PDA

View Full Version : Vette - Finally Done!

tommygreen23
10-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I finally finished my corvette body, Probably took me so long because so much other stuff kept braking. I like it, but my model kit was missing the decals so until I can go get some its gonna have to do without. There is one problem though and that is the fact that the model kit tires have absolutely no traction at all! I just sit and spin in circles no matter where the throttle is. But then again not too many tires do get traction when your running liths :p

Well there done uploading, here hey are!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/tommygreen23/DSC00246.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/tommygreen23/DSC00247.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/tommygreen23/DSC00248.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/tommygreen23/DSC00249.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/tommygreen23/DSC00250.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/tommygreen23/DSC00251.jpg

and the new lith setup, Just did this today while waiting for some JB Kwick to dry. If the batteries are rated properly there is 1000mAh of power there (2s2p)

and that setup cost about 20 bucks total 10 for the charger, 8 for the batts, and 2 for the holders.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/tommygreen23/DSC00252.jpg

Well, what do you guys think?

noturday
10-17-2007, 08:10 PM
nice job man, clean model body conversion and deffinately a nice choice. the 6 lights up front and 4 out back are a sweet detail. i might have gone with a different color, but overall its pretty nice. doesnt look like it has the headlight covers on though, and it needs bigger rims (but for the love of God don't put slammed rims on it, make some custom ones)

monsterhunter
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
**** nice job that looks sick.!

BlackSky909
10-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Try body dropping it a little.

kungpow420
10-17-2007, 09:49 PM
where did you get those batteries I would love to run liths and that seems pretty cheap and nice job on the vette

bondo
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
where did you get those batteries I would love to run liths and that seems pretty cheap and nice job on the vette

it's only cheaper by a couple of dollars per cell, you still have to buy the smart charger and 4 cells instead of 2. the best reason for buyin AAA is you dont have to get an aftermarket chassis.

good lookin' vette bro.
your always going to get hard assed tires with the model kits.
depending on the size of the model tires, you might be able to slip an xmod tire over them for driving.

cheers,
Bondo

Stampedekid
10-17-2007, 10:04 PM
nice choice of color and model of vette! i like the black chassis too!

123Vette
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
holy**** dude that looks lidentical to my uncles old vette so i love it

texan_idiot25
10-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Looks great, Id lower the front a bit, but if this body is anything like the models they sell, the chassis hit at the cowl.

Twin_Turbo
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
So if you get AAA Lith's you can just insert them into the regular battery tray holder?? NICE job on the vette by the way. Looks amazing.

snowboi1289
10-18-2007, 12:44 PM
looks realy nice,the paint looks real nice to... have u thought about chrome handles(some kinda mirror tape,forgot wat it was called)

Modster93
10-18-2007, 03:16 PM
nice job i like the paint colour. right on

tommygreen23
10-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Twin-Turbo - You cant just put 4 AAA sized lith batteries in the stock tray because the stock tray is wired for series. If you just put them in you would have 3.6v+3.6+3.6+3.6= 14.4 volts to the board which is bAAAd! If you want to have the option of switching between liths and regular ole 1.5v aaa then you can keep the stock tray and put only 2 lith AAA batteries in and use spacers for the other two (you can buy fake AAA batteries or use some completely dead ones) and then you only have 3.6+3.6=7.2 volts but the disadvantage to this is that the lith batteries are rated at 500mAh and 2 in series would only be 500mAh, That isn't too much runtime, they will die fast. To use 4 you either have to mod the stock battery tray for 2s2p (2 series 2 parallel) or get 2 AAA holders (which is what I did) then you have the benefit of lithium batteries running at 7.2v and since they are in parallel you have 500+500=1000mAh of runtime which is equivalent to the best AAA rechargeable batteries out right now. However if you want to run just 2 liths in the stock tray you will have to solder a bubble on 2 of the negative terminals in the tray because the lith AAAs are a little different and wont contact the negative posts in the stock tray.

I think I can write a tutorial about this swap, if there isn't one already...

Bad news about my only remaining xmod and the corvette body I JUST finished. I was running it on the linoleum floor in my bathroom when the radio went out for a second for some reason. I was going as fast as I can in my bathroom and the car corrected itself for straight steering like its supposed to when you first turn it on but unfortunately that was straight towards a wall. It hit the wall hard at a pretty steep angle which cracked the body and broke the front knuckle that I filed with JB quik even more so than it already was. I'm trying to fix it now but it doesn't look too good. Whats worse is the mirror broke off and I've got no stud left to make sure its straight and the outermost taillight went out too for some reason. That really sucks because I encased all the wiring in JB quick which if you haven't used it its like a puddle of solid steel when it hardens. So basically I can't get to the wire to fix it. Also the headlight cover that I just put in because I forgot to earlier till noturday reminded me is helplessly scuffed. Sad as it is I think I'm just gonna ditch this body and move on. If anything ill just pick up another one later. Besides now I know all the problems I had this first time so I wont make them again the second time.

On a small side note, does anyone have alloy knuckles? They seem like the weakest component on the whole ****ed car. I was looking at some on atomicmods and they say in the Q&A

Will the stock knuckle covers fit the Billet Knuckles?
No they will not. GPM has provided 3 screws that go into the edge of the Knuckle and hold the bearing and axle into the knuckle. It's actually a pretty ingenious design. Props to GPM.

Does that mean I have to buy new bearings too?
Also before I buy any alloy parts is there a place that sells a complete alloy kit? I mean a conversion from every plastic piece to alloy?

Thanks everyone!
Tommy

bondo
10-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Will the stock knuckle covers fit the Billet Knuckles?
No they will not. GPM has provided 3 screws that go into the edge of the Knuckle and hold the bearing and axle into the knuckle. It's actually a pretty ingenious design. Props to GPM.

Does that mean I have to buy new bearings too?
Also before I buy any alloy parts is there a place that sells a complete alloy kit? I mean a conversion from every plastic piece to alloy?

Thanks everyone!
Tommy

i have a complete set of four but not a **** one has screws....that's just the way they came. they came in a parts lot so i guess you take what you get huh??
if you need them then hit me up, you can get the screw sets from atomic for pretty cheap.

there is no complete alloy kit.
not every piece is made in alloy.
no you dont have to buy bearings(they help alot though). the knuckles will work with the plastic bushings but not the chrome disk brake covers.

Twin_Turbo
10-18-2007, 07:15 PM
thanks for telling me that btw. I guess i wont put liths in the battery tray.

live4luck14
10-18-2007, 08:03 PM
looks like the new z06 really nice color aswell. love it dude really god job.

civicdude95
03-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Nice job i like the yellow paint job yea it does look like the new z06

REDisFASTER
03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Old thread... Learn to read timestamps...