PDA

View Full Version : Good first car?

Sweed
08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I HAVE TO buy a car in the next few months, as my mom is moving 15 miles south. Thus I can't take the bus to school half the time, and I have to drive 30mile (each way)..

I'm just thinking about what to get. No Domestics (US cars don't do well in my family), but Asian and Euro cars are fine. I thought about the Honda CRX cuase it's a **** sexy car, and there's a few for sale in the area. I'm gonna call a guy about one tomarow..

I also thought about getting some kind of Civic.. But I'm not sure. I need something I can pick up girls in, and to drive to school without being made fun of... It also needs to have a selection of body kits or some tuning/modifing fallowing, cuase I won't be able to leave it stock (family's into racing.. even my 72yo granny).

I need something dependable, something with cheap (low cost), readily available, and good quality parts. Once again it has to be dependable, I'm broke..

So far I have about $1950 saved up, but I can probably get my parents to add another $500 if it's really nice. Insurance doesn't bother me (mum's paying!), but it does need good gas milage...

Any sugestions?

SUPERSHELBY
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
sounds like u could get a little itty bitty car lol...i actually found a Ford Expedition on autotrader 1 time that was bein sold for $100, and the funny thing is that the owner said in the description NIB...lol but yea...u could prolly get a 70s or 80s civic

sensoryx
08-14-2007, 09:07 PM
With that price range, your best bet is a 1994-1995 civic hatch.

darkendblades
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
dude get a GEO lol

or you could get a ford probe those are pretty good

sensoryx
08-14-2007, 09:19 PM
dude get a GEO lol

or you could get a ford probe those are pretty good

noooooooooo not probesssss lol they are so *** looking

darkendblades
08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
lol i know but they get some good gas milage

speed3326
08-14-2007, 09:26 PM
rx7 man they are nice

DRFTKO
08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
With that price range, your best bet is a 1994-1995 civic hatch.

I have one and love it, or you get a CRX (the last gen they made only, ended in 1991). They both look decent if it has/will be taken care of and good on gas. The best part is, when you get done with either one, you could easily sale them due to the demand for them right now.

sensoryx
08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
rx7 man they are nice

yeah the FCs are a good investment.
FDs are going to run you around 10k

Sweed
08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't want any "Get a rx7, they're cool!" type replies. I'm looking for serious responses.

I have one and love it, or you get a CRX (the last gen they made only, ended in 1991). They both look decent if it has/will be taken care of and good on gas. The best part is, when you get done with either one, you could easily sale them due to the demand for them right now.

Demand? If I buy one I'm getting it from Orlando, they're on average $500 cheaper in Orlando, FL compared to the Miami Area..

No fords, chevy's, or GM's. No American cars..

darkendblades
08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
go get a GEO

CRX is good
SUBARU BRAT is good

123Vette
08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
get a volvo there reliable

DRFTKO
08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't want any "Get a rx7, they're cool!" type replies. I'm looking for serious responses.

Demand? If I buy one I'm getting it from Orlando, they're on average $500 cheaper in Orlando, FL compared to the Miami Area..

No fords, chevy's, or GM's. No American cars..

they are popular around here and hard to find. If you can get a CRX cheap and in "ok" condtion (not have to sink a lot of money into it), then I would stick with a CRX.

civic_guy
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
I would go for a civic. But if you seriously want to buy a Honda make sure you keep enough saved up to fix up the A/C. Hondas are very reliable cars and get great gas mileage but are notorious for having A/C problems.

I have had to take my car in for the A/C but that's it. A plus to having a honda as oppose to a European car (like a BMW) is the parts are readily available and cheap. I have many friends who have bought older Beamers at crazy low prices but when they took it in for maintinence there are parts that have to be shipped from germany and they cost an arm and a leg.

Over-all I would go with a honda. Early 90's hondas are great and they don't look too bad either if you fix it up right.

Numbchux
08-15-2007, 03:11 AM
pretty much anything FWD. 5-speeds will yield better gas mileage, but usually are harder to find and more expensive. hondas, toyotas, nissans, subarus, older VWs etc. all good choices.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/397287396.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/397275660.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/397269823.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/397075722.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/393400371.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/396693568.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/396651538.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/396651426.html
says dodge....but made by mitsu:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/car/396527388.html

and those are all listed in the last 24 hours

Xmodifier07
08-15-2007, 04:54 AM
MINI COOPER!! Small, Nippy, Can get decent mods, Wont get made fun of and is reliable!!

REDisFASTER
08-15-2007, 07:22 AM
1989 Ford Tempo LX-AWD. Just like its name says, its AWD.

The Mercury Topaz of that same generation also has an AWD model.

Get the diesel model and you'll have better gas mileage than a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (assuming the engine was decently maintained).

A lot of people think that its an ugly car, but in my opinion (see, I'm dead serious, I didn't type IMO), its one of the most under-rated and under-appreciated cars out there.

If you want something Japanese, a nice 1990-1992 Nissan Stanza will do great! I used to own one. Its still my favorite car. I'd take one over an Enzo any day (yes, I am serious).

Sweed
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
1989 Ford Tempo LX-AWD. Just like its name says, its AWD.

The Mercury Topaz of that same generation also has an AWD model.

Get the diesel model and you'll have better gas mileage than a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (assuming the engine was decently maintained).

A lot of people think that its an ugly car, but in my opinion (see, I'm dead serious, I didn't type IMO), its one of the most under-rated and under-appreciated cars out there.

If you want something Japanese, a nice 1990-1992 Nissan Stanza will do great! I used to own one. Its still my favorite car. I'd take one over an Enzo any day (yes, I am serious).

This is the kinda of reply I was looking for... and thanks for reminding me to use Craig's List, completely forgot about it!

So good list of cars to look into are:
1989 Ford Tempo LX-AWD
Mercury Topaz -- Diesel
Nissan Stanza

If the Ford isn't AWD, is it still good?
How easy is it to find parts for the above cars?

lilskipro587
08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
VW Bug!!

Sweed
08-15-2007, 12:10 PM
VW Bug!!

0-60 by next week? Sign me up!

I thought about it. It just I need something reliable, that won't break, has AC, won't break, get's good gas, is reliable, runs forever, looks somewhat cool*, is reliable, get's good gas, has AC, has AC, has AC, and it needs to be reliable.

*Not a stunner, but I need to be able to pick a girl up at her house in it..

123Vette
08-15-2007, 04:49 PM
i got it! how bout and oldish mersedes u can even get a deisil

DrIfToRDIe
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Wow i never knew heard of a "mersedes", could you post a pic?

I think find a nice 240sx there cool looking,fast,RWD

Sweed
08-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Wow i never knew heard of a "mersedes", could you post a pic?

I think find a nice 240sx there cool looking,fast,RWD

He means Mercedes (sp?).

240's are nice, but are parts cheap, do they run good, are they reliable, is insurance cheap, and do they get good gas? That is the question.

xmodsnut
08-15-2007, 10:50 PM
probably not due to the japanese parts in them
I would do a truck if possible. a tacoma or ranger or S10 with 4 cylinder engine and auto is good. you can airbag them all and get performance and bling parts for them cheap. they are good on gas and the insurance is really cheap on them because its a truck and has a frame.

Numbchux
08-16-2007, 04:02 AM
1989 Ford Tempo LX-AWD
Mercury Topaz -- Diesel

so you said no fords....but didn't really mean it?

they're rare = many parts will be hard to find and expensive.

and it's a FORD TEMPO!!!! :eyecraz:

if you're considering a tempo, you're beyond rescue already.

I wouldn't get an older mercedes unless it's a diesel. the '70s 5-cyl diesel is indestructible. but I've had some nasty luck with any gas mercedes more than a few years old. My dad had a '76 mercedes 300D (diesel), awesome car, the only reason we don't have it today was rust and difficult cold starts (neither a problem for you)

so, do you care about insurance or not? 240SX will fit the bill, except insurance will be much more pricey than many other cars. ditto older hondas, especially Civics, CRXs, and Del Slo's.

trucks are not good on gas. 4-cyl 2WD trucks are better than V8 4WD trucks, but have nothing on a station wagon or hatch, and get worse mileage.

one of my coworkers drives a stanza....ugly car, but dependable.

Nissans are alot like subarus in their parts interchangeability (in fact, many parts are interchangeable between the brands). making stuff pretty cheap and easy to upgrade, if you do the research.

texan_idiot25
08-16-2007, 05:15 AM
This is the kinda of reply I was looking for... and thanks for reminding me to use Craig's List, completely forgot about it!

1989 Ford Tempo LX-AWD
Mercury Topaz -- Diesel
Nissan Stanza

Tempos, are ****. And thats that. We had a 91. Horrible car. But, decent reliability, if thats what you want. No overdrive makes freeway trips annoying (high revs the whole time if you ever go over 60). In 99 it puked the water pump pully and it went rolling down the highway. And besides the starter, it seemed reliable. But quality.... :nodno:

This is truely the only good use of a Tempo:
ibKOLBSTUMM

If you consider a peek-up truck, if you can find an old Toy in decent shape (hard to find though) their tough old trucks, with pretty good milage. And the S10s and Sonomas. Both can be had with a 5 speed stick or 4 speed auto, and a 4cyl or the V6. The 4 cyl was crap though, the V6 is dead reliable. Gets about 18-20 highway, 16 or so city in our Jimmy, and its heavier than the little trucks. Stray away from Ford Rangers..

use:
www.autotrader.com
www.cars.com

You can find some good deals on there.

joe913
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
There is a 1993 toyota corolla in my family. My sister bought it in 1994. Now my brother drives it and it has over 300,000 miles on it. It has never needed any major repair work done, only scheduled maintenance, oil changes etc. It still runs like it did the day my sister bought it.[It also gets incredible gas mileage! I like American cars myself but I am **** impressed with that toyota. Also, my buddy has a 1990 civic 5 door. That thing runs like a champ!

civic_guy
08-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah for a first car, a mid 90's Honda or Toyota would be the best choice. Toyotas are awesome cars.

Depending on how much you make per month Sweed, you could also take out a 4 yr loan and in addition to putting some cash down you could get yourself a used Scion XA or even a new older year model they're trying to clear out. Scions are very affordable and ver reliable cars.

I did that with my civic...My car payment is only 172 a month which is extremely puny for a car payment.

REDisFASTER
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
That's because you had an ill-maintained Tempo. A decently maintained LX-AWD Tempo is great. Just like I said, its a highly underestimated and underappreciated car. The guys above called them junk, but that's because they had a junk one to start off with, and never really appreciated them... And obviously 5-speed is the way to go!

Heck, if those guys checked out my CarDomain and checked out my old car, they'd probably go on saying it was sh!t too, that's just because they don't know the history and what the car is capable of.

Under-appreciating b@stards...

*Not a stunner, but I need to be able to pick a girl up at her house in it..

240SX's have a lot of reasonably priced parts, but if you skimp on them and go for parts to save yourself a $1, it'll end up riced.

If you want a car that's not too much of a stunner and still able to pick up your date with, I suggest a 1997 Infiniti I30. If you can find one at a decent price, the I30t (touring) is good too.

You can even get away with doing aesthetics without even touching the engine. Who cares if it isn't that fast, the V6 is enough for daily driving, plus you can make the it look like a VIP-style car! Its JDM version has a nice name too, the Nissan A32 Cefiro! Cefiro, doesn't that sound... Nice? ;)

Check these out:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/REDisFASTER/96a997e6.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/REDisFASTER/dscn9997_resize.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/REDisFASTER/VIPStyle_Society_Cefiro4.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/REDisFASTER/VIPStyle_Society_Cefiro6.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/REDisFASTER/VIPStyle_Society_Cefiro2.jpg<- My favorite!

texan_idiot25
08-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Our Tempo had the nick-name of

TEMPO GTO-SS-HSV-GT-SVT-SHO

:lol:

jimmythekid1
08-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Get a hyundai

civicblack10
08-16-2007, 06:36 PM
id say civic, crx or a mx-3 precidia. all get good gas mileage

jimmythekid1
09-01-2007, 12:21 PM
any updates sweed what are you getting or are you to embarrassed to tell?

Must be a Yugo

taiwanesekid05
09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
um... all i can say is find a nice little japanese car that's been taken good care of (i.e. all maintience done, regualar gas change, etc.)

but, personally, i would get a honda. Crx, civic, prelude, maybe an accord. maybe an old integra.

Sweed
09-01-2007, 03:14 PM
any updates sweed what are you getting or are you to embarrassed to tell?

Must be a Yugo

Nope, been busy with school. Kinda stopped looking for a car for now...

I thought about getting a Renualt (as much as I hate french anything) and painting it like the one from Dude Were's My Car?

c1v1c
09-01-2007, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=Sweed;118587]Nope, been busy with school. Kinda stopped looking for a car for now...
i tought the car was for school?

Sweed
09-01-2007, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=Sweed;118587]Nope, been busy with school. Kinda stopped looking for a car for now...
i tought the car was for school?

To drive to school... Turns out Tuesday was the last day to reserve a parking spot..

dr1ftGTR
09-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Get a civic. I have a '95 and its fun to drive and gets great mileage, plus you can find cheap upgrades

speed3326
09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
dyjy rytk ytk tk gfjkghk uytk uyk uyk utk ytk utk ytk ytk yt kyk m vnhtdi ezgtdghcjsrj tdgkhtgjkytdgj

taiwanesekid05
09-01-2007, 10:08 PM
dyjy rytk ytk tk gfjkghk uytk uyk uyk utk ytk utk ytk ytk yt kyk m vnhtdi ezgtdghcjsrj tdgkhtgjkytdgj back at cha speed...

um... if you like subbies, then get a subbie. gosh... :P...
er... japanese. yes.