PDA

View Full Version : The SSC Ultimate Aero takes the 255.83 mph cookie

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.supercarstats.com/cars/ssc/ultimate_aero/1.jpg

Whats this?? A twin turbo C5R powered 'murikan super car takes the worlds fastest title away from bugatti. :p

WEST RICHLAND, WA (SEPT 13, 2007) - Shelby Supercars (SSC), manufacturer of the ultra high-performance Ultimate Aero Twin Turbo, set the new "World's Fastest Production Car" record earlier today with an average top speed of 255.83 mph. Confident of the 1183 hp vehicle's abilities, SSC set out to validate their top speed claim in accordance with the strict guidelines set by Guinness World Records. Among other requirements, in order to meet Guinness' approval, a vehicle testing for the top speed record (http://jalopnik.com/cars/speed-record/) must race down the course, turn around, and make a second pass in the opposite direction within one hour.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/breaking-news/first-chunk-of-sscs-world-record-press-release-299758.php

noturday
09-14-2007, 04:12 PM
gotta love 'murican muscle with twin turbos :D and the bugatti top speed was unofficial, this is official, and it really did 257mph haha, i knew V8's were the best. theres a reason for that

Sweed
09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
gotta love 'murican muscle with twin turbos :D and the bugatti top speed was unofficial, this is official, and it really did 257mph haha, i knew V8's were the best. theres a reason for that

So it beat the VW Veyron by 3 mph, and the Veyron only beat the Koenigsegg CCX be 2 mph? Still, second and third place are just a few mph behind...

It looks like a Koenigsegg CCR on Saleen S7 child...

But it's still american. And people will always take the european cars, cuase they're european. We've been in the race longer.. (Weren't cars from Germany, the otto-engine?)

EDIT: But is it a production car like the Veyron and the CCX?

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Sweed, what does: "World's Fastest Production Car" imply? :lol:

People will buy what ever has the biggest balls. Even if the car never is truelly opened up. Why else did bugatti sell the Vyron so quick? 1001HP, 4 turbos, and all its gadgets. But, it is back to a very simple super-car formula, unlike the overkill Bugatti. This car will have its sprint until the next car comes along. I dont see your point in that it beat the last record by a few MPH, thats how the record has been broken for quite some time, one guy edging past the other.

Just remember, your Koenigsegg was powered by a ford motor for a long time :eyecraz:

mustanglover
09-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Just remember, your Koenigsegg was powered by a ford motor for a long time :eyecraz:

NICE

Stampedekid
09-14-2007, 04:37 PM
hey tex, youre back! has it been released for sale yet?

Sweed
09-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Was.

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 04:47 PM
And still is ford-based if I remember right too. :p

Yeh, this car has been on sale for quite some time, about a year ago. Just yesterday did it make it's high speed run.

Uses a Twin Turbo C5R Corvette race motor. That car has killed in the 24 Hour Le Mans, so you cant argue its not a strong or reliable motor. Especially when the C5R finished 1st and 2nd in it's class a time or two

TheB1GDude
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Thats pretty sick dude!!

I thought the Bugatti would remain unbeaten for at least a few years but I guess not....

THE EDJ
09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm curious as to whats inside the cabin as far as ammenities go. the veyron is just as much a luxury car as it is a supercar. if this car is built like a street legal race car (ie no extras like ac, power steering, stereo, etc...) then it's feat seems slightly less spectacular compared to the bugatti's.

personally... i like the bugatti, it just oozes class and sophistication and it can outrun just about any "stock" car ever created. Except one. O well, sometimes second best isn't too bad either.

jimmythekid1
09-14-2007, 06:49 PM
So it beat the VW Veyron by 3 mph, and the Veyron only beat the Koenigsegg CCX be 2 mph? Still, second and third place are just a few mph behind...

It looks like a Koenigsegg CCR on Saleen S7 child...

But it's still american. And people will always take the european cars, cuase they're european. We've been in the race longer.. (Weren't cars from Germany, the otto-engine?)

EDIT: But is it a production car like the Veyron and the CCX?

Americans that like European cars from my experience are usually hippies freaks and weirdos. their are a few exceptions but not many, however you are not an exception LOL.

Sweed
09-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Americans that like European cars from my experience are usually hippies freaks and weirdos. their are a few exceptions but not many, however you are not an exception LOL.

VW, BMW, Farrari, and Lamborgini must not be popular among old white guys or Rappers then?

sweetvette
09-14-2007, 07:26 PM
VW, BMW, Farrari, and Lamborgini must not be popular among old white guys or Rappers then?

rofl!!

anyway, as much as i love american cars, this car is just not as classy as the bugatti.

jimmythekid1
09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
VW defiantly not, they are for fatties, lezys and other freaky people. Old rich people buy new BMW's thats ok, but then they sell them used to hippies. Lambos and ferarris are for the elite rich and the occasional rapper.

I suppose I primarily meant Saab, VW, and Audi.

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm curious as to whats inside the cabin as far as ammenities go. the veyron is just as much a luxury car as it is a supercar. if this car is built like a street legal race car (ie no extras like ac, power steering, stereo, etc...) then it's feat seems slightly less spectacular compared to the bugatti's.

personally... i like the bugatti, it just oozes class and sophistication and it can outrun just about any "stock" car ever created. Except one. O well, sometimes second best isn't too bad either.

Its got a fairly nice interior, and all the amenities that you need. All covered in leather, and color options are fairly custom.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/texan_idiot25/ssc_aero_RT_BY_05_LE_03.jpg
Interior: Red Leather, DVD navigation with backup camera, 10 speaker DD audio system. Cab controlled front lift (lifts front end up to 4 inches for extra ground clearance for speed bumps, potholes, etc.). Gauges include: 260 mph speedometer among others. Seating is designed to accomodate a passenger up to 6'6" and 300lbs.

Its not meant to be classy like the Bugatti, but I would bet its also quicker around a track than one too, in just about the same amount of comfort you would care to have at 200+ mph.:nod:

Sweed
09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Its not meant to be classy like the Bugatti, but I would bet its also quicker around a track than one too, in just about the same amount of comfort you would care to have at 200+ mph.:nod:

We'll have to wait for Top Gear on that one...

VW defiantly not, they are for fatties, lezys and other freaky people. Old rich people buy new BMW's thats ok, but then they sell them used to hippies. Lambos and ferarris are for the elite rich and the occasional rapper.

I suppose I primarily meant Saab, VW, and Audi.

And Volvo?

VW makes some nice cars, I guess your not familiar with the Golf's, the GTi's, or the older Golf's, Polo's, or the Beatle's?
Oh, and Farraris are also for people that are deep in debt.

jimmythekid1
09-14-2007, 08:06 PM

And Volvo?

VW makes some nice cars, I guess your not familiar with the Golf's, the GTi's, or the older Golf's, Polo's, or the Beatle's?
Oh, and Farraris are also for people that are deep in debt.

yeah I forgot Volvo, I'm very familiar with VW, my shop is one of 3 in the greater Lansing, MI area that works on euros. I'm all to familur with VW with melted plastic water pump impellers and heads so warped you could use them as a balance board. The older motronic cars are ok. but can be very expensive to fix and few know how to tune them.

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Saab now is about as Swedish as Brittany Spears is talented.

And to what I know, Top Gear has yet to track test the Bugatti, just that oval track run.

taiwanesekid05
09-14-2007, 08:50 PM
the bugatti ppl must be whamming their heads on their desks by now...
i just wonder what would happen if the veryon was a rwd. it's told that i'll do smokey burnouts whenever u touch the accelerator.

Sweed
09-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Saab now is about as Swedish as Brittany Spears is talented.

And to what I know, Top Gear has yet to track test the Bugatti, just that oval track run.

Even though I'm no SAAB fan, it still has the Swedish name.. It actually is born of Rocket Scientists... I still find that offending..

Svenska Aeroplan AB....

Top Gear isn't all that.. The guys aren't that good at cars.. Come on, Landrover off road?

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Its like an acronym for Swedish Airplain Engineers or something along those lines. But nothing of them is swedish built now days, its off other of GM's Euro and American platforms.

Well Ill tell you what, Clarkson loves the GMC Typhoon. And thats no lie, he likes a turbo charged American SUV from the early 90s... Ill post the video

Sweed
09-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Its like an acronym for Swedish Airplain Engineers or something along those lines. But nothing of them is swedish built now days, its off other of GM's Euro and American platforms.

Well Ill tell you what, Clarkson loves the GMC Typhoon. And thats no lie, he likes a turbo charged American SUV from the early 90s... Ill post the video

Darn.. Koenigsegg is the only Swedish thing that's still Swedish.. Swedish fish are made in Canada these days, and we're'n't even Swedish to begin with.. :(

Oh, well, at least we have the prettiest/hottest/most-beautifulest/hottest chicks in the world. You can't beat that.. Well, you can actually (litterally) beat that, or beat to it... :lol:

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 09:52 PM
But they are mighty tastey :lol:.

Thats debatable sweed, very debatable.. Texas is where it's at. :nod: Noturday will back me on that one.

But, at any rate, you and me are (as usual) getting totally off topic, haha..

Sweed
09-14-2007, 09:58 PM
But they are mighty tastey :lol:.

Thats debatable sweed, very debatable.. Texas is where it's at. :nod: Noturday will back me on that one.

But, at any rate, you and me are (as usual) getting totally off topic, haha..

[Swedish]
Texas? Big ______ed Blondes is... Well, I can't comment on that, my country is Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes... and they have 'stuff'...
[Swedish/]

Okay, back on the topic of why European cars are superior in every single way (except sucking).

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 10:04 PM
More of them are natural than the FLA has...

Back on topic, of how come just about all British car companies either failed or had to be bought over to survive? How the Swedes went to just one swedish car company? Whos car was powered by a ford motor (though, as seen in Gumball rally, it has crappy reliability due to that motor) Oh right. :p

xmodzracer
09-14-2007, 10:08 PM
ok yes it is faster...but the bugatti is the fastest PRODUCTION car so it still holds the record. but imo this one is better

gt42r
09-14-2007, 10:21 PM
thats nice, but too expensive for me. id take the 4cyl. mivec 4g63 evo 9 mr. :D cheaper and fast enough. also great for daily too.

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 10:40 PM
ok yes it is faster...but the bugatti is the fastest PRODUCTION car so it still holds the record. but imo this one is better

This is a production car, please for the love of god, read the quote in the 1st post.

The SSC Ultimate Aero holds the worlds fastest production car as of yesterday. The Bugatti technically never had the record because it was never confirmed officially. Got it? Get it? Good ;)

Some specs:
CAR SPECIFICATIONS
SSC Ultimate Aero

Engine Type:

Block and Heads (V-8)

Displacement: 387.2 cu.in.

Bore x Stroke: 4.125 x 3.620"

Compression Ratio: 8.975:1

Horsepower: 1183 bhp @ 6950 rpm

Torque: 1094 lb./ft. @ 6150 rpm

Redline: 7200 rpm

Fuel Injection: Electronic Sequential Port

Weight: 422 lbs.

Oil: SAE 5W/30 Fully Synthetic Racing

Induction System: Sequential, multi-port fuel injection, Twin Turbo Chargers. Dual-Water to Air Intercoolers.

Fuel: Premium Unleaded - 91 Pump Octane

Record-Breaking Times

0-60 mph: 2.78 seconds

1/4 Mile: 9.90 seconds at 144 mph

Skidpad: 1.05 g

0-100mph-0: 11.66

60mph-0 (braking): 103 feet

Full spec list:
http://www.shelbysupercars.com/carspecs.php

noturday
09-14-2007, 11:01 PM

oh dear lord dont get me started on that guy...

guys this is official, whats not to get, Gueniss (sp?) world records was there to witness it. it is the new fasted production car in the world, and its a twin turbo GM V8, get used to it. sure european cars are nice, but why have a V12 when 8 cylinders can do better

i bet that car sounds mean haha

texan_idiot25
09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
i bet that car sounds mean haha

:nod:

p6VxGz83sKk

jimmythekid1
09-15-2007, 06:55 AM
[Swedish]
Texas? Big ______ed Blondes is... Well, I can't comment on that, my country is Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes... and they have 'stuff'...
[Swedish/]

Okay, back on the topic of why European cars are superior in
every single way (except sucking).

how is a plastic water pump impeller superior to a cast iron or stamped steel one?

Stampedekid
09-15-2007, 08:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHk03WWhlNg
heres the report about it

taiwanesekid05
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
reading first posts isn't my strong point either...
all you hear in the video is vvvvvvvVVVVVVVVVVVV rerrnnnn..... but very zoom zoom in my case.
hey, did anyone happen to read the article in Motor Trend about the science of speed with danica patrick?

texan_idiot25
09-17-2007, 06:24 PM
reading first posts isn't my strong point either...

Then dont bother posting Chinesekid, your useless banter is not needed.

hey, did anyone happen to read the article in Motor Trend about the science of speed with danica patrick?

Offtopic, and the one where she complains that a 7L V8 does not have much low-end torque? Right...

Sweed
09-17-2007, 08:18 PM
how is a plastic water pump impeller superior to a cast iron or stamped steel one?

It weighs less, and as every racer know's, every non-cosmetic once makes your car go 20mph faster! and stickers will add another 14% speed for every non-cosemetic mod, and 15% for every cosmetic mod, and the basic law of racing: "The more stickers on said car, the faster said car will go."

Texan, all natural isn't allways a good thing.. Hair?

taiwanesekid05
09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Then dont bother posting Chinesekid, your useless banter is not needed.

Offtopic, and the one where she complains that a 7L V8 does not have much low-end torque? Right...

heh heh... sorry. i don't really remember much of the article in the fact that i only read it once, but i do remember that she was comlaining that most of the cars would go fart after 5th gear. but it's an intersting article overall.

jimmythekid1
09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
i watched Danica get second place at the detroit grand prix a few week ends ago. It was a really good race. Only 8 of 18 cars finished.

xmodificationer
09-17-2007, 09:15 PM
jeez no one needs almost 1200hp and 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, but yes people just want it to show off....i think everyone would...

taiwanesekid05
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
it's all about bragging rights. most people say used to say that the veryon was the fastest production car, giving bugatti a good name. now, with the SSC ultimate areo taking the title, all bugatti has is that their car is the most expensive.

texan_idiot25
09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
The Bugatti was an unlimited budget, show-off mobile. Their speed was claimed on perfect race ways.

The SSC was built by an independent company, with what they had on hand. Their able to best the Veyron in real world streets and conditions with out the use of 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, and multitudes of coolers. Its half the weight, and more than half the cost.

It hauls ***, and can more than likely best the Bugatti in the corners. Even Lotus's can beat Bugattis in tighter courses.

Its a drivers' hyper-car.

redrkt
09-17-2007, 11:50 PM
And still is ford-based if I remember right too. :p

Yeh, this car has been on sale for quite some time, about a year ago. Just yesterday did it make it's high speed run.

Uses a Twin Turbo C5R Corvette race motor. That car has killed in the 24 Hour Le Mans, so you cant argue its not a strong or reliable motor. Especially when the C5R finished 1st and 2nd in it's class a time or two

I don't know what you have been reading but SSC has never used GM motors, The boss would rather cut off his own ***** than use a GM part.
Carroll has always been a ford man (just made a wrong turn at Dodge's door)

To coin and old phrase: "I'm from Missouri"

Sweed
09-18-2007, 06:59 AM
The SSC was built by an independent company, with what they had on hand. Their able to best the Veyron in real world streets and conditions with out the use of 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, and multitudes of coolers. Its half the weight, and more than half the cost.

Koenigsegg give the Bugatti and this a run for it's money as well, on or off the track.. If the car doesn't spin out in the corner.. :lol:

It hauls ***, and can more than likely best the Bugatti in the corners. Even Lotus's can beat Bugattis in tighter courses.

Its a drivers' hyper-car.

Lotus's are among the best handling cars there are, I think Lotus would pay you if you could flip the Exige while cornering...

texan_idiot25
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Redrkt-It was mentioned LONG ago, that the SSCUA uses a twin turbo C5R motor in it. Use google, and check for your self. C5R, is the C5 Corvette Race car. And yes, its a GM motor, wha'd'ya know? GM motor in the SSC :nod:

And I doubt anyone would rather cut off their dick about a motor.:roll_eye:

redrkt
09-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Redrkt-It was mentioned LONG ago, that the SSCUA uses a twin turbo C5R motor in it. Use google, and check for your self. C5R, is the C5 Corvette Race car. And yes, its a GM motor, wha'd'ya know? GM motor in the SSC :nod:

And I doubt anyone would rather cut off their dick about a motor.:roll_eye:

Thats funny, even the SSC website says nothing about using a C5R motor.
As for knowing what the C5R is...... I have probably been into racing longer than you have been alive, My uncle raced a C3R back in the '60s, and if you look at my website you will see that I have pictures of the new C6R on there that Corvette Racing is running this year.
Now back to the topic at hand, as I stated NOWHERE on the SSC website is the C5R mentioned. One other thing, SINCE the Aero is a Custom built car the motors are also custom built.
And you need to check your history, Carroll Shelby HAS never run GM products.

As for the last statement, obviously you have never been to a NASCAR race and gotten into a debate about motors, cars, or drivers have you?

xmodsnut
09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't know what you have been reading but SSC has never used GM motors, The boss would rather cut off his own ***** than use a GM part.

To coin and old phrase: "I'm from Missouri"

Thats funny, even the SSC website says nothing about using a C5R motor.
As for knowing what the C5R is...... I have probably been into racing longer than you have been alive, My uncle raced a C3R back in the '60s, and if you look at my website you will see that I have pictures of the new C6R on there that Corvette Racing is running this year.
Now back to the topic at hand, as I stated NOWHERE on the SSC website is the C5R mentioned. One other thing, SINCE the Aero is a Custom built car the motors are also custom built.
And you need to check your history, Carroll Shelby HAS never run GM products.
As for the last statement, obviously you have never been to a NASCAR race and gotten into a debate about motors, cars, or drivers have you?

If I remember right he did use a GM motor in the shelby series 1 so you are wrong redrkt. but other wise he has went with fords all along except for a time with dodge when he worked on the viper, and make shelby omnis and daytonas.

jimmythekid1
09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I don't know what they use for an engine but I do know this "Shelby Supercars, LLC is in no way affiliated with Carroll Shelby or Shelby North America." I found that on the SSC web site.

I take that back for sure the 2004 used the C5R engine. http://www.supercars.net/cars/2952.html so booya

Also know one custom builds a engine from scratch. Do you know how much all the tools, dies, casting equipment and so one would cost? Just to build one engine for one car, I don't think so, all super cars are backed by a major manufacture for their power train.

I'm not big into the racing scene. But I do know way more then I would like to about cars.

texan_idiot25
09-19-2007, 10:55 PM
For god sake, use Google, and READ. SSC does use the C5R's 6.2. Get with it.

Even in NASCAR, manufactures have next to 0 real influence on the cars. Even the parts they do provide are strictly controlled by NASCAR. And yes I have gotten into debates about motors, cars, and NASCAR. No one is cutting off their dick about a motor. If they do, they deserve to become a woman over such blind stupidity.

You do realize SSC and Carrol Shelby have NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER. Way to go Mr Race car man. Way to go...

Nothing against ya, but if you want to debate me about cars, lets get stuff straight so it doesnt goto a ****ing match.

jimmythekid1
09-19-2007, 10:59 PM
For god sake, use Google, and READ. SSC does use the C5R's 6.2. Get with it.

Even in NASCAR, manufactures have next to 0 real influence on the cars. Even the parts they do provide are strictly controlled by NASCAR. And yes I have gotten into debates about motors, cars, and NASCAR. No one is cutting off their dick about a motor. If they do, they deserve to become a woman over such blind stupidity.

You do realize SSC and Carrol Shelby have NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER. Way to go Mr Race car man. Way to go...

Nothing against ya, but if you want to debate me about cars, lets get stuff straight so it doesnt goto a ****ing match.

were is redrtk going with that any way, I got lost on what that has to do with any thing.

texan_idiot25
09-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Apparently nascar nuts are willing to cut off their manhood over engine? As this sticker on the ford truck said

"Built Ford Tough with Chevy Parts"

I dont see Ford small blocks in chevy, yet the Chevy small block is about the most universal motor ever.

Even the Ultima GTR uses a Chevy motor for its record runs. And it holds the worlds fastest 0-100-0 in a production car (also available in kit) at like 9.73 (no traction control or ABS too) seconds? Id have to go look it up again. As Ultima put it, "the natural choice was a Chevy V8". Plus their getting some 700 hp n/a in a car the weight of a go cart.

jimmythekid1
09-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Apparently nascar nuts are willing to cut off their manhood over engine? As this sticker on the ford truck said

"Built Ford Tough with Chevy Parts"

I dont see Ford small blocks in chevy, yet the Chevy small block is about the most universal motor ever.

Even the Ultima GTR uses a Chevy motor for its record runs. And it holds the worlds fastest 0-100-0 in a production car (also available in kit) at like 9.73 (no traction control or ABS too) seconds? Id have to go look it up again. As Ultima put it, "the natural choice was a Chevy V8". Plus their getting some 700 hp n/a in a car the weight of a go cart.

the reason the chevy small block is in just about every thing is cost. They are cheap to build and cheap to make power and are reliable.

ford engines are expensive to make and are expensive to mod and only they really respond well to boost.

Chevy has the upper hand in the small block department.

texan_idiot25
09-19-2007, 11:53 PM
And bigblock... we cant deny the 502 and 572 in drag racing. And most your aftermarket big-blocks are based off the Chevy design.

Chevy just about owns the American V8 market. With the exception of brand purist.

redrkt
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
And bigblock... we cant deny the 502 and 572 in drag racing. And most your aftermarket big-blocks are based off the Chevy design.

Chevy just about owns the American V8 market. With the exception of brand purist.

Lets see the ONLY way you can get a 502 or 572 is as a crate motor, it is not a production line motor. ie Special Order.

I am still waiting for you to show me the proof about the C5R motor.

because none of the specs seem to match anything I have read on the C5R.

BUT, obviously you are much smarter than me, because your younger and faster!

One thing you need to remember tho is that FORD had the first V8 and that is what your V8 design is based on.

Sweed
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
One thing you need to remember tho is that FORD had the first V8 and that is what your V8 design is based on.

You're forgetting about Germany again, were the Otto-Motor (Four Stroke) is from! Give them credit for making this thing you guys call a car!

jimmythekid1
09-20-2007, 06:39 PM
http://www.supercars.net/cars/2952.html

BART
09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
You're forgetting about Germany again, were the Otto-Motor (Four Stroke) is from! Give them credit for making this thing you guys call a car!

correct...although it is called the otto cycle.

redrkt
09-20-2007, 11:55 PM
http://www.supercars.net/cars/2952.html

OK, it says it has a modified C5R engine in it.
Now here is another question for you,
Why if you are building a "Supercar" would you decrease the cubic inches of a engine?

The C5R is a 427 ci engine (Corvette Racing has the engine sizes for the last 3 years listed on their website)
Why would you take a international winning engine like that and destroke and detune it?

and for the purists out there an engine is mechanical, a motor is electrical.

jimmythekid1
09-21-2007, 06:52 AM
OK, it says it has a modified C5R engine in it.
Now here is another question for you,
Why if you are building a "Supercar" would you decrease the cubic inches of a engine?

The C5R is a 427 ci engine (Corvette Racing has the engine sizes for the last 3 years listed on their website)
Why would you take a international winning engine like that and destroke and detune it?

and for the purists out there an engine is mechanical, a motor is electrical.

Its very common to destroke an engine, for different applications. For example the C5R is stroker version of the 5.7 LS1. When you stroke an engine you main gain top end and low end but the crank shaft takes more abuse due to the longer strokes, so as a result your red line is lowered significantly. So lots of road coarse teams will destroke to increase their red line and to reduce crank shaft impact.

Now think about gong with boost, basically air equals rpm, if you add two turbos or even nitrous. your cramming tons of air into the plenum increasing rpm. So a destroked engine with a lower compression ratio is a good what to keep the engine from coming apart. Saving head gaskets and your lower end.

redrkt
09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Its very common to destroke an engine, for different applications. For example the C5R is stroker version of the 5.7 LS1. When you stroke an engine you main gain top end and low end but the crank shaft takes more abuse due to the longer strokes, so as a result your red line is lowered significantly. So lots of road coarse teams will destroke to increase their red line and to reduce crank shaft impact.

Now think about gong with boost, basically air equals rpm, if you add two turbos or even nitrous. your cramming tons of air into the plenum increasing rpm. So a destroked engine with a lower compression ratio is a good what to keep the engine from coming apart. Saving head gaskets and your lower end.

It takes more than destroking to change the cubic inches of an engine.
and reducing rpm does not allow for higher speeds. You need a combination of engine and drivetrain to accomplish this.
increasing the air pressure to the cylinder does not increase rpm by itself, you need to adjust everything else ie fuel flow rate, and timing for everything to work together.
And if this was the winning combination don't you think that Corvette Racing would be going that way instead of using the 427 ci engine?
Corvette Racing engine specs: http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c6r/engine_specs.shtml

jimmythekid1
09-21-2007, 08:10 PM
It takes more than destroking to change the cubic inches of an engine.
and reducing rpm does not allow for higher speeds. You need a combination of engine and drivetrain to accomplish this.
increasing the air pressure to the cylinder does not increase rpm by itself, you need to adjust everything else ie fuel flow rate, and timing for everything to work together.
And if this was the winning combination don't you think that Corvette Racing would be going that way instead of using the 427 ci engine?
Corvette Racing engine specs: http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c6r/engine_specs.shtml

that is not at all what I said, but I don't feel like playing teacher or who is a better car guy so I'm not going to bother any more.

REDisFASTER
09-22-2007, 01:08 AM

So Carroll's aiding in the initial design of the Viper was a wrong turn?

Sweed
09-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Also know one custom builds a engine from scratch. Do you know how much all the tools, dies, casting equipment and so one would cost? Just to build one engine for one car, I don't think so, all super cars are backed by a major manufacture for their power train.

1.) Lurn to spill!
2.) Koenigsegg and Bugatti both make thier own engines, now. I don't know if the Veyron is still being made, but the CCX has it's own engine.
3.) I'm smexxy.

sweetvette
09-24-2007, 01:32 AM
1.) Lurn to spill!
2.) Koenigsegg and Bugatti both make thier own engines, now. I don't know if the Veyron is still being made, but the CCX has it's own engine.
3.) I'm smexxy.

4.) as am I, the smexxy part...

never mind

jimmythekid1
09-24-2007, 07:06 AM
1.) Lurn to spill!
3.) I'm smexxy.

1. I had a typo not a spelling error... so what

2. I doubt they purchased an engine plant, I'd guess they used some one else's tooling.

3. grow some nut hair