PDA

View Full Version : Hpi Wk?

Stampedekid
01-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Ok, just wanted to know more from you guys. I asked almost the same question on BYT.

One of the members there found me a good price from a site for 189.95 for the 4WD version RTR with like $15 S&H

Is it durable?
Can you make it BL?
Will 1/10 lipos work?
Does it perform well on snow, dirt, mud, small puddles?
Can you put different brand wheels&tires on it?

More questions to come!

Still have to save up, again. Hopefully, I'll have it sometime around June(My Birthday)

==================

Only answer if you know what you are talking about, if you have experience with hobby-grade RC.

REDisFASTER
01-05-2008, 10:23 PM
You can certainly make it brushless, just find a regular 540-size brushless motor and ESC (you can buy 'em in combos like most Mamba models).

As for durability, they are quite durable, but remember, they're more "toy" R/C than your Stampede. Comparing both of them together, its actually a downgrade. 1:10 LiPos will work as long as they're not bigger than standard 6-cell sub-C packs.

It'll perform well in most conditions, just remember to clean out the bushings/bearings in the end, since they're easily exposed from the live-axle setup.

As for aftermarket wheels/tires, check this out (RWD version):
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/kits/10820/wheelyk_17.jpg

You can swap out the wheel hexes and fit on Maxx-sized hexes and fit Maxx-sized wheels and tires (think wheels and tires that mount on T/E-Maxxes)

Hope that helps... I kinda think I know what I'm talking about ;)

Stampedekid
01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
You can certainly make it brushless, just find a regular 540-size brushless motor and ESC (you can buy 'em in combos like most Mamba models).

As for durability, they are quite durable, but remember, they're more "toy" R/C than your Stampede. Comparing both of them together, its actually a downgrade. 1:10 LiPos will work as long as they're not bigger than standard 6-cell sub-C packs.

It'll perform well in most conditions, just remember to clean out the bushings/bearings in the end, since they're easily exposed from the live-axle setup.

As for aftermarket wheels/tires, check this out (RWD version):
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/kits/10820/wheelyk_17.jpg

You can swap out the wheel hexes and fit on Maxx-sized hexes and fit Maxx-sized wheels and tires (think wheels and tires that mount on T/E-Maxxes)

Hope that helps... I kinda think I know what I'm talking about ;)

Yes I know it is a downgrade from my Nitro Stampede, but when it is BL, it won't be. I am scoring for a 4WD version only because where I live, it tends to get very icy in the winter and only my 4WD XMODs can handle it, but they are a little too small for deeper snow and really slippery ice. I am stepping back from XMODs for a while, getting more into hobby-grade for reals this time. Except my G35 :p. That thing does some sick drifts on ice!:D :bigwink: Lol. I have read lots of good and some bad things about these suckers. Most people convert them into crawlers, but I am a speed freak.

Sweed
01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
The WK is great for trail rigs and crawlers, and that's about it..
If you want a AWD truck for bashing, I would go somewere else, if I were you..
Ask Donzii about his drivability of his Ax.

xmodificationer
01-05-2008, 11:10 PM
yea if you could i would get the Axial, but i have always wanted the WK and still do i would make it a crawler though if i were you. http://hpiracing.com/pitboardt/68/ but since its already 4x4 you wont need the 4x4 stuff.

kungpow420
01-05-2008, 11:10 PM
if you are a speed freak you should go with a indy suspension truck dont get me wrong most solid axles truck are really really strong but they dont do to well when it comes to speed because most have a lot higher cg than indy and that makes them roll a lot when turning but if you get the king you could build a trail rig which i think would be cooler but, that is just what i think.
oh yea and indy trucks handle jumps better.

REDisFASTER
01-05-2008, 11:16 PM
if you are a speed freak you should go with a indy suspension truck dont get me wrong most solid axles truck are really really strong but they dont do to well when it comes to speed because most have a lot higher cg than indy and that makes them roll a lot when turning but if you get the king you could build a trail rig which i think would be cooler but, that is just what i think.
oh yea and indy trucks handle jumps better.

You mean independent suspension, right? I don't think anyone uses indy in form of independent

xmodificationer
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
yea i think he means independent. And wow im loving the Safari browser.

kungpow420
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
well i do because i am lazy.

torredo
01-06-2008, 12:47 AM
theres a better rig then this one?

Axial racing makes a sweet machine if its solid axle your after!
smokes HPI, and i am a vivid HPI finatic so...that says alot!

