wheel for a CRX!. NOT a race car!!! detachable hubs bolt right to the stock steering columb, the $20 ebay special wheel snaps into the detachable hub. the hubs are like what 50 bucks on ebay.

you'd be suprised the tools a car jacker has, a $20 steering wheel isnt exactly the hardest thing to get.

alarms dont do **** lol. specialyl when they can be disabled in less than 10 seconds, you better hope your in hearing distance for that 10 seconds. your car hasnt been stolen because of luck, not that alarm.

Sweed
01-10-2008, 02:32 PM
alarms dont do **** lol. specialyl when they can be disabled in less than 10 seconds, you better hope your in hearing distance for that 10 seconds. your car hasnt been stolen because of luck, not that alarm.

Considering it's parked in the 'crappy' neighborhoods, I don't think an alarm will do much (unless it's a police siren)..

Any other ways to make a car harder to steal?

TheB1GDude
01-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Best thing to do is put a kill switch behind on of those button covers on your dash - you know the ones where you only get the button when you buy the top of the line model....

Pull the cover off fit it onto a push button kill switch put it back in place minus and bingo instant kill switch.

Car thieves will never find it.

civic_guy
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Alarms are a great deterrant. If the theif wants your **** THAT bad he'll take it. In Houston I know a guy who has had his car stolen from his garage. I've also witnessed a stripped Si in our school parking lot. If theives can take it...they'll strip it.

There is nothing you can do to keep theives from taking your car. NOTHING. There's a way around every single anti-theft device. Lowjack, Alarm, Killswitch, removable steeringwheel or a locked steering wheel. Don't forget, theives don't just take the car...some just leave it where it is and strip it down to the frame.

That being said alarms are a great deterent. Why? because MOST theives are lazy (hence why they steal instead of work like everyone else) so all you're really doing is making it harder for them and alarms do that best for the amount of monet you spend.

Just get yourself an alarm that will cut power to the motor if its set off. Mine has that flashing red light when the alarm is activated and its treated me well.

There's no luck involved. My car hasn't gotten stolen because its not easy to steal. 90% of Hondas stolen in Houston don't have alarms. Alarms and other anti-theft devices are merely deterants, they make it harder and not worth stealing or stripping the car.

Sweed; a removable steering wheel may seem like a geat idea but honestly, it'll just atract more attention to your car. Plus you have to think about your car being stripped...not just stolen. An Alarm makes it hard for them to strip AND steal. Alarms these days are harder to disengage. When you're at your house park it in the garage. If you're really paranoid get Lowjack.

Hell go to your local police and find out what they reccomend...they can probly tell you what characteristics of commonly stolen cars are (ie no alarm, make and model, etc).

xmodificationer
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Best thing to do is put a kill switch behind on of those button covers on your dash - you know the ones where you only get the button when you buy the top of the line model....

Pull the cover off fit it onto a push button kill switch put it back in place minus and bingo instant kill switch.

not unless they read that post:uhoh:

firebird999
01-10-2008, 05:58 PM

but then they could so easily hit it by accident. i'd say do this:
behind the glove compartment of most cars (reach under and up) is a little area with nothing but metal and plastic around the edges. put the switch there. or you can have a code on the door handle, but rig it so that if more than 5 false attempts are made to activate it, it squirts ink then notifies the police.

texan_idiot25
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
An aftermarket alarm is pretty useless, very rarely are they good. Sadly the most effective I have ever seen was in my mom's Saturn. Since it was integrated in OEM, unless the car was started with the coded key, the alarm won't ever reset unless the battery is disconnected for something like 2 hours, kills the ECU, and locked the radio. Doubt a thief has time to wait.. 90% of people simply ignore alarms anyways...

Kill switches, plain and simple. As SPR said, the steering wheels you find Sweed, are pretty universal. Tilt your column up when you get out, so it's easier to get in. Or get a truck.

One trick, is to wire a series of kill switches, that have to be in a certain combo to start the car. A fuel cut-off is another good way.

My plan... replace an OE switch as a kill switch, and take the column shifter with me.:lol:

Sweed
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
One trick, is to wire a series of kill switches, that have to be in a certain combo to start the car. A fuel cut-off is another good way.

My plan... replace an OE switch as a kill switch, and take the column shifter with me.:lol:

The problem is I have memory lapses (been off Caffine and I have insomnia..) so I'll forget unless I right it down or something...

I'm just wondering were to put the switches...
-- One for Battery Power
-- One for the Fuel Pump
-- One for Starter
-- One for all of the above
-- One fake one... :lol:

What's a OE Switch (exuse my english)?

texan_idiot25
01-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Any one of the original switches. For instance, I have an item on my truck that can be hard-wired and not need the switch. Then route the ignition wire to that now use-less switch.

