PDA

View Full Version : XMOD demographics

Team AMG
01-04-2005, 07:42 PM
I've been reading this forum a lot in the last few days, getting some good advice on everything from batteries to aftermarket motors and chassis pieces. One of the things I'm seeing is that the majority of XMOD owners appear to be pre-teen to early 20's, which also follows the scheme of the current "Fast and Furious" street racing theme. The problem with the bottom end of that demographic is that as complex as the XMOD is many of them are getting in over their heads with trying to get too technical. That's sad, because when they get frustrated they lose interest generally.

I've raced slot cars since the Aurora Trackmaster days (1965) and still have some of those early cars still in running condition. I was NORCAL HO slot car champ in 1980 through 1984, then again in 1987. I switched to 1/32 scale cars and was NORCAL champ from 1988 through 1994. I started producing parts for 1/32nd scale cars in 1996 and recently sold most of my business to Parma, a leading slot car and RC car parts producer.

In 1985 I also raced 1/10th scale RC cars on a limited scale, going full scale in 1988. I just recently stopped racing electric and gas cars because of increasing costs and limited places to race in my area, that's the reason I got into XMODS, they can be raced just about anywhere.

I bought 4 XMODS for my nephews for Christmas, one of them was destroyed the first week, it's now a parts car for the other 3 nephews. I got my car Sunday (the 2nd) and after installing ball bearings and other RS mods raced it Sunday night for the first time against other cars. We had 5 races, I won 3 of them and was very close in a 4th. Today (the 4th) I went out and bought another XMOD Corvette, this one will be a stocker to race in a class with my nephews cars.

My nephews and I (and some others) are starting an XMOD Racing League in the central California area, with Fresno being our center point. We have as part of our racers several employees of the local Radio Shack, and hopefully once we get going they'll sponsor some of our races. We have over 200 sq. ft. of RS track and a larger permanent facility being planned for early February, just in time for Daytona. We're planning a 30 minute enduro for the Daytona weekend with 14 cars already interested in running this race, which will consist of 20 minutes lighted and 10 minutes in the dark (lowered lighting) with lights. Pit stops for battery changes and tires will have to be done, adding to the realism of the event.

I'd like to invite all of those with XMOD cars in the central California area to PM me with details for this event. We're still working on entry fees, class rules and things like that, there will be prizes including an XMOD car given away to the event winner. It won't be a one time thing, once the XRL in my area is established we'll have them more often.