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10options/AX10.htm

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/ax10options/AX10_files/AX90001-1_thumb.jpg

REDisFASTER
01-06-2008, 02:46 AM
If you can get a hold of a Tamiya TLT-1 chassis (Rock Buster/Max Climber), I would highly recommend it. Its not as crawler-ready as the Axial, but there's a LOT of potential for them. Just about everyone who owns one (excluding me) has turned them into a crawler. The only thing that's needed is longer links and driveshafts (from center to front and center to rear diffs).

Their potential is there, crawler conversion kits are there, and plus, they're getting rare now, so if you can get a hold of a kit, its sweet!

PS. I'm not selling ;)

Donziikid
01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Ok, just wanted to know more from you guys. I asked almost the same question on BYT.

One of the members there found me a good price from a site for 189.95 for the 4WD version RTR with like $15 S&H

Is it durable?
Can you make it BL?
Will 1/10 lipos work?
Does it perform well on snow, dirt, mud, small puddles?
Can you put different brand wheels&tires on it?

More questions to come!

Still have to save up, again. Hopefully, I'll have it sometime around June(My Birthday)

==================

Only answer if you know what you are talking about, if you have experience with hobby-grade RC.

1. Is it durable? Yes, they're pretty durable depending on what you're going to do with them.

2. Can you make it brushless? Do you want brushless for speed or do you want brushless down-geared so you can crawl with it?

3. Yes. They will work.

4. Yes. They work fairly well on un-easy conditions.

5. Yes. I know of a guy who has a nice set of aluminum beadlock tires with Pro-Line Moabs. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Now to get down to the real business:

The HPI Wheely King (4x4) makes a very potential crawler when you want it to come to that. But there are a few things standing in it's way when you want it to be a speed demon or a crawler. It has a VERY high COG and has a VERY high tendancy to flip in high speed turns and when crawling up a sheer-face. The problem with this is because of the way the chassis is set-up.

I have driven my friends HPI Wheely King (4x4 version) many times before and I liked the way it handled when going slow. For being 4x4 it could do just about anything I threw at it that was feesable for it to do. Even brushed (27T motor, very high T for stock) it could do a lot of things you wouldn't think it would be able to do.

Speed of a stock wheely king is not very fast, I'd say about the same speed as a stage two Xmod. And I'm being honest here.

I find the steering servo to be very slow, so you would want to upgrade that. But, it was very strong; so if you wanted to do crawling it would be an OK servo.

As you said before in a few posts you are a speed freak. This is not a speed freaks chassis by any means, and guys; neither is the Axial. ;) Axial is a crawler not a Nitro 4tec. :lol:

Stampedekid
01-06-2008, 07:42 PM
1. Is it durable? Yes, they're pretty durable depending on what you're going to do with them.

2. Can you make it brushless? Do you want brushless for speed or do you want brushless down-geared so you can crawl with it?

3. Yes. They will work.

4. Yes. They work fairly well on un-easy conditions.

5. Yes. I know of a guy who has a nice set of aluminum beadlock tires with Pro-Line Moabs. Beautiful, just beautiful!

Now to get down to the real business:

The HPI Wheely King (4x4) makes a very potential crawler when you want it to come to that. But there are a few things standing in it's way when you want it to be a speed demon or a crawler. It has a VERY high COG and has a VERY high tendancy to flip in high speed turns and when crawling up a sheer-face. The problem with this is because of the way the chassis is set-up.

I have driven my friends HPI Wheely King (4x4 version) many times before and I liked the way it handled when going slow. For being 4x4 it could do just about anything I threw at it that was feesable for it to do. Even brushed (27T motor, very high T for stock) it could do a lot of things you wouldn't think it would be able to do.

Speed of a stock wheely king is not very fast, I'd say about the same speed as a stage two Xmod. And I'm being honest here.

I find the steering servo to be very slow, so you would want to upgrade that. But, it was very strong; so if you wanted to do crawling it would be an OK servo.

As you said before in a few posts you are a speed freak. This is not a speed freaks chassis by any means, and guys; neither is the Axial. ;) Axial is a crawler not a Nitro 4tec. :lol:

Thanks for the info. Maybe a crawler rig I will make it...when and IF I get it. I don't have the patience and time to get an Axial or something that you have to build. That's why I thought of the WK. When and if I get it, I'll see if I like it doing wheelies, or turn it into a crawler so I can use it on snow and on very rough terrain. Maybe it might be time for me to go slower and make it a crawler when I get it. Besides, I already own a nitro.

Donziikid
01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info. Maybe a crawler rig I will make it...when and IF I get it. I don't have the patience and time to get an Axial or something that you have to build. That's why I thought of the WK. When and if I get it, I'll see if I like it doing wheelies, or turn it into a crawler so I can use it on snow and on very rough terrain. Maybe it might be time for me to go slower and make it a crawler when I get it. Besides, I already own a nitro.