Fuel pump (if electric, make sure yours isn't mechanical), and ignition wires is all you have to worry about. Also a valve placed after the pump is another way to kill it. Killing the battery for too long will reset the ECU ya know. So everytime you start it up again after sitting for awhile, it's gonna run crappy until it relearns everything. (also a free way to clear ECU trouble codes).

Plus you have to always reset the clock.

SPR
01-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Alarms are a great deterrant. If the theif wants your **** THAT bad he'll take it. In Houston I know a guy who has had his car stolen from his garage. I've also witnessed a stripped Si in our school parking lot. If theives can take it...they'll strip it.

That being said alarms are a great deterent. Why? because MOST theives are lazy (hence why they steal instead of work like everyone else) so all you're really doing is making it harder for them and alarms do that best for the amount of monet you spend.

uhh wrong... alarms are about the most useless deterent ever... all you have to do is cut the bat cable and your alarm is gone. like i said, your alarm is going to be disabled in about 10 seconds... no joke.

There's no luck involved. My car hasn't gotten stolen because its not easy to steal. 90% of Hondas stolen in Houston don't have alarms. Alarms and other anti-theft devices are merely deterants, they make it harder and not worth stealing or stripping the car.

i have a hard time believing any of that. alarms are like one of the most common things of ricers. **** $500 broken down 1980 civics have alarms now days. you can get alarms for as cheap as 100 bucks now days. tons of people have alarms in this town. i have a very hard time a big city like houston, hardly anyone has an alarm. in the car jacker world, alarms are hardly hard to crack.

An Alarm makes it hard for them to strip AND steal. Alarms these days are harder to disengage. When you're at your house park it in the garage. If you're really paranoid get Lowjack.

alarms dont do any of what you just said. and they are not any harder to disengauge. cut the bat cable yoru alarm is gone. very few now days have their own back up battery to keep them going, in which case, just rip the horn wires out. with as tight as engine bays are now days, the horns are not really any harder to find than your car battery.

a lo jack? please. all that does is help you find your stripped shell sitting on cinder blocks. first off lo jack doesnt do **** untill you report your car stolen. so if you go to bed at 10 pm. your car gets stolen at 11pm, you dont wake up and head out side to work untill 8am guess what. your car has been gone for 9 hours, and nothing has been done. then you call and report it stolen, and they send out the signal to start tracking your car. then its luck if the cops find it or not. if they happen to be driving in the right area in range of the transmiter in your car, there thing will pick it up and start beeping, then they just have to drive around until lthey find it. works exactly liek a metal detector.

lo jack is also super easy to disable. all it is, is a litlte black box, hidding inside your car. find it, pull its battery out, and bam your lo jack is disabled. and in 9 hours... i think they can find it and do that. i was curious and did a test on my 06 sti... took me 24 minutes to find my lo jack box.

An aftermarket alarm is pretty useless, very rarely are they good. Sadly the most effective I have ever seen was in my mom's Saturn. Since it was integrated in OEM, unless the car was started with the coded key, the alarm won't ever reset unless the battery is disconnected for something like 2 hours, kills the ECU, and locked the radio. Doubt a thief has time to wait.. 90% of people simply ignore alarms anyways...

Kill switches, plain and simple. As SPR said, the steering wheels you find Sweed, are pretty universal. Tilt your column up when you get out, so it's easier to get in. Or get a truck.

at least someone has some brains lol.

kill switches are the best deterrants. still not 100% for sure but can help some. have all the different type of kill switches you can, hide them in random places.

alarms, clutch locks, steering wheel clubs, jo jack doesnt do ****. it holds em up for a few min maybe... but its still no problem to get around.

texan_idiot25
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Clutch locks, clubs, and such are actually better deturents then alarms. All they are is another obstacle for the thief. At which point it's easier to just go find the next car. Time is money for these guys.

I can tear out my car alarm in the Firebird in less then a minute... also it was annoying so I disabled it completely anyways. Just went off all the time. Even if the earth rotated wrong, it went off..

SPR
01-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Clutch locks, clubs, and such are actually better deturents then alarms. All they are is another obstacle for the thief. At which point it's easier to just go find the next car. Time is money for these guys.

