PDA

View Full Version : Keep it or Sell it

Spoon_Tuner
10-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a big burden on my hands.

A year and half ago I purchased with my own money a 1990 Acura Integra GS 4 door. This was my first car that I bought ( none of my parents help at all except getting me to the place to buy it ) its also the first car in my name.
I loved this car with a passion a real passion. I would find excuses to drive it and I would drive it hard.

I got in wreck and the car hasnt been the same since then. I was nudged by a 18 wheeler into a Ford Explorer which made me side swipe it. My car was knocked out of alignment, the two front fender were messed up meaning I need to get new ones and messed up front rims. Now the driver door window wont roll up so I rigged it up to stay up all the time.

I have two thoughts on my mind right now. Should I keep it fix and just work until I can get some money saved up once again and buy another. Or sell it as is no repairs or anything and just get what I can get for it...

When I see it now, I look at it and just see a disaster and I dont know if I can put my faith into that car to get me from my point a b and c.

I have other means of transportation, my mom and my dad can take me to work if its nessecary and to school but I am really kind of too old for them to depend on them for that Im 20 years old for christ sake!

I just dont know what I need to do, I have been through alot these last few years and its crazy because it seems like the world is out there to ruin my future.

Give me some of your opinions and advice. I want to know what some you people would do in my shoes! Thanks!

SoCalGaming
10-24-2007, 09:09 PM
pics?

monsterhunter
10-24-2007, 09:25 PM
well if you really like the car a lot then keep it and fix it up as you get the money but like if you don't like the car anymore then try to get what you can get from it.

live4luck14
10-24-2007, 10:19 PM
dude for the time and money it would take you to fix it you would just be better off working to buy a new car. one that you will have the same passion and love for.

tommygreen23
10-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Since its so old, you probably wont be able to get much for it, especially with it all messed up the way it is. I would sell it, probably for scrap (you can get around 200-250 a car) and put it towards a newer one. What engine does it have? If it has a bigger one then you might be able to sell it off to some civic somewhere and get more money from it. The thing I would be worried about is that it is old, and its gonna start having more problems soon. Since its nothing rare and not worth putting money into I would just count it as a loss and move on.

If the truck nudged you shouldn't his insurance be paying for your car?

If its driving alright for now I would just drive it till it gave up completely then take it in for scrap.

I had an old 77' Monte Carlo a while back before I got my license. I picked it up for free and I was bound and determined to get it running. I started rebuilding the carburetor and redoing some wiring but then I decided it was too much work and money for something not really worth it. You should of seen the holes in the deck lid and trunk from rust! I really liked that car, but when your 13 with no job you really cant afford to restore a car :lol:

I still have the hood ornament though :)

snowboi1289
10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
im in the same situation with my first car,a 1992 GEO storm,but i might keep it and work on it,i have a car i have another car i drive so i dont drive the GEO(its a sitter)

supraboi97
10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
I agree if you like the car enough you will keep it but if you don't think it is worth it since its damaged and all but i can see how that would be a difficult decision

secspyral
10-25-2007, 12:35 AM
keep it. if money gets tight you do what you have to do. but i will never sell my eclipse because of how attached i am to it, like you are with yours. Even if it was totaled, that eclipse will be with me forever and when i get the money to make it into my dream car thats what ill do.

REDisFASTER
10-25-2007, 12:54 AM
dude for the time and money it would take you to fix it you would just be better off working to buy a new car. one that you will have the same passion and love for.

Sounds as if you've never owned a car and wrenched on it...

IMO, I think you should fix it up... I made the mistake of letting my first car go, and I feel like a total idiot for doing so.

Sure it might cost a lot, but it just won't be the same, even if you purchased an exact similar one.

I'd keep it. I can assure you, that if you get rid of it, a few weeks later, you're going to regret that decision.

My first car was a 1991 Nissan Stanza XE. Sure it didn't look fancy or anything, but it hauled *** and looked (IMO) aggressive while doing it. Everyone I know, even those who previously owned one all think they look like junk. Everytime I see one on the road, I always take a second look.

If I had the option of $1,000,000 or have my car back, I'd take my car. So what if you can purchase 700 more Stanzas, none of them will be the same as the original. Whats worse is that its the car that I learned to drive in. Its also the first car I drove around with a bunch of my buddies (I prefer to drive my car than somebody else's). A lot of memories made. None replaceable.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Keep it. If you need another car, save up for it. If you do sell your car, I guarantee, you will regret it one day...

THE EDJ
10-25-2007, 01:33 AM
i had a kinda similar experience this summer. I blew my engine and couldn't drive the car, and I needed a vehicle, I couldn't leave the car in a shop for a couple weeks while a swap was being done because like you, I got things I need to do, and need a vehicle to do them. Ended up buying a used car and I'm still driving that now, and I finally sold the old car it's getting picked up this weekend.

xmodsnut
10-25-2007, 01:59 AM
ah my old blue 85 ranger with a slug hole in the side passenger door:D . I only drove it for about a year until my parent traded it on a 95 ranger that I only had for a month, it found a tree:lol: then I got an 85 Trans Am with 305 V8. I wish I had kept that car instead of selling it but at the time I just purchased a new Focus ZX5. Now I am finally souping it up until I get my dream car an 09 shelby mustang or just a regular GT.:bigwink:

texan_idiot25
10-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Yeh, bull. There is no 2nd love like your 1st love when it comes to cars, especially if its something you have put your own bood, cash, and time into.

Keep it, if you can. Buy a junker as a parts car, and swap what you need to yours. Honestly, if the structure isnt damaged, and its worth enough personally to get it going, why sell it? Not like you'll get much for it in it's current state.

jimmythekid1
10-25-2007, 07:50 AM
If the car is out of alignment somethings are going to be bent be it suspension, frame or sub frame damage. I personally doubt you could fix it to like it was for a reasonable price. It sound like your a college student that works so do you really have the time to repair this thing?

All in all its just a car your young you will have lots of cars over the next 60 years or so. You will always remeber your first car but I think now is a good time to move on.

Spoon_Tuner
10-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I did have another truck before I got this car...

I had a 1985 Chevy Silverado long bed with a 350 small block motor, with 88,000! miles on it! it was the orginal Chevy Baby Blue. I could always depend on that truck no matter what if it was hot or even if it got cold that Hoss would start. But in the end it had problems of its own, a camshaft that was worn and I would keep taking it to get inspected and it just wouldnt pass, the guys that worked on that truck said the camshaft was worn out probably causing the emissions not to pass. Back then I had absolutely no job what so ever so I had to sell it, I let it go for $1000.

Now I am the one who misses that truck the most. I could depend on that truck any time. Didnt get great gas mileage. But when you have something like that it really doesnt matter does it? Because your having fun and thats what teens do is have fun.

Now with this car, I am going to miss it too because like I said its the first car that I BOUGHT AND THE TITLE IS IN MY HANDS AND THE REGISTRATION.
If you ask me thats another big step into getting older. A real big one.
I had alot of fun times in it also, my first time hitting 120 on a highway, first time to get a ticket my first time to pull a sleep over in the car or the first time I got into an accident. You always remember that stuff. The work I have done to it even though it was a pain in my *** to lean over or crouch down and get extremely messy and ruin a few pairs of clothes it was completelly worth it because now I can take that knowledge and maybe do it again, with out saying well I have no idea how to do that.

Most kids it seems like they dont even know how to change their **** oil or change their spark plugs...

I have a place that I can store the car but that would be up to my dad and his brother because putting it there at that place would be adding to the vast collection of things we have there.

I have other means of transportation also, but thats going to be going away for awhile also. My brother a year ago had Maligent Melanomia Stage 4 the worst you can get. The medical bills have drained all of his money. He had a car that was lended now his Papa wants it back, leaving him with nothing to get to his new job. So the other means is going to go to him, I dont know how long.
But thats my brother, your suppose to help family and protect those people no matter what. I am willing to sacrifice what I want to do for him to get where he needs to be in life.

Hahaha this pretty much describes my whole life right at the moment, sorry for venting
hahahaha
:eyecraz:

Surgeon
10-25-2007, 10:53 AM
I see your issue, I think you should sell it. If it at least runs you should be able to get 1500 for it. I had a civic that I decided to keep and fix up, and it was very nice; the problem is the more custom you go the more likely it will be stolen and stripped. (this happens a lot more frequently than should in Texas). Insurance won't cover all that work, sweat, blood, and money that you put into it.

I would save up and buy a car you are more satisfied with as is, and you can always get a garage car if you need something to wrench on.

Sweed
10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
What motor is in it? If you have the B18C (unlikely), or the motor is in good condition, you can probably get quite a bit for the motor. IF you decide to sell it, let it sit and see how much you can get for it. I would then see how much you can get for the motor and parts on the car. It would take some extra effort, but it can payoff.

Spoon_Tuner
10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I'll put a sign on it this week and see if I have any offers...
I have a b16a1 motor in it that has 206 almost 207,000 miles on it and its not in tip top shape but it runs. I bet if I put it in a spot off a road near a construction site or a busy throughaffair I bet some would buy it or just put on Craigslist and say in the needs a little TLC.