PDA

View Full Version : question about nitro hpi cars...

fordman239
01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
ok, i want one real bad, but i have no clue where to get them/how much they cost. can somebody tell me the pros and cons of a nitro, and durability of them? and also, if somebody can tell me what the retail price is for a hpi nitro savage, and what wbsite i can order it off of...

later,
fordman

clintr79
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
The pro with nitro is never change a battery just fuel and keep running but they are more money and of course fuel is not cheap but they are faster and sound great savage rtr 429.99 kit version 365.99 per towerhobbies website

snowboi1289
01-03-2008, 01:08 PM
can you spell INTERNET !!!!
look on ebay,use the search on yahoo.com or google.com..its not hard to find something when you SEARCH !!!!

fordman239
01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
The pro with nitro is never change a battery just fuel and keep running but they are more money and of course fuel is not cheap but they are faster and sound great savage rtr 429.99 kit version 365.99 per towerhobbies website

thanks for that information.

look on ebay,use the search on yahoo.com or google.com..its not hard to find something when you SEARCH !!!!

hey, there was no need for that.

nofear1911
01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
ok my buddy had the on road car and he hit a curb doin like probly about 40 mph half the speed it had in it and busted into pieces and i had a savage and did full bore into a tree not even a crack on it :) cars are fun but not even close to as fun as the trucks also check out the hpi mt2 cheap fast little truck i just got one and love it but it has a O.S. .18 motor on it :D

2wdpancar
01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
ok, i want one real bad, but i have no clue where to get them/how much they cost. can somebody tell me the pros and cons of a nitro, and durability of them? and also, if somebody can tell me what the retail price is for a hpi nitro savage, and what wbsite i can order it off of...

later,
fordman

OK, lets break it down.
You can get them at your local hobby shop, or online.
Check hobbytron.
They run for around 330-400 with all the supplie you need.
Keep in mind you need fuel, glow plugs, glow igniter, batteries, and a lot of patience.
If you are a beginner to nitro, I really would recommend going with electric.
I bought my CEN CT5 for 330, around 500 w/ tax and fuel etc...
I can't get the fuel mixtures right, cause I'm dumb like that.:lol:
Nitro takes a crapload of maintenace, and PATIENCE.
PATIENCE IS KEY!!!!!
If you don't think you can handle tuning the carb, and cleaning everything, then don't buy it.

Here's my story.
I got my cen ct5 last year for 500 bucks, and it was sooo fun.
I drive it once a month, for a little bit.
Nitro makes me mad when I can't get em to start, since my first 1/10th scale r/c was that nitro car.

Now, I just recently ought a team losi XXX RTR II, which is electric. You don't have to worry about starting engines, etc...
It's brushless, costs around the 350 mark. I would sugggest you don't start with nitro, but an hpi electric car. Look into the HPI Sport II, those are 250. They are decent, and HPI makes quality cars.

PROS:
-Sounds cool
-Fun to take apart
-Eh, good drifters..

CONS:
-Maintainance..
-Patience...
-Extra parts that cost a lot after a while...glow plugs AA batts...
-I could go on...:lol:

Really, I enjoy nitro, when I get my car started.:lol:

Really, how did this help him?
He wanted SITES, not suggestions on search engines.
Hobbytron, towerhobbies, pinolehobby(my lhs FTW, its one store), and a lot of other places retail the savage.
People these days...

Make your choice wisely.

fordman239
01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
thanks so much for this information. it helps alot. i think im gonna stick to xmods for a while though, until i get som money.

2wdpancar
01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
thanks so much for this information. it helps alot. i think im gonna stick to xmods for a while though, until i get som money.
Yeah, lol they cost a motherload, but cools down over time:lol: :bigwink:

Stampedekid
01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Let me answer now. I am still new to nitro but not to hobby-grade. I suggest the Traxxas Nitro Stampede as a starter nitro. It's what I got. No reverse though. But no reverse=better driving skills especially if you drive in an open field like me. Then reverse isn't needed. It is a wheelie monster, still waiting for my wheelie bar to arrive at the hobby store. It's not as hard to maintain as everyone says, as long as you do it right. Plus it's tons of fun, gets people's attention, and it has a great sound!