I can tear out my car alarm in the Firebird in less then a minute... also it was annoying so I disabled it completely anyways. Just went off all the time. Even if the earth rotated wrong, it went off..

on cheap cars with not much of value yeah they prob will go off to the next, but even bone stock type R integras a thief will jump threw a ring of fire to get that sucker, or any other honda with "jdm parts" or the really hot parts everyone wants.

and you know u can set the sensitivity right? lol

XMDrifter
01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
i think i'll jack up the alarm's volume to a near earsplitting sound(with a backup battery and a hood that locks with a encoded key) and super fast strobes to get to them light sensitive theives....lol...that'll give the normal ones a headache when they're tryin to strip or steal my car.
+kill switches is a bonus if they can deactivate my stuff

SPR
01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
i think i'll jack up the alarm's volume to a near earsplitting sound(with a backup battery and a hood that locks with a encoded key) and super fast strobes to get to them light sensitive theives....lol...that'll give the normal ones a headache when they're tryin to strip or steal my car.

you can hope the theif is an epaleptic (sp?) then he will have a siezer with the strobes going off and you can go kick his *** while he is shaking on the ground :lol:

jimmythekid1
01-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Hey sweed a lot of alarms do disable cranking, but the problem I have had with them is after about 12 months here in Michigan the alarms quit working and then you can't even start the car your self. Most of them with crank disable go in line with the ignition feed and if you alarm module fails you screwed. I think the reason they all fail after a year here is because of are temperature varies so much it can be below freezing all night then by lunch time its 60 Degrees F out. Electronics, especially the cheap ones these after market alarms are made from don't last to long in these temperature changes.

However if that does happen all you have to do is splice the original ignition feeds back together. I would be sure most thieves know this too.

A detachable wheel may work out for you because your car is not likely to be attractive to a pro. The pro want late models, then they go to the chop shop and are parted out. Since your car is older if any one tries to steal it it will probably be just some dumb kid. Since yur car has a electric fuel pump and kill switch for the pump would work nice too, get me the year and I will get you a wiring diagram.

redrkt
01-11-2008, 08:08 AM
just for everyone's information, if a car thief really wants your car NOTHING is going to stop them from getting it!!!

When I was still driving truck over the road, I watched a brand new Volvo get stripped in less than a minute while it was sitting on the side of the road IN New York City, WITH full lanes of traffic around it and the owner was walking up the ramp to go find a phone (pre cell phone days) to call for a tow truck.

They had a show on tv once that showed that a professional crew of car thieves can strip a car in less than 30 seconds.

texan_idiot25
01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
just for everyone's information, if a car thief really wants your car NOTHING is going to stop them from getting it!!!

When I was still driving truck over the road, I watched a brand new Volvo get stripped in less than a minute while it was sitting on the side of the road IN New York City, WITH full lanes of traffic around it and the owner was walking up the ramp to go find a phone (pre cell phone days) to call for a tow truck.

They had a show on tv once that showed that a professional crew of car thieves can strip a car in less than 30 seconds.

I'd love to see some one actually strip a car of more then rims in less then 30 seconds..

If they want the **** thing, they'll bring a tow truck. But until then, proper deterrents ward off most that don't want to mess with the trouble. In grand prairie, my dad always parked his '78 El Camino with the club on if it was out of the garage. It was a clean truck, and a custom two tone. Our neighbor had a similar year Malibu in rough shape.. Guess which car got ripped off one night?

RedSXmodder
01-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I'd love to see some one actually strip a car of more then rims in less then 30 seconds..

Give me a buzz-saw and some c4, and prepare to be amazed...

firebird
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
probally ebay.

texan_idiot25
01-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Give me a buzz-saw and some c4, and prepare to be amazed...

Buzzsaw?
http://www.nightmarefactory.com/DU2430.jpg

C4?
http://admin.channel4.com/4car/media/C/chevrolet/corvette/historical/03-large/1989-white-vette.jpg

Hmmmm, these tools seem a bit off-beat for car thieves.

taiwanesekid05
01-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Buzzsaw?
http://www.nightmarefactory.com/DU2430.jpg

C4?
http://admin.channel4.com/4car/media/C/chevrolet/corvette/historical/03-large/1989-white-vette.jpg

Hmmmm, these tools seem a bit off-beat for car thieves.

Robot Chicken :rolfsm:.

I bet you could smash the C4 into the car, grab the disfigured pieces and run...

texan_idiot25
01-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Eh, the Corvette has a fiber-glass body... find something else if you want to go on a hit-and-run spree. :lol:

firebird999
01-12-2008, 11:33 AM
get a tank maybe?

REDisFASTER
01-12-2008, 12:45 PM

One of those piezo alarm things... About 5-10 seconds and whoever is in the vicinity will have bleeding ears... Mount it under your dash, behind your dash trim, so they can't actually see it... By the time they find it, they'll be under so much excruciating pain that they'd just give up.