There's more pride in an Axial or something you have to build than there is in a RTR. I felt the same way when I opened the box but it's actually time well spent. You learn the ins' and outs' of your RC. You also know everything is built correctly and is in it's proper place. Also, there isn't a better forum out there to help you than RCC (www.rccrawler.com/forum) to get you planted well into this hobby.

If you want a crawler don't go with the HPI Wheely King. They're great axles for a scale build, but they're really heavy and way too top heavy to make a decent crawler. Just my $0.02. :)

Cheers,
Kyle.

Also, the wheelies really aren't that fun.. :lol: Yeah, it can do it over and over again until the batteries dead, but they're just no fun for the 'millionth time. :p

Stampedekid
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
There's more pride in an Axial or something you have to build than there is in a RTR. I felt the same way when I opened the box but it's actually time well spent. You learn the ins' and outs' of your RC. You also know everything is built correctly and is in it's proper place. Also, there isn't a better forum out there to help you than RCC (www.rccrawler.com/forum) to get you planted well into this hobby.

If you want a crawler don't go with the HPI Wheely King. They're great axles for a scale build, but they're really heavy and way too top heavy to make a decent crawler. Just my $0.02. :)

Cheers,
Kyle.

Also, the wheelies really aren't that fun.. :lol: Yeah, it can do it over and over again until the batteries dead, but they're just no fun for the 'millionth time. :p

How much is the Axial? Now that I think about it. I am getting the wheelie bar for my Nitro Stampede tomorrow. It will be my "Wheelie King" now lol. So yeah. You know any good crawlers for $250 or under, or maybe a little over...:lol:

Donziikid
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
How much is the Axial? Now that I think about it. I am getting the wheelie bar for my Nitro Stampede tomorrow. It will be my "Wheelie King" now lol. So yeah. You know any good crawlers for $250 or under, or maybe a little over...:lol:

You're not going to get a good crawler for ~$250. The platform for the Axial AX10 itself is ~$250. Then the electronics ontop of that are another ~$200-300. ;) Crawling is not cheap by any means.

Stampedekid
01-06-2008, 09:38 PM
You're not going to get a good crawler for ~$250. The platform for the Axial AX10 itself is ~$250. Then the electronics ontop of that are another ~$200-300. ;) Crawling is not cheap by any means.

So maybe I'll just get the WK, make it a crawler, and when I get bored of it, sell it and buy a better crawler.

kungpow420
01-06-2008, 10:38 PM
if you are going to make a crawler out of the wheelie king you are going to have to do some custom fabbing unless you wanna spend a lot of money on stuff that is ready to use.Like the stuff you can buy at the crawler store or rc4wd and other places like that.

Stampedekid
01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
if you are going to make a crawler out of the wheelie king you are going to have to do some custom fabbing unless you wanna spend a lot of money on stuff that is ready to use.Like the stuff you can buy at the crawler store or rc4wd and other places like that.

I already found a good site thanks to someone from BYT. Besides, I watched the TUT video on the HPI website on how to make it into a crawler.

torredo
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM

He is right.....Crawling is an expensive hobby, like Nitro is.
but its worth every penny to buy a good crawler that has good articulation and beadlocks w/Moabs are always a bonus.

Donziikid
01-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I already found a good site thanks to someone from BYT. Besides, I watched the TUT video on the HPI website on how to make it into a crawler.

Won't crawl very well. If I remember correctly the axles are not locked on the HPI Wheely King and will just break the lock if you decided to lock them for crawling.

I'm not trying to talk you out of crawling, but you are going to be spending upwards of $500 if you want anything decent to work with. I'm not talking about a competition crawler, just a general crawler basher that you would use in your backyard. They are not cheap.. :cry:

Speaking of crawling; my brushless came in today for the Axial. Sorry to thread jack, need to start a new one since the hackorz.. :roll_eye:

Stampedekid
01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Won't crawl very well. If I remember correctly the axles are not locked on the HPI Wheely King and will just break the lock if you decided to lock them for crawling.

I'm not trying to talk you out of crawling, but you are going to be spending upwards of $500 if you want anything decent to work with. I'm not talking about a competition crawler, just a general crawler basher that you would use in your backyard. They are not cheap.. :cry:

Speaking of crawling; my brushless came in today for the Axial. Sorry to thread jack, need to start a new one since the hackorz.. :roll_eye:

Let's just drop this thread, I might try to build a Micro Crawler, Micro T sized, maybe. I want to save up for a Blackjack Brushless boat and blow away the competition upstate at our boat races. :p.

Laters
Xmodracer1