REDisFASTER
01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, lol they cost a motherload, but cools down over time:lol: :bigwink:

+1

For nitro R/C, the initial startup is what costs the most. Later on, once you've acquired everything, it gets less expensive.

For hobby-grade electric, initial startup has a moderate cost, but long-term, it adds up, sometimes, much more than nitro...

Stampedekid
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
+1

For nitro R/C, the initial startup is what costs the most. Later on, once you've acquired everything, it gets less expensive.

For hobby-grade electric, initial startup has a moderate cost, but long-term, it adds up, sometimes, much more than nitro...

Especially since the gears chip faster. The electric motor has to constantly power the vehicle causing gears to chip and break. It is better micro or mini IMO. Sure you could get one of those Brushless Traxxas VXL's. But nitro is more fun with the sound and is more like a real car by using nitro and a real engine. Break-in isn't as hard as everyone says. It is really easy actually. It is annoying but still, it pays off in the end. Plus, electric slows down when the batteries begin to die. Nitro goes to the end running like you just filled it up.

Donziikid
01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
+1

Why do you beleive that, RED?

(Just curious. I personally preffer electric over nitro. But that's because the nitro I've ever owned was planes and the electronic brushless has more power and is easier to handle in planes.) :)

-Donzii.

REDisFASTER
01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Well, for nitro, you buy the kit, the engine, electronics, fuels, maintenance supplies, tools (if you don't already have them), pit box, bearing maintenance supplies etc...

For electric, you buy the kit, motor(s), motor late (to true commutators) electronics (ESC, servo, Tx and Rx), AC/DC charger, discharger, battery matcher, matched cells, building jig, soldering equipment if you don't already have it, pit box, bearing maintenance supplies, etc...

I don't know... Probably from from personal experience... I've been in hobby-grade since 2003/4 and I'm only 1/3 of the way done to having a manageable electric R/C, since I'm still missing quite a bit of maintenance items and proper batteries and battery conditioning devices (preserve your investment, or pay more later?)

I got into nitro earlier last year and I'm about 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way done in having everything I need to do to 'getup-and-go'. I just need a starter box, upgrade my electronics and transmitter, engine, then I'm off to the races!

2wdpancar
01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
For electric, you take your average run-of-the-mill HPI.
It isn't the best for speed, or w/e.
Say you want speed, you go get aluminum parts, and a brushless motor and esc(the killer part):lol:

For nitro, the starter engines that come with the cars have good speed, for let's say HPI/Traxxas/CEN....

Nitro can go fast out of the box, but if it's one of those knock-offs with no name brands, then you are going to have a lonnggg time modding it.
That's what I've observed, as I own both a 1/10th scale nitro and electric r/c car atm.:)

torredo
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
electric = easy as humble pie!
nitro = patience, money and needing to learn/understand to tune!

plus gas, plus plugs , plus, plus, plus...+++++

2wdpancar
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
electric = easy as humble pie!
nitro = patience, money and needing to learn/understand to tune!

plus gas, plus plugs , plus, plus, plus...+++++

Kind of what Red and I mentioned:roll:

torredo
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
you sure did! lmao!

i just simplified if for him.... hehhe

2wdpancar
01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
you sure did! lmao!

i just simplified if for him.... hehhe

O ok, I had the feeling you didn't both reading the posts...
That's cool, basically sums it up.:lol:

stang_racer
01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
ok i think that nitro is better because if u dont understand something its a chance to learn and find out things about ur self ex. patience (sorry if i sound like ur shink sweed, if u dont got one u need one if u doin the things in that tank vid!! jkjkjk rotflmao!!) ok so back to my mini rant nitro is faster, and they fast right outta the box, also mixing fuel math skills lol, breaking in the motor driving skills, my neighbors drive their s around in a circle till the motors broken in, then u can do sweet jumps with nitro because they faster like that vid on youtube with the buggy that jumps the house. also who can forget that amazing sound they make???

clintr79
01-04-2008, 12:05 AM
ok i think that nitro is better because if u dont understand something its a chance to learn and find out things about ur self ex. patience (sorry if i sound like ur shink sweed, if u dont got one u need one if u doin the things in that tank vid!! jkjkjk rotflmao!!) ok so back to my mini rant nitro is faster, and they fast right outta the box, (also mixing fuel )math skills lol, breaking in the motor driving skills, my neighbors drive their s around in a circle till the motors broken in, then u can do sweet jumps with nitro because they faster like that vid on youtube with the buggy that jumps the house. also who can forget that amazing sound they make???