As for the quick-release steering wheel, I suggest getting a steering wheel hub for your CRX, on the bottom of the list: http://www.statracing.com/buy/nrg-steering-wheel-hub.asp

A quick release hub: http://www.statracing.com/buy/nrg-quick-release-hub.asp

As well as a quick-lock hub: http://www.statracing.com/buy/nrg-quick-lock-hub.asp

Oh, and pick your steering wheel here: http://www.statracing.com/buy/nrg-quick-lock-hub.asp

The Quick-Lock hub will prevent a theif from sliding on any other steering wheel and making off with your car.

Remember, quick-release is nothing if the guy stealing your car also has a steering wheel that he can pop back into place!

As for people just towing your car... I've got nothing on that...

Sweed
01-12-2008, 02:28 PM
As for people just towing your car... I've got nothing on that...

Thanks for the tips, but what if he has ear plugs? :-?

Put it in gear and handbrake. Gear solves front wheels, E-brake solves rear.. Kinda low to tow it though..

bondo
01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Kinda low to tow it though..

a flat bed will lift a car sitting on rotors and drums.
it will also do it in undr 10 minutes and all they have to do is paint "repo" on the side of thier truck and no one would do a **** thing.

mt only security measure(and probably the only one i need with my POS) is my shifter.
i bought a B&M console shifter and bent the nuetral saftey switch out some so you have to pull the handle towards your leg before it will start.
not exactly high end security but i thought it was pretty clever:bigwink:

the main thing that's going to keep your car from being stolen........you ready for it???.........luck and timing.
you figure out a way to manipulate those two factors and you'll be 100% safe;)

texan_idiot25
01-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Put it in gear and handbrake. Gear solves front wheels, E-brake solves rear.. Kinda low to tow it though..

A hand brake can be easily un-done. It's just a cable. That method works well for 4x4s though, put the truck in 1st, and put it in 4-lo. If they try to move it, with a normal wrecker, they get to have the fun of an over revved engine.

For automatics, realize that the transmission will release Park, and flip to neutral if enough force is applied. Usually if you drag it above 15mph, the trani flips out of park to prevent damage to itself.

The flat bed sweed, your car isn't that low. My Firebird scraps on every single driveway imaginable, and it came here off a flat-bed. It's pretty much the end-it-all of stealing.

On the CST/10, my whole column shifter can come off. And you can't for that thing out of park even if you tried. Then it's hidden switch. Club, too. Then a few "I love Guns" stickers to show that I'm maybe a little crazy.

The Firebird... not much of a loss... It has a flashy LED in the console from the alarm, my just wire that light back up.

Sweed
01-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I have an idea..

Condom on the Shifter and the handbrake. Steal that!

taiwanesekid05
01-13-2008, 09:47 PM
I have an idea..

Condom on the Shifter and the handbrake. Steal that!

Get some Mayo on the drivers seat an then see what happens.

texan_idiot25
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Plus sweed, even with your steering wheel, we can always do this:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/texan_idiot25/texcrx.jpg

Sweed
01-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Plus sweed, even with your steering wheel, we can always do this:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/texan_idiot25/texcrx.jpg

The car isn't that small... Maybe it is...
But how are you getting it up there?

texan_idiot25
01-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Sweed, the bed of my truck is 8 feet long, and 5.5 feet wide. Purty sure yours will fit. :lol:

How to load? Easy, really long 2 x 12s as ramps. This ain't no Tundra, my bed and tailgate can actually support weight.

Sweed
01-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Sweed, the bed of my truck is 8 feet long, and 5.5 feet wide. Purty sure yours will fit. :lol:

I'm gonna go measure it..

64" x 140" That makes it 5.33ft wide and 11.6ft long. I think.
I'm not sure if that's exact, I was using my brother's retarded help.

texan_idiot25
01-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Ok, I'll have to lower the tail gate, but she'll fit!

Better wring all 80 hp out of it if you see a large, orange, old, Chevy truck behind you in traffic.. and hope there is a tight corner near by.

stang_racer
01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
ya as for the detachable steering wheel whos gonna be carrying a racing wheel with them going hunting for a crx with a detachable race wheel???? and for sitchs just hide them underneath the dash some where. wires to disable alarms make some funky colored wires but then they can follow the wires, ummmm try a trie lock with ur own personal key but i dont think u can buy those lol, other than that... all i can say is hope crx's arnt popular for stealing

taiwanesekid05
01-16-2008, 02:08 AM
You should get a trunk monkey:
http://www.djp3.net/codexperductum/archives/trunkMonkey.jpg

jimmythekid1
01-16-2008, 07:20 AM
check this out http://www.stickdeath.com/2003auto.html

Sweed
01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
check this out http://www.stickdeath.com/2003auto.html

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the trunk monkey.