PDA

View Full Version : body drop

5.0saleen
01-04-2005, 04:34 AM
How Would you perform a body drop on the mustang cobra? Lowering suspension will screw up the performance, so i want to drop the body down to about a 1 mm ride height.

Kujo
01-04-2005, 04:52 AM
That would more then likely require unscrewing the stock rear clip, then shaving the bit of plastic it screws into. As well as cutting the front clip somewhere above where the front piece clips into, shaving it, then glue it back together.

viperdout
01-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I lowered mine in front by 1.5 mm with 0 rubbing problems. You can either cut off th front of the tab, then re-glue it lower, or you can flip the clip upside down. I have a cf chassis with a top plate, so I just cut the top plate so the it'd go around the clip. IMO, the stang is way too high stock.

Kujo
01-04-2005, 05:24 PM
or you can flip the clip upside down.

Flip what clip upside-down?

Doing so on the front clip of the chassis, the front suspension wont work. Doing so on the rear clip of the body, you wont be able to hold the rear of the body to the chassis snug.

:-? :-?

5.0saleen
01-05-2005, 02:49 AM
is it going to rub at all if i bring it down, I mean 1 millimetre from the ground is pretty **** low, I dont know if the tires will rub inside the body or not.

Kujo
01-05-2005, 05:10 AM
My skyline sits about 2 1/2 mm. from the ground with the RS bodykit on it and I havent had any troubles with tire rub using the stock rims/tires. Its never bottomed out on me using the spring/shock upgrade with the stiff suspension installed.

Not too sure about 1mm. tho.

You shouldnt have any trouble using most of the wheels/tires from RS, but I'll bet you'd have a rubbing problem if you tried to use the foam racing tires. You would definetly have to use a pretty stiff suspension setup as well, to keep from bottoming out on bumps.

SPARCO350z
01-05-2005, 03:51 PM
i did a body drop...lol...i put the body on and it was sitting high..and i got mad at the stupid thing and hit it and then i heard "crack" and then the body was perfect...you just have to use some force...

SPARCO350z
01-05-2005, 03:52 PM
i took it off also...and then put it back on and it was once again high..so i hit it...perfect..

viperdout
01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
My skyline sits about 2 1/2 mm. from the ground with the RS bodykit on it and I havent had any troubles with tire rub using the stock rims/tires. Its never bottomed out on me using the spring/shock upgrade with the stiff suspension installed.

Not too sure about 1mm. tho.

You shouldnt have any trouble using most of the wheels/tires from RS, but I'll bet you'd have a rubbing problem if you tried to use the foam racing tires. You would definetly have to use a pretty stiff suspension setup as well, to keep from bottoming out on bumps.

I don't like this way, but here's a pic of it done:

http://tinypic.com/yfgww

Kujo
01-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Yowza :o No suspension. :lol:

I tried a different way, but it resulted in the same thing: Loss of suspension.

http://www.hookedonbooze.com/xmod/ridebefore.jpg
Heres my car sitting at stock ride-height. The bodykit does make the car look lowered as it is. Its about 2-3 mm. of clearence.

http://www.hookedonbooze.com/xmod/washers.jpg
Note the washers at the bottom of the steering knuckle. As you can see from the springs, there is little to no travel at all

http://www.hookedonbooze.com/xmod/rideafter.jpg
You can clearly see the difference in height now. Though the bumper does touch the ground. I used 3 washers, but I think with 2, there would be some clearance.

This method works for the front of the car, but not for the rear. I haven't figured out an alternate way to do that yet. :-? And with lowering the rear, a custiom camber kit would need to be fabricated so that the wheels do not stick out to the sides. :lol: (Real-life Honda Preludes have this problem as well) I may just need to take a look at a camber kit for them :wink:

Its just like in a real-life car. The lower the car, the stiffer (not to mention stronger) the suspension needs to be in order to prevent bottoming out. There are some performance gains with lowering a car, but I think in this case the scale may just be too small for it to apply. Unless, of course; the surface you're racing on is really smooth.

Looks good for show tho :bigwink:

livestrong350z
01-05-2005, 08:55 PM
just make a front clip to the height that u want it at :D

viperdout
01-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Lowering the rear is actually easier, because you drop on the body, not the frame. Unscrew the rear mount, sand it down or cut a little off with a cutting disk on a dremel, and bolt it back on. All done. I wish that RS would somehow design some kind of lowering kit.

5.0saleen
01-06-2005, 02:00 AM
the rear i know i wont have difficultites with, but with the front im trying to think of a way for the clip to work. Also with teh cobra body, how are the wheels going to fit if its taht low, will they work without rubbing, everything else I can take care of easily, I just dont have teh body yet and I want to know before i get it shipped in.

viperdout
01-06-2005, 02:57 PM
the rear i know i wont have difficultites with, but with the front im trying to think of a way for the clip to work. Also with teh cobra body, how are the wheels going to fit if its taht low, will they work without rubbing, everything else I can take care of easily, I just dont have teh body yet and I want to know before i get it shipped in.

I dropped mine and it still doesn't rub, so I guess it'll work fine.