PDA

View Full Version : just a teaser from my weekend project

redrkt
08-27-2007, 12:15 AM
just thought I would give you a little taste of what I was working on over the weekend.

http://www.redrktrc.com/teaser_1.jpg

texan_idiot25
08-27-2007, 12:19 AM
A whole lotta carbon fiber chassis gen1?

Saweet.

dontspamme
08-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Uhh. nice project??? It looks like one of those nascar bodies from AM. I can see a gen 1 rear diff white, and 2 pieces of CF

darkendblades
08-27-2007, 12:22 AM
its the only piece that no one makes in metal for the gen1's lol

redrkt
08-27-2007, 12:51 AM
its the only piece that no one makes in metal for the gen1's lol

BINGO

Yeah that is why I did it, is only a proto right now I may get some laser cut so they are cleaner and neater.
Here are a couple of pix of the whole thing.

The rear piece.
http://www.redrktrc.com/DSC02634.jpg

The bottom plate(still need to cut the rest of the holes in it.
http://www.redrktrc.com/DSC02635.jpg

and the whole thing
http://www.redrktrc.com/DSC02639.jpg

I also have the cf top plates to put on it. (the RS ones)

This one is going under my Enzo body.

Just a note for anybody that wants to do this; CF is a pain in the butt to work with cause the dust gets everywhere and will make you itch constantly if you don't wear long sleeves when working with it.

texan_idiot25
08-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Kick *** indeed... and I was about to sell off my CF chassis gen1...

Thinking of selling them? There is a market for it

darkendblades
08-27-2007, 01:36 AM
heck yeah i knew it, and if y ou think of selling them when you can get them done at more then one at a time ill buy somefrom you.

and hey tex ill buy your cf gen1 fromyou give me a price in a pm

texan_idiot25
08-27-2007, 01:42 AM
Check XMW in a few days..

REDisFASTER
08-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Very nice! You even made a CF rear chassis plate like you were talking about in the previous thread you've made a few weeks (almost a month?) ago!

The only problem I see happening is the lack of countersunk screws and holes for the rear chassis plate-to-main chassis plate mount. It'll work perfect for long wheelbase Gen1 cars, but when you go to something like a middle and short wheelbase Gen1 body, you won't be able to access the screw, or even use one for that matter.

Otherwise, great job! Can't wait to see how it ends up!

sensoryx
08-27-2007, 05:29 AM
awsome now make them and sell them! ;)

redrkt
08-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Very nice! You even made a CF rear chassis plate like you were talking about in the previous thread you've made a few weeks (almost a month?) ago!

The only problem I see happening is the lack of countersunk screws and holes for the rear chassis plate-to-main chassis plate mount. It'll work perfect for long wheelbase Gen1 cars, but when you go to something like a middle and short wheelbase Gen1 body, you won't be able to access the screw, or even use one for that matter.

Otherwise, great job! Can't wait to see how it ends up!
Actually there are holes there to be able to go shorter on the chassis. I made sure to have them just for that purpose, I will post pictures later today showing it in the different configurations.

And BTW thanks for all the props guys!! I will let you know for sure when I get some done.

taiwanesekid05
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
have fun... muahahahierjiejfojwier?weoiwfoweif
what's the chasis going to have (if you already haven't told us)

c1v1c
08-27-2007, 06:14 PM
he did, enzo

mini-z drift
08-27-2007, 07:00 PM
One question, where did you get the CF?

darkendblades
08-27-2007, 08:00 PM
yeah like mini said i was woundering where ou got the carbon fiber from i want to see if i can make something too llike a bodie or something?

redrkt
08-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I got the CF on Ebay.
.060 6"x6" sheet

one thing I need to clarify I guess, the rear plate is an exact copy of the stock one and the chassis plate is copied from the switchblade chassis. So all the holes are there and the chassis can be shortened up for the shorter bodies.

texan_idiot25
08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
You can also get CF plate on www.dragonplate.com

redrkt
08-28-2007, 01:02 AM
You can also get CF plate on www.dragonplate.com
Thanks for the heads up on dragonplate

taiwanesekid05
08-28-2007, 10:09 PM
he did, enzo

i was thinking more of what's inside the chasis... but i guess it's all gen 1 parts

redrkt
08-29-2007, 12:36 AM
i was thinking more of what's inside the chasis... but i guess it's all gen 1 parts

Right now nothing because I am still working on it and waiting for some parts that I have ordered

THE EDJ
08-29-2007, 02:43 AM
i wanted to do a one piece lower chasis when i did the SPYDER last spring, but upon looking at the piece i decided it would have to be CNC'd to make anything worth selling. theres just too many different heights and variations in the part to make it worth building in aluminum, thats why no one builds one in metal too. you also have to think about the drive train and how its all going to line up in the vertical direction, might have to do some math or a little bit of engineering to make sure you get things right, cuz trial and error sucks. anyways, nice looking project, get them holes counter sunk and keep us updated.