What do you mean mixing fuel that is for the 1/5 scale with a weed wacker motor nitro there is no mixing

2wdpancar
01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
What do you mean mixing fuel that is for the 1/5 scale with a weed wacker motor nitro there is no mixing

He doesn't know wtf he's talking about.
Buddy, for 1/5th scale, mixing oil with gas is the mixture for the GAS ENGINES, not nitro0methane engines:roll:
Lol, what the heck do you think we've been talking about this whole time on nitro fuel, if it was gas, we would've said gas...
I think the only HPI that uses a gas engine in the Baja 5.:lol:

REDisFASTER
01-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Buddy, for 1/5th scale, mixing oil with gas is the mixture for the GAS ENGINES, not nitro0methane engines:roll:
Lol, what the heck do you think we've been talking about this whole time on nitro fuel, if it was gas, we would've said gas...

Wow! Sweet! Someone else who also knows what they're talking about!!!

I think stang_racer is only trying to say that stuff because he probably stuffed his Rustler engine from actually trying to mix 2-stroke oil in with the nitro :p

Anyway, yeah, HPI is the only American-ish company that uses petrol in their large scale R/C (I say American-ish because HPI is also Japanese).

The most prominent company who makes 1/5 large scale R/C is a European company by the name of FG Modellsport. They make the most high-end touring and F1 cars in R/C. Petrol powered, high end models also contain hydraulic disk brakes, while lower end models, usually called Ecoline or Sportsline, use cables/linkages to operate their disk brakes... Oh, and the disk brakes are actually mounted on the steering knuckle and rear uprights! So when the car steers, the disk goes with it!

Small pic, but you get the idea:

http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/medien/fotos-sportsline/sportsline-tuning-05.jpg

2wdpancar
01-04-2008, 02:06 AM
Wow! Sweet! Someone else who also knows what they're talking about!!!

I think stang_racer is only trying to say that stuff because he probably stuffed his Rustler engine from actually trying to mix 2-stroke oil in with the nitro :p

Anyway, yeah, HPI is the only American-ish company that uses petrol in their large scale R/C (I say American-ish because HPI is also Japanese).

The most prominent company who makes 1/5 large scale R/C is a European company by the name of FG Modellsport. They make the most high-end touring and F1 cars in R/C. Petrol powered, high end models also contain hydraulic disk brakes, while lower end models, usually called Ecoline or Sportsline, use cables/linkages to operate their disk brakes... Oh, and the disk brakes are actually mounted on the steering knuckle and rear uprights! So when the car steers, the disk goes with it!

Small pic, but you get the idea:

http://www.fg-modellsport-gmbh.de/medien/fotos-sportsline/sportsline-tuning-05.jpg

I didn't understand what he meant, so I guess I mis-understood what he said.
I hope he didn't try mixing gas in his nitro engine:lol:

torredo
01-04-2008, 02:09 AM
OOOOF!

no doubt! haha

fordman239
01-04-2008, 06:27 AM
thanks for all the comments. i may be getting one, but not for a little while while i try to work and get some money, i just bought a blue nib civic, so thats what i got for now.

clintr79
01-04-2008, 08:25 AM

I do know wtf i am talking about:nod:

REDisFASTER
01-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I do know wtf i am talking about:nod:

I think that was directed to stang_racer :bigwink:

clintr79
01-04-2008, 08:38 AM

My bad i belive your right i just seen my name in the quote and you know sorry blt456

fordman239
01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
my decision...

i have decided to hold off on getting an hpi nitro savage, becuz of price and skill level. right now, i am awaiting the arrival of the newest car to my collection, a blue honda civic. also, i still havent finished upgrading my other 6 xmods with alloy parts, so i need money to do that. and i thank all of you for the pros and cons od a nitro powered rc car, and yes, i saw some videos and they do sound awesome. but im going to stick to xmods for now.

REDisFASTER
01-04-2008, 09:01 AM
my decision...

i have decided to hold off on getting an hpi nitro savage, becuz of price and skill level. right now, i am awaiting the arrival of the newest car to my collection, a blue honda civic. also, i still havent finished upgrading my other 6 xmods with alloy parts, so i need money to do that. and i thank all of you for the pros and cons od a nitro powered rc car, and yes, i saw some videos and they do sound awesome. but im going to stick to xmods for now.

HPI Savages have been very popular. Lots of upgrade parts to choose from (though I would almost always recommend, newcomers to hobby-grade, learn to drive first, and if you're going with nitro, learn to drive and learn to tune your engine and have it started easily, then begin upgrading as your skill increases. No point in spending hundreds of dollars on upgrade parts when you know its going to break the next day, right?)

Be sure to give us an update when you finally get that nitro R/C of yours, there's lots of us here to help you out!

fordman239
01-04-2008, 09:10 AM
wil do, i was also looking at the hpi firestorm nitro, i heard they are cheaper than savages, and they are just as great. i watched a bunch of videos on the hpi site, and i do know how to drive them, its just that i do not know that much about them yet. theres a guy up the road from me with a t-maxx, and he is always driving it. if i need your guy's help i will ask.

later,
fordman

2wdpancar
01-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Lol, ok cool man.:lol:

my decision...

Hey dude, hear me out. I have 3 xmods sitting here, with about half GPM/Hot Racing parts(metal) on each. Ok, not to mention all the upgrades such as batteries, motor, electronics, etc.. I could go on and on. Here's what you should look at:
If you want to upgrade 6 xmods with GPM, it's going to cost you a motherload. To be honest, you'll eventually regret buying all of those parts for the Xmods. Here's why...this might not apply to you..here's another story.
So, I sent my 2 cars(the only ones I had... a gen1 and EVO to mk2kompressor about 6 months ago. He's a busy guy, and he's done almost everything, besides assemble the motors. So, I have here all the upgrades for them, a gen1 w/ Micro-T electronics, and an Almost-working barricade. I spent so much money, but once you go up in the RC Scale "world," it'll cost you, and Xmods can really only drive indoors, and outdoors if it's on smooth concrete, or in malls..etc...
That's my opinion, but triple-think if you want to upgrade all 6 of your xmods, maybe think of upgrading one or 2 if you have the money with lets say external turbos/stacked FETs, HOT motors, and full GPM.
Just a thought.:)

My bad i belive your right i just seen my name in the quote and you know sorry blt456

No prob. dude.:)

fordman239
01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey dude, hear me out. I have 3 xmods sitting here, with about half GPM/Hot Racing parts(metal) on each. Ok, not to mention all the upgrades such as batteries, motor, electronics, etc.. I could go on and on. Here's what you should look at:
If you want to upgrade 6 xmods with GPM, it's going to cost you a motherload. To be honest, you'll eventually regret buying all of those parts for the Xmods. Here's why...this might not apply to you..here's another story.
So, I sent my 2 cars(the only ones I had... a gen1 and EVO to mk2kompressor about 6 months ago. He's a busy guy, and he's done almost everything, besides assemble the motors. So, I have here all the upgrades for them, a gen1 w/ Micro-T electronics, and an Almost-working barricade. I spent so much money, but once you go up in the RC Scale "world," it'll cost you, and Xmods can really only drive indoors, and outdoors if it's on smooth concrete, or in malls..etc...
That's my opinion, but triple-think if you want to upgrade all 6 of your xmods, maybe think of upgrading one or 2 if you have the money with lets say external turbos/stacked FETs, HOT motors, and full GPM.
Just a thought.:)
well, i was just going to get my new blue civic upgraded, with lith, gpm, and a motor, but i want to sell, all my other ones except my 65 mustang and my new blue civic. i spend like 200 dollars finding parts for my 65 the carbon chassis, the awd, the s2 motor upgrade, and i love that car.it has like 200 in it, and the parts were the cheapest i could find. i am thinking about getting an hpi firestorm nitro, but im not sure yet.

later,
fordman

REDisFASTER
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Firestorm... You'll regret spending as much as you do on XMODS... I know that I kinda regret spending that kind of cash on XMODS 'back in the day' ;)

The Firestorm has a great fan backing... Fordman, PM me

2wdpancar
01-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Firestorm... You'll regret spending as much as you do on XMODS... I know that I kinda regret spending that kind of cash on XMODS 'back in the day' ;)

The Firestorm has a great fan backing... Fordman, PM me

Red, I guess I'm in your position now.
See fordman, no matter what, they are still toys, till you do a hobby-grade conversion..
But really, good choice for shooting at 2-3 cars, and selling the rest.:)
You won't regret that man.:lol:

fordman239
01-04-2008, 11:40 AM
im thinkin about selling all 3 of my trucks and selling both my evo cars, and keeping my 2 gen 1's.

2wdpancar
01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
im thinkin about selling all 3 of my trucks and selling both my evo cars, and keeping my 2 gen 1's.

You might want to keep an EVO man, but don't upgrade it.
Make it like a house driver/basher or something, maybe a drifter.
Saee, kepp the gen1's for sure, and keep an EVO, so you can have it.
That way if you go back and sell it, then you all of a sudden want one, good luck buying one man. They cost 50+, so I would recommend keeping one.:)

REDisFASTER
01-04-2008, 11:47 AM
That way if you go back and sell it, then you all of a sudden want one, good luck buying one man. They cost 50+, so I would recommend keeping one.:)

+1 Don't put all your eggs in one basket. When you try nitro, you may either like it or hate it. You'll never know for sure until you're at that stage and begin to regret it.

torredo
01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Buddy, for 1/5th scale, mixing oil with gas is the mixture for the GAS ENGINES, not nitro0methane engines
I think the only HPI that uses a gas engine in the Baja 5

Actually....
the Baja 5 uses a mixture as there is no real cooling system on it, so an oil/fuel mixture is needed to lubricate the internals.

2wdpancar
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Actually....
the Baja 5 uses a mixture as there is no real cooling system on it, so an oil/fuel mixture is needed to lubricate the internals.

:blush:
Whoops, my understanding was that it used a fuel mixture.
My bad dude.:lol:

fordman239
01-04-2008, 01:51 PM
well, i probably will kepp it, and put my 350z body on it for drifting. thats what i wanted to do in the first place, but one of my evos has metal bearings, wheel nuts, and alloy front knuckles, arms, and axle stubs.

2wdpancar
01-04-2008, 02:07 PM
well, i probably will kepp it, and put my 350z body on it for drifting. thats what i wanted to do in the first place, but one of my evos has metal bearings, wheel nuts, and alloy front knuckles, arms, and axle stubs.

Yeah, you should keep that one and probably sell the others for your first upgrades, or money for supplies.:)

fordman239
01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
yeah, my cars are pretty good.

Sweed
01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
(Just curious. I personally preffer electric over nitro. But that's because the nitro I've ever owned was planes and the electronic brushless has more power and is easier to handle in planes.) :)

I prefer electric as well, but maybe that's cuase I only had a 3.3? :lol:
BTW, anyone wanna by a Revo 3.3? It's FS..

Save your money and buy a 1:1 Car. Much more useful, needs less maintnence, and it's cheaper!

EDIT:
Just make sure you get one with a stick/manual gearbox. Auto is boring!

REDisFASTER
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I prefer electric as well, but maybe that's cuase I only had a 3.3? :lol:
BTW, anyone wanna by a Revo 3.3? It's FS..

Save your money and buy a 1:1 Car. Much more useful, needs less maintnence, and it's cheaper!

EDIT:
Just make sure you get one with a stick/manual gearbox. Auto is boring!

And if you're stuck in traffic, suck it up! ;)

As per the Revo 3.3, pics and what's your asking price? (If I can afford it <-- haha, then I've got dibs on it ;))

Sweed
01-04-2008, 05:21 PM
And if you're stuck in traffic, suck it up! ;)

As per the Revo 3.3, pics and what's your asking price? (If I can afford it <-- haha, then I've got dibs on it ;))

Traffic? Who needs traffic?

I'm not sure. I'm not sure if I want to sell it, but I'll make a thread when I get time. Need to go drill holes in the rex. :lol: