PDA

View Full Version : Evo E.P swap to MA-010 E.P

Spoon_Tuner
08-30-2007, 10:04 PM
So I have been doing some thinking about a serious project...
I want to take out the e.p to my Xmod Evolution and put in my spare Mini Z MA-010 e.p. I did not see a tutorial of how to do this, nor did I see anything to this nature in this part of the forums.
Is there someone out there who's done this and remembers how they did it. It seems like it might be a simple thing to do, but I want some pointers and tips.
Thanks

bondo
08-30-2007, 10:44 PM
why would you want to down grade a mini-z with inferior xmod elecs??

EDIT:
my bad, i read that backwards,..........sorry.

Life
08-30-2007, 11:57 PM
dude ull need the board ill send u an xmod ep or 2 if u send me the awd ep

RedSXmodder
08-31-2007, 05:16 PM
um... motor wire to motor wire connector, sevrvo wire to severo wire thingy and batteries to battery conntector thingy i guess...

Your an idiot. Seriously, think before you post your bull****.

I'm not familiar with the MA-010 electronics but I'm sure we could figure something out. PM me if you want to talk.

Later,
RedSXmodder

Sweed
08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
It shouldn't be hard. You'll need the Evo Servo Pot and possibly motor. The motor should be straight forward, but the servo will take work.

Search around Mini-Z Racer, qutie a few people have done this.

bondo
08-31-2007, 10:05 PM
It shouldn't be hard. You'll need the Evo Servo Pot and possibly motor. The motor should be straight forward, but the servo will take work.

Search around Mini-Z Racer, qutie a few people have done this.

why an EVO pot?
my knowledge of mini-z is limited but i do know that the z pot holds twice as many points as the EVO pot wich gives you smoother turning.
the evo is 12 point whereas the z is 24.
from lock to lock there is 24 stopping point on a z pot.

is it a compatability thing???
my understanding is that the motor is basically the same but the pot is much better on the z.

care to elaborate??

c1v1c
08-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah but i think that a mini-z dosent have the same size has a evo pot so maybe it wont fit in the evo steering case.

BART
08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah but i think that a mini-z dosent have the same size has a evo pot so maybe it wont fit in the evo steering case.

I dont see any reason you couldnt just stick with the evo servo. I know the range and response will be much greater with this mod (my z embarrasses my mods). There should be no reason you couldnt stick with the evo servo, motor, battery tray, and even antennae...(although antennas are tuned to a specific frequency I doubt it is a big deal in this application).

RedSXmodder
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
I dont see any reason you couldnt just stick with the evo servo. I know the range and response will be much greater with this mod (my z embarrasses my mods). There should be no reason you couldnt stick with the evo servo, motor, battery tray, and even antennae...(although antennas are tuned to a specific frequency I doubt it is a big deal in this application).

The EVO pot (from my experiences with quality electronics) is to jittery and jumpy for my likings. How would a Mini-Z pot hook up? Is it basically just connect the wires?

Later,
RedSXmodder

BART
09-01-2007, 09:28 AM
The EVO pot (from my experiences with quality electronics) is to jittery and jumpy for my likings. How would a Mini-Z pot hook up? Is it basically just connect the wires?

Later,
RedSXmodder

I'm pretty sure thats all you would need to do. Every servo I have seen is a 3 wire setup. On all of my hobby grade 1/8 and 1/10 scale cars (we have about 9 plus more in parts) the servos are all interchangeable regardless of brand. I have had to change plugs before to get them to work with a certain receiver but in the end it's just a 3 wire servo. We are going 4 wheelin but I could tear a mod and a z apart tonight to compare (I'm sure you will do the same);)

Spoon_Tuner
09-01-2007, 01:19 PM
AHHH thats more like it!
Thats what I wanted more detailed information on how to do it. I might change the servo or might just keep the Evolution servo in there. I have a beginner's solder skill, Im getting better and better each time I bust that sodering iron out.

Im a little worried about one thing though, I dont know how I am going to mount the Mini Z board to the tray and all that.

ALSO, here some more questions I have
When you take the Xmod E.P out, I know the wires that come from the servo are the servo wires. But theres 3 other ones. Those also help the servo to function properly right? And would those be the Xmods version of the potentimetor? If so how come theres three of them? On the Mini Z E.P on the potentimetor how come theres only two of them and which ones do I need to connect from the Xmod potentimetor to the Mini Z E.P?

I will check out Mzr and see if they got a thread on there on how to do this.

Sweed
09-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm pretty sure thats all you would need to do. Every servo I have seen is a 3 wire setup. On all of my hobby grade 1/8 and 1/10 scale cars (we have about 9 plus more in parts) the servos are all interchangeable regardless of brand. I have had to change plugs before to get them to work with a certain receiver but in the end it's just a 3 wire servo. We are going 4 wheelin but I could tear a mod and a z apart tonight to compare (I'm sure you will do the same);)

It's not a servo-servo, it's mechanical. The Micro-T is 5-wire. The diffrence is were the control board for the servo lies. There's some info on this on R7R as well. I'll get links in a little bit..

why an EVO pot?
my knowledge of mini-z is limited but i do know that the z pot holds twice as many points as the EVO pot wich gives you smoother turning.
the evo is 12 point whereas the z is 24.
from lock to lock there is 24 stopping point on a z pot.

is it a compatability thing???
my understanding is that the motor is basically the same but the pot is much better on the z.

care to elaborate??

I'm not sure on the motor, but you should use the Mini-Z Motor. The Mini-Z has 4 or 5 wires (I think, I'll check...) for the servo. Two for the motor, the other 2/3 are for the pot.. I'll get a picture..

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/sxysweed/minizboard1.jpg

It's four wires, don't remember what the evo is.. I was talking to someone doing it on a truck, they said the pot is diffrent and needs some custom work. I'll get comparison pictures later today, I have a MR-02 pot and a Evo-T Pot upstairs..

RedSXmodder
09-01-2007, 01:48 PM
The three other wires your talking about are orange, white and black right? If so, these wires are for the steering pot, which returns the servo to its original position.

Later,
RedSXmodder

Sweed
09-01-2007, 03:01 PM
The three other wires your talking about are orange, white and black right? If so, these wires are for the steering pot, which returns the servo to its original position.

Later,
RedSXmodder

The Red and Grey are from the servo motor, they yellow and brown are for the pot.

BART
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
It's not a servo-servo, it's mechanical. The Micro-T is 5-wire. The diffrence is were the control board for the servo lies. There's some info on this on R7R as well. I'll get links in a little bit..

I'm not sure on the motor, but you should use the Mini-Z Motor. The Mini-Z has 4 or 5 wires (I think, I'll check...) for the servo. Two for the motor, the other 2/3 are for the pot.. I'll get a picture..

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b290/sxysweed/minizboard1.jpg

It's four wires, don't remember what the evo is.. I was talking to someone doing it on a truck, they said the pot is diffrent and needs some custom work. I'll get comparison pictures later today, I have a MR-02 pot and a Evo-T Pot upstairs..

Thanks...I'm retarded. Never really been into the steering of these things... all the big stuff has the pot inside the servo.

Spoon_Tuner
09-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Ok I decided I am going to stick with the Xmod Evolutions servo.

I checked MZR out and there was a tutorial for how to install the Mini Z E.P into the Xmod Gen1 chassis not the Evolution chassis. I know their different in their ways the Evo has the tighter turns then the Gen1. It got all talking about the GEN.1 E.P and the transistors and stuff, didnt help me out that much!

So far I have torn undone the Evolutions E.P, there are three sets of wires. These are the colors the first set is servo's wires black and white, the second set is red and black the power wires connecting the E.P to the tray and battery tabs, the last set which is three are white, orange and black.

On my Mini Z E.P there five sets of wires. Orange and green for the pontentmetor (SP?), for the servo there red and black, for the board to connect to a power source there is red and black. For the power switch theres two black wires, and finanly the attenae wire is white.

I am pretty postive that two of those sets on the Mini Z E.P will need to stay on there. The power switch wires and the the attenae wire.

I think I will just have to be a mad scientist, and take a risk and see what I can do with it. Who freaking knows, I could be just getting all ansy about something thats really simple to do :mad:

RedSXmodder
09-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Its not as easy as it looks. I know what you mean. EP swaps are tough to do. Just do what looks senisble. Just try moving wires around. Its not like your going to fry your servo.

Good luck, we're here if you F something up real bad, lol...

Later,
RedSXmodder

Sweed
09-02-2007, 01:24 PM
I found the links before, I can do it again. Give me the day and I'll have pictures and links for you..

Kel's Conversion:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25634&page=2&pp=20&highlight=xmod

Spoon_Tuner
09-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Well I managed to get it mocked up today.
I am not satisfied with my sodering that much, I'm thinking I need a little more pratice with the sodering iron. I managed to burn a little of the covering on the wires, hopefully I didnt burn the wires.

I havent gotten a chance to see if it works at all yet. Ill get to that tommorow.:uhoh: