PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: Advertising Schemes?

Aft3rMath
08-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Anyone got any good Ideas to get great modders here, and just plain old more numbers, I can post a thread for a free mod and no one will reply for like 2 days, lol, just a thought....post away...

Sweed
08-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Anyone got any good Ideas to get great modders here, and just plain old more numbers, I can post a thread for a free mod and no one will reply for like 2 days, lol, just a thought....post away...

Yet if I post a minor update to one of my projects (like pictures) I can get a page full of replies by the end of the day. We want pictures, something new, something intresting, and less noobs.

BlackSky909
08-14-2007, 04:44 PM
Yet if I post a minor update to one of my projects (like pictures) I can get a page full of replies by the end of the day. We want pictures, something new, something intresting, and less noobs.

You pretty much said it.

civic_guy
08-14-2007, 06:23 PM

You can't have forum growth without noobs. We were all noobs at one point. Nobody was born with instant knowledge about this stuff...we all had to learn it. Now granted, some get a hang of things faster but still, saying less noobs is insulting. And that attitude from a longtime member and a mod is exactly what's wrong with this forum. It creates a tension filled unfriendly atmosphere.

There are many members on this forum who signed up knowing nothing and have ended up being some of the nicest most helpful members on the forum.

This forum needs something that gets more members involved; more competitions and a more friendly atmosphere.

AeroSynch
08-14-2007, 06:25 PM
You can't have forum growth without noobs. We were all noobs at one point. Nobody was born with instant knowledge about this stuff...we all had to learn it. Now granted, some get a hang of things faster but still, saying less noobs is insulting. And that attitude from a longtime member and a mod is exactly what's wrong with this forum. It creates a tension filled unfriendly atmosphere.

There are many members on this forum who signed up knowing nothing and have ended up being some of the nicest most helpful members on the forum.

This forum needs something that gets more members involved; more competitions and a more friendly atmosphere.

You said it

Aft3rMath
08-14-2007, 11:28 PM

Perfectly said. Mods, maybe start thinking about this stuff :), not to be offensive of coarse.

BlackSky909
08-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Friendly Atmosphere? Whats wrong with it now?

123Vette
08-15-2007, 10:42 AM
idk i find it very freindly

Sweed
08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Forum growth is hard to do. It's unpredicable and there's not much you can do to get it to grow. Having a good store is a begining, but XMW doesn't have either, and yet the growth flucautes.

Friendly Atmosphere? Whats wrong with it now?

Don't know. I'm wondering the same.

You can't have forum growth without noobs.

Well, yes you can. Ripper7Racing doesn't have too many noobs (most leave..), GSR has no noobs.. and in the past XMW had little noobs, but some of the greatest xmodders..

I'm on here to help the newbies to the hobby, then I frequent some sites with less of them for help on projects. All I'm saying is we need more members that know ALOT about what they're talking about, and less of a noob-ish atmosphere (place sometimes reminds me of RS).

TheB1GDude
08-15-2007, 11:36 AM
This board is very noob friendly!

You go on some of the other boards and they rip noobs a new one because they don't know things such as "what does EP stand for?"

But I think that is our problem we don't have any of the old school modders who hang out on the bigger longer running boards - however that being said I think this board has enough collective skill to bring some of those people over to us which should in turn help our member base grow.

Sweed
08-15-2007, 12:16 PM
But I think that is our problem we don't have any of the old school modders who hang out on the bigger longer running boards - however that being said I think this board has enough collective skill to bring some of those people over to us which should in turn help our member base grow.

I think I'm the only reall old-school modder here (who else is going full-out on a Gen1?). But that's part of it. If we got a few old school guys over here, doing some cool projects (not just body, Xmodification's a god) but in the chassis, it would help.

We need a real build of. Like across-the-board were you do a serious project or submit one from the past few months, with real prizes to be handed out, that would help it grow..

Another thing is, if a board drops ofline for more than a few days, it's pretty much dead after that.

RedSXmodder
08-15-2007, 12:33 PM

"I"

I don't think that this place would be the same, if it weren't for all the youngsters (what am I saying?) R7R, GSR, and some other occasional forums are for more of the elites. Even I feel noobish there, lol...

Oh, sweed, I'm going all out on mine, too, so don't count your chickens before they hatch, lol....

Later,
RedSXmodder

DRFTKO
08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Personally, I dont expect a lot more "growth" here or on any other Xmod site simply because the future of Xmods is very questionable at the moment and there may be no future to the hobby when it is all said and done.

On a side note I talked to the manager at a local Radio Shack and the manager claimed that they receive most of the new toys (for the fall) around Halloween. This will probablly be when the new Xmods (if there is new Xmods) hit shelves.

xmodsnut
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
DRFTKO is right they like to get them on the shelves in the last quarter between halloween and thanksgiving. Why you ask because of a thing retailers call black friday. it is the day after thanksgivving when most people do their christmas shopping.

civic_guy
08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
YES. Noobs ARE needed for forum growth. Noob is short for newbie and newbie is short for new member. Noob doesn't always mean new to Xmods or R/C it basically means new member. And ACTIVE new membership is the ultimate way to measure site growth. You can measure site growth by post count or thread count but active new members may introduce new perspective or ideas.

Think about water. Cirrculation is needed to keep the water fresh and liveable, if the cirrculation stops the water grows stagnate and the fish die out. Same thing with a forum, new members are vital to the growth of the forum and to maintain the forum.

Second the atmosphere of this forum has changed for the worse imo. In more and more threads people are commenting more and more "well that's stupid" or "I don't like that". And grant you they have a right to express their opinion...but atleast give them credit for the hard work. Atleast say something like "I don't care for the colors but you've done an awesome job on laying the paint"

Also always commenting on how you're a veteran of the forum puts out a very arrogant vibe...especially to new members. Everyone can see the join dates of members and (no offense Sweed) but we ALL know you've been around for awhile so you can stop bringing it up every chance you get. Also there are a lot of members who are like I've been here longer so that means I'm better than anyone who hasn't been here as long and that's just a crock of bull****. If we want to share our love for R/C with others we all need to get past the whole noob VS veteran thing because that just creates a tension filled atmosphere around the forum.

You can controll very easily how active your members are and that is to keep them motivated about the hobby. We all have something in common and that is our love for R/C, you could say we're almost like a family and we need to start supporting each other with advice and encouragment. Its ok to try and be better than someone else but lately I've noticed people becoming real arrogant about it and getting real cocky. The whole "mine is better than yours" is really annoying and really 1st grade. I remember posting up a project thread for my Lancer and all one particular member would say was....well my Lancer is faster. And anyone whose posted up a project thread for feedback knows that, that kinda thing gets old really fast.

Anyways the main point of what I'm trying to say is we need to welcome new members and get over ourselves when it comes to how long we've been in the hobby...let our work speak for our experience not the date we joined the forum. If someone doesn't have as much experience, it doesn't mean they should gtfo the forum...or that they're not as good as anyone else...who knows, they may be the next great thing in R/C.

meme405
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
i really dont understand why we have post count...? does it really matter. i mean the longer you've been on the forum just means that you:

A) asked lots of questions
B) spammed
c) made up awnsers even when you have no idea what your saying
d) know something about something and made it clear on more than one ocasion by acting arrogant and saying something like " it means ________, how come you dont know. your such a noob"

Dont lie everyones done it i on the other hand have done nothing but that. which i think is what sets people apart, its how often you do these things that determines your "noob level".

Civi guy, Amen to your reply.

RedSXmodder
08-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Jeez, hell of a post there Mohandas Ghandi, lol...

"He speaks the truth, belief or disbelief lies with you, to die without leaving a corpse, that is the way of us Gabdos..."

(Quote from Zelda "Majora's Mask)

Later,
RedSXmodder

Aft3rMath
08-15-2007, 11:26 PM
My concern is that I do stuff and hardly get aknowleged for it, I'm almost fully ignored but a small few, hell not to flame anyone but people that post pics of their fully stock cars get more posts than me? it's discouraging.

meme405
08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
so your admitting that you do this for the reward of someone else that you've never met and could very well be a 6 year old, saying "wow great job, im a total noob i cant do that..."

Aft3rMath
08-16-2007, 01:40 AM
no, but if you look at my posts I like feedback so I can further my mods. I look for "oh try this" or "thats cool but" and what not, not "omgz i luvz yu lang tyme."

texan_idiot25
08-16-2007, 03:05 AM
more interesting projects is one way to do it. for instance, just the few I can think of at the moment; go look at numbchux's crawler, my crawler, and maybe the dmx dragster, all of which have several thousand views.

some you guys really aught to think outside the box, and work outside of what you can normally do, and keep a well documented thread. thats the stuff that gets remembered.

because here, theres not much thats worth remembering currently, thats XMS exclusive, if you get what I mean. Like Xmodification broadcasts his projects on many forums. But its members that jsut stick here that need to go and make crazy crap. XMW has the GSR gang, CowboySiR, many others and myself that have stuff that gets spread around, as does XMW's names and links.

You get guys here to do wild stuff, word spreads. ;)

Numbchux
08-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Mohandas Ghandi

Mohandas? who's that?! :p

This site is catered to people who are new to the hobby. it is set up as a stepping stone between the "I was in RS today....and saw these Xmod things" people, and those hanging around on other boards. What I find a shame, is the lack of patience to remain here to help the newbies once people have outgrown that stage. there are only a handful of exceptions, and most of them are mods.

it's the same reason I hang out on Yotatech.com instead of pirate4x4. if I were to ask some of the simple engine questions on pirate that I do on yotatech, I wouldn't be here today. But I don't know the answers, and many searches didn't fix that.....what else am I to do?

ditto Ultimate Subaru vs. NASIOC.

want to see a sweet build by someone who is made of $$$? go to NASIOC, XMW or pirate.....want to ask a simple question and keep your head? go to USMB, XMS or Yotatech.

While the information lacks a bit, the atmosphere is much more accessible.

many of the changes/updates that I've made here are based completely on USMB and YT.

the things I've tried to bring this site that others don't have, is a comprehensive list of locations to buy xmods parts closely accompanied by other users' experiences with these sources (the Vender Feedback section). and a comprehensive, and well-organized write-up source, which, unfortunately, has received virtually zero attention since it's creation, so I'm about ready to abandon that attempt before I put any more work into it.

my point. I'm quite happy with the site as-is. I don't see the need for any larger member base. what I would like to see, is the members we do have to stick around for the long haul. but with a hobby like this, that's pretty rare, and most of the people who are into it enough to stick with it, have no use for the newbie-catered atmosphere here, and would rather hang out elsewhere.

Sweed
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
what I would like to see, is the members we do have to stick around for the long haul. but with a hobby like this, that's pretty rare, and most of the people who are into it enough to stick with it, have no use for the newbie-catered atmosphere here, and would rather hang out elsewhere.

There's some stuff here and there, but this is about the best noob friendly place on the Net. XMW is great for some crazy modder that wants critizim (sp?), GSR is great if you're wallet rivals BG's, R7R is good if you want some professional advice on a project.

But what I want to know is why people do stick around here, to help the 'noob' or 'newbies'? It's good and promotes the hobby, but why do people leave?

xmodmaverick
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Here are a few things i have to say, you either agree, or disagree, all in the same.

1) I have seen several times when a New guy posts up his stock car thinking it's SO cool, people flush him down the toiled saying:
"Dude, take those stupid decals off!"
":***:"
"That's just stupid. It's 1completely stock, and it has those retarded decals on it. IT PLAIN OUT SUCKS!"

I remember when I got my first gen1, I had not looked at any xmod website before. My 65 stang was bone stock, and it was my pride and joy. Then, Igot on the internet and posted it, people started ratting on me. Well, I disapeared from the online scene as superstang92. and became who I am now a few years later after I had more experience in the hobby, Xmodmaverick. I stay here to help the noobs who went through what I did. I also stay here to ask about my crazy, stupid, and sometimes outright suicidal ideas.

2) I think we do need to start spreading the word, like in your email sigs, or just some ads around your site. I have 3 xmod sites, and I have a link to here on all of them.

3) More projects, information, and How to's posted in the XMS repair manual would be like nitro to this site.

Well, like i said, that's just my 2 cents (technically, it's my 3)

Lancer_Man
08-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Well, keep in mind that if you want a large forum, it has to be public, and then it is susceptible to noobs.

Make a private forum, like GSR, and there are no noobs, but less action than public forums.

It's really up to you.