PDA

View Full Version : airbrush Q

tayyab
09-29-2007, 01:44 PM
i wanted to by an airbrush but dont know which to buy, any help?
there are so many diffrent kinds, im confused.
i know some of u have airbrushes, bondo, REDisFASTER, redkrt
how about some help?

Donziikid
09-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I use Paasche. I love the thing to death, until the rocker seats spring came loose and I had to tear the thing apart. Fix is easy, but it's just really tedius work.

If you plan on getting into Airbrushing I suggest you have a good wad of money set up for it. Takes a lot of paint, practice, and time to get everything down pact.

I belive Bondo uses Paasche too.

redrkt
09-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I also use a paasche, the only thing wrong with mine after almost 10 years is the trigger button came off, so now is only the post sticking up and after a while it starts to be bothersome on my finger but no bid deal.
Easy to clean, and easy to use.

I also have one that was made for NAPA about 20 years ago which is a single action brush that I use for general purpose spraying.

the cheap ones from Walmart and the like are ok to begin with for general usage but for doing detail work I would not use them, the canned propellant needs to be kept warm for you to get any kind of consistant spraying out of it.
the cans get cold and then you get a lot of moisture out of them( I use them for cleaning my computer stuff)
Like Donzi said be prepared to spend some money if you want a good one.
I have a Workforce 2 gal air compressor that I use with mine now.
Air Compressor: $90
Air Brush: $150
extra paint jars: $60 (for 40 of them)
total investment over 10 years: $300
time spent using this setup: probably close to 5000 hours
number of custom paintjobs done: close to 6000
(that is counting my custom Hot Wheels and xmods and all the models and real cars I have worked on)

bondo
10-02-2007, 01:18 PM
yup, i use a paasche VL double action.
if your going to pay a few bucks then whatever you get should be a double action.
single is fine but after a bit your going to want a double so might as well just bite the bullet and get it over with.

best bet for air supply is a tank type compressor.
you can find a cheapo that will serve your purposes just make sure it has a pressure regulator or you can buy an inline regulator.
you should also invest in an inline dryer if you use a tank compressor.
when air is compressed it condenses and will blow water through your line wich can ruin a perfect paintjob

the propellant cans are crap even if you keep them warm and there isnt much point in paying for air.

airbrush compressors are ok but you get pulsations with them and the pressure regulator can be off as much as 5LBs either way.

RDKRT, take a 2mm nut from ratshack and screw it on your trigger.
it isnt as much surface as the button but it will deffinately feel better then the post.

cheers,
Bondo

tayyab
10-02-2007, 01:54 PM
thanks for the help

where can i get this stuff? can u plz give me some links?
oh and i have been saving up for almost a year now for an airbrush
let me get this straight:
i should get the paasche VL double action? how much i it for? where can i get it?
i need a compressor, exactly how much is a tank type one for and how much is an air one for?
what exactly is an inline dryer?
which paints do i use with my airbrush? should i buy enamel paints from the market and just use them in my airbrush? or are there special ones?if so where can i get them and how much do they cost?

bondo
10-03-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks for the help

where can i get this stuff? can u plz give me some links?
oh and i have been saving up for almost a year now for an airbrush
let me get this straight:
i should get the paasche VL double action? how much i it for? where can i get it?
i need a compressor, exactly how much is a tank type one for and how much is an air one for?
what exactly is an inline dryer?
which paints do i use with my airbrush? should i buy enamel paints from the market and just use them in my airbrush? or are there special ones?if so where can i get them and how much do they cost?

check ebay for the AB but i would buy the compressor locally if you can.
the shipping on a 2gal. compressor would be insane.
i have a craftsman(sears brand) 2 Gal. compressor that i paid $75.00 for two years ago and an AB compressor is going to run right around the same price.

the brand of AB you choose is up to you but the VL is deffinately worth the money, i bought mine for $120.00
if you want to go all out, you could buy an iwata($200.00-$700.00) but paasche or Badger is great for beginners.

an in-line dryer is about the size of a roll of quarters and air passes through a filter of sorts.
the "filter" removes any moisture from the lines and traps it in the dryer.

for the paint, i have a great lil' write up on my personal favorites.
enamel or acrylics......the choice is yours.

http://www.xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50

cheers,
Bondo

REDisFASTER
10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS (or for short, the Eclipse CS). Its a gravity-fed dual action airbrush (you can control the air and the paint flow, as opposed to others where its just air).

I purchased mine for $169CAD. Its one of the more popular airbrushes for those who are in static scale modeling. It has a convenient-sized paint cup (not too big, but its not too small, either), easy to use, easy to maintain, and for only $170 (you can get them at $120 at some places, but I needed it badly and couldn't afford to look around more), you can get a professional airbrush without spending a fortune.

Of course, you need an air source. For me, I have a 26 gallon (or larger, can't remember), vertical air compressor and 2 complete service units, one for lubricated tools, one for dry tools. For everyday stuff, you can get away with a 5+ gallon air compressor, but it'll be pressurizing pretty frequently compared to a larger capacity one. Make sure you get a nice regulator and a moisture trap and air filter to prevent water or anything in the tank from getting into your air line.

f250
10-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I got a Paasche single action and an airbrush compressor off of ebay for like nothing. Works pretty sweet for what I use